Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service/Quality control is still as bad as ever I guess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^
And, to add to the above, if figures like these are accurate, Tesla sales are almost non-existent in Japan.
January 2017 Electric Vehicle Sales Figures For Japan | CleanTechnica
EV Sales: Japan May 2017

Compare that to US estimates at Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard.

That further lessens the odds of someone receiving a substandard Tesla in Japan even coming here. (Yes, I know of a few Tesla drivers in Japan who post here. Off the top of my head, I can think of one, who I've been involved in a thread with)

Did you know that European Delivery Teslas undergo a custom "fix it up and reassemble" step in Europe (to qualify for some tax breaks I think)? I bet they catch a lot of stuff in there and fix it on the spot too which reduces complaints (but does not totally eliminate. I saw some emanating from Europe).
Similarly in Japan (where they also add the front fender looking cam to satisfy some local regulations and who knows what other adjustments).
I saw some bad reports from HongKong so no idea about Chinese market.
And then the Tesla Store that's supposedly doing some prep before delivery - that also differs from place to place I am sure!

Also consider the sample bias that these forums only get complaints in English, not everybody speaks English, not even in USA! How's your Mandarin or Japanese or some European language skills to read some of those forums?

^^^
And, to add to the above, if figures like these are accurate, Tesla sales are almost non-existent in Japan.
January 2017 Electric Vehicle Sales Figures For Japan | CleanTechnica
EV Sales: Japan May 2017

Compare that to US estimates at Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard.

That further lessens the odds of someone receiving a substandard Tesla in Japan even coming here. (Yes, I know of a few Tesla drivers in Japan who post here. Off the top of my head, I can think of one, who I've been involved in a thread with)
Japan sales are in fact negligible as per this link Tesla Europe Registration Stats
I check UK forums, and some of the euro forums as well as Aussie forums... seems all good, rarely do I see the level of whinging from Americans - but some I have seen do have legit probs, (20% or so), most do not imo. But as I said, many of the people complaining appear to have had issues with past cars (mercs, BMW, Porsche etc), a few have even said so.... nothing is ever good enough for them. I believe this site attracts that demographic from America who are used to the finest and are perfectionists - these people are more likely to complain about minor issues and make out its a fundamental fault with the car eg wind noise, minor panel alignment etc. I've been the tesla showroom here in Artarmon a few times, never noticed alignment issues but if I stick my face up real close or photograph an X or S and zoom in 100 times, I sometimes see its off by a millimeter or so. So what, I can barely see its off. I'm going to start collecting these posts by Americans to show just how ridiculous some of them are.

• well like I said most of the so called issues Americans here are making out as fundamental flaws with the car are 1. wind noise, 2. panel alignment (I would say 20% of what I have seen are legit, the rest are just absolute whingers imo) 3. Creases or specks (Imo 99% of these are ridiculous, I was looking at a post by a guy who demanded his whole seat be replaced due to a crease WTF!!). Ok if the panel alignment is way off, its an issue but without a doubt the vast majority look fine to me until the moron posting zooms in 100 times and points it out. Same goes for wind noise....I suspect these people cannot stand the tought of someone breathing in their car
  • And I ask once again, why is it this only seems to affect buyers in America? And yes the wikipost on this site shows almost 50% of teslas are exported yet all the people whinging that their cars have panel alignment or wind noise issues (which imo the vast majority are just friekin morons who take to the forums as soon as they notice a minor fault) are in the USA???

Well, it's not like you said, because when you use a word like "whinging" it can have many meanings, It seems what you mean is that you deem some issues as unimportant, so I am guessing essentially you are saying the issues exist, but people should ignore them. Now whether it's Americans or not, I am not sure, but as you seem to make up statistical data, I am guessing this is also made up based on your impression.

I am one of the people who had the drivers seat replaced due to a crease in the leather. If I spend over $150k on a car I hold it to a certain standard based on other cars in the market and other cars I have owned. If Tesla disagreed they could have said so, but without question they replaced the seat. You might find it OK to spend your money on an inferior quality item and expect nothing to be rectified, that's your prerogative, but when it is my money I reserve the right to have the quality I paid for.

It might be Americans are more comfortable standing up for themselves than others? Might be with high government subsidies and credits like in Northern Europe people don't have as high a standard for Teslas as they did not pay as much and therefore are not expecting the quality of a higher priced car. Hard to say, it is all just supposition without any real data.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess you don't own a Tesla do you? Always easier to support a brand when you don't have any skin in the game huh? Tell you what, invest $250k in Tesla cars like I have in the last year and then come back and give me a lecture on whinging.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

Nope, and I personally do not see the issues with those seats, but wasn't my money.

Here's what my drivers seat looked like for reference:
f_4QP_FHvYPKHXz7_dB9FwVGepxFwLfornFOJC3E7Wf7oNFjlB2QfXVlc1qTwnZXbq8ZfYrVU6SRc4td8KiTl5VUjMP2dQskeCnA3qS3Mzc-T7iPq05y-zVGSf8hSDYNs1OeIkEkiAuc7YIWHx8EbEsXOWhSqzKr1hjb6uvuDMtLR17C5J3yp0JPTGuUlNUc3Vjew7tADyIdjTWAol69iJVeNG9pRbiTY-g0Z5CyAbOGvsBwLn3p8kye9MPyXQfDgYW1AeYLIOOTuqRDlKsGjULonUMc2dszVWZuROPI_L37tRiSA2Bq9_W-8TDauz7rFy7MB7dYh-GHJkYnvKg8bFFNoWB79U1KbWcheND5y3_x_X9RJicR2s0tCxyGU6qjKObrB1Lu09kCYs9HhaKvIehtWMtKPB7HzP31uV6EQAtXVtImf-fcLXFWb7hq6ZqynutyqREO4GLBlaGpC5Wbg9P7UudRI917OVbmh5rk6GIJ4rHVZF2m45B-ZKqPlraP6oz44bVk22KH0qnuK76h5b5IJYwluuqc5V1TySEwTa947SSWtBx74q09B5tiknuA-5bxaIc2ZGbuGnMG5dRU0YOr2H0plWb7utC3xEcC=w1219-h914-no

Again though, my money and if I choose to complain, Tesla can choose how they respond. In my case they agreed and replaced the seat.

P.S. Interesting you hide your profile, do you even own a Tesla?

First world problem? Yes, of course, it is, but to pay so much for something that is so unpleasant to use/drive... it's very frustrating.There is just something so disheartening about working hard, caring about the environment, and eventually paying such a premium for a car that is inconsistent, at best. My Model X has had myriad problems, and Tesla "customer service" is so bizarre in that each person is polite, seems to "get it," and yet they consistently fail to fix the problems and communicate effectively. While some people have great experiences with Tesla, when it's bad, it seems that it's really bad.

Because Tesla's "escalation" process has failed to yield any communication from Tesla, I am calling a lemon law attorney.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Because Tesla's "escalation" process has failed to yield any communication from Tesla, I am calling a lemon law attorney.

Probably money wasted at this early stage. Check the Lemon Law disclosures that came with the car, write a letter including the form from the disclosure to the Tesla HQ and mail it certified mail and wait (not too long).

When I did suddenly my level of service greatly improved and at one point it even looked like everything was fixed. And when it turned out that more new problems were incoming, everything at the Tesla side was ready for the next step.

I am going to write a bit of a postmortem in this thread once my process finally completes.

I wonder why its almost 99% Americans whinging about issues such as panel alignment and wind noise while european , Asian and Australian forums are not reporting them. Even here almost everyone who claims to have a problem is in the USA... I estimate about 50% of teslas are exported yet its mostly Americans whinging here about the quality hmmmm very strange. Either Tesla suddenly ups its quality when they are exporting or we have many whingers in america.... Which is it?

I actually disagree. My Tesla has been in the shop six times since September 30th, and a few issues remain. Like many forum members I am torn between the exhilarating features and performance and the abysmal quality and issues.

What will I do next? Wait for Q1 2019 and see what Mercedes and Audi will spit out from their labs and put on the streets. One point will of course be alternatives to Superchargers network.

I will then decide

So as a bit of a postmortem:

I contacted Tesla on Dec 15th asking them to take the car back due to mounting annoying issues.
To my surprise the called me back on the next business day and since the process was already started back when they received my original notice in the Summer, I am all approved.
The next call I got was Dec 26, they told that all is ready and they'd like to have the car back by the end of the week - this came somewhat unexpected since I was fully prepared to fight them for a fair price based on other reports. The only point of contention was the tax credit that I was not sure I am eligible to file for when the car is no longer in my possession. While originally we agreed they'll include a note in the release that they'll cover this, in the end that was hard to do, so instead we settled for the email from service manager that said they are assuring me I am eligible for the tax credit and if IRS would disagree at any point, Tesla would reimburse me for the tax credit value and any penalties imposed.

Today, Dec 29 they came to pick up my car, the paperwork (unsurprisingly) said that they are buying my car as a goodwill gesture and not as any sort of a warranty claim or any unconformity. So I guess it'll join the CPO fleet soon?

This I think greatly highlights that you really should file necessary lemon law notice even if you don't plan to follow it all the way through at the moment you meet the criteria. Not only my service drastically improved very soon after that, if you change your mind about the whole matter later, the long parts of the process likely have already passed in the background.

Surprisingly I fully assumed they'll bring me the check, but it's coming in the mail at some later date, huh?

Note to future buyers, if you are looking at a deep blue model X 100D with just over 5k miles on the odometer, mid-March 2017 production, red tesla-logo decals on the wheels - double check passenger side FWD window operations, some steering wheel/car shaking at 65+ mph and integrity of driver door's insides. Also know you'll be getting a former unicorn ;) I guess I should put a VIN here too?

The car was a dream to drive when it was working properly and I am sure going to miss that part of it! Here's hoping QA would drastically improve in the future.

IMG_20171229_154947.jpg

So as a bit of a postmortem:

I contacted Tesla on Dec 15th asking them to take the car back due to mounting annoying issues.

View attachment 269775

Not far behind you, still awaiting final offer for my 2017 Blue X. Today's newest issue is the driver's seat no longer changes position when changing profiles. Have had enough now I guess, have only had mine back from service 3 days most recently after they had if for almost all of December.

Good luck with the Lada, or whatever you buy next. There is no way, whatever it is, that it will be less reliable I am betting.

So they did not give you any advance notice that they are taking the car back? If I wanted a replacement vehicle does that I mean I have to order one after they take it back? There will be few months gap without a car.