Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service/Quality control is still as bad as ever I guess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A car branded a lemon is a lemon... the future owner should be made aware.

Where's the brand? I don't think the iron even got hot because he never even commenced a lemon law action. If I have the facts correctly, after he threatened one Tesla did a good will gesture buy back. So it's not branded a lemon. Otherwise, anyone who threatens lemon law litigation would put the manufacturer in the position of not being inclined to do a good will gesture buy back because they are doing this to save on litigation costs. Even if they win that litigation, and it's not branded a lemon, they lose a lot more in unrecoverable legal fees -- plus they get a ton of bad press. This buy back is just a small cost of doing business since they can fix and resell it. If you think they are now required, even morally or ethically, to label it a "lemon" as a CPO we will agree to disagree on that one. Or maybe you just expect them to tell all the problems the prior owner told them and that they fixed? That's called asking for the repair logs and if Tesla declines then it's caveat emptor.

Also, I don't see the issues as things that just can't be fixed --- that's why vehicles come in parts. There's also a lot of us out there who don't sweat what we consider the smaller stuff but that's not to say that others should not. I'm just saying it can be fixed, sold with full warranty, and someone could be really happy with it whereas someone else will fester for days over misaligned chrome that someone else doesn't even notice let alone sweat about it if they do notice.

So they did not give you any advance notice that they are taking the car back? If I wanted a replacement vehicle does that I mean I have to order one after they take it back? There will be few months gap without a car.
You most certainly can order a new car before they take your car back.

I am sure you might have agreed with them for a loaner until the other car was ready for you to pickup too, this is just something I did not really explore because it was not an option I was going to pursue.
I know that you can roll the refund into a new Tesla too.

Where's the brand? I don't think the iron even got hot because he never even commenced a lemon law action. If I have the facts correctly, after he threatened one Tesla did a good will gesture buy back. So it's not branded a lemon. Otherwise, anyone who threatens lemon law litigation would put the manufacturer in the position of not being inclined to do a good will gesture buy back because they are doing this to save on litigation costs. Even if they win that litigation, and it's not branded a lemon, they lose a lot more in unrecoverable legal fees -- plus they get a ton of bad press. This buy back is just a small cost of doing business since they can fix and resell it. If you think they are now required, even morally or ethically, to label it a "lemon" as a CPO we will agree to disagree on that one. Or maybe you just expect them to tell all the problems the prior owner told them and that they fixed? That's called asking for the repair logs and if Tesla declines then it's caveat emptor.

Also, I don't see the issues as things that just can't be fixed --- that's why vehicles come in parts. There's also a lot of us out there who don't sweat what we consider the smaller stuff but that's not to say that others should not. I'm just saying it can be fixed, sold with full warranty, and someone could be really happy with it whereas someone else will fester for days over misaligned chrome that someone else doesn't even notice let alone sweat about it if they do notice.

I was under the impression he did file for a lemon and thats why Tesla repurchased the car back from him.

I was under the impression he did file for a lemon and thats why Tesla repurchased the car back from him.
I filed the initial lemon notice (first step before going to arbitration). I was advised that I do not need to go the arbitration route because they would like to just buy my car and they made a very compelling offer that made no sense to go to the arbitration in the end, everybody saves time and money - win/win.

Not us, we lose APE ROOT!! LOL ;)[/QUOTE

Agreed, those were great moments.
Up there with the too few salvage threads the moment
IT WORKS!

Thanks.

verygreen, you the only rooted APE, right?
Keys to that should be passed along, really.
Hopefully.

Sorry to see you go. You made a great contribution here.
Busting into the S OS.
That took some serious stones.
A bit more risky than maybe bricking an old phone,
or a playstation, eh?

Heh. Classic.

Hope someone picks up the torch.

So as a bit of a postmortem:

I contacted Tesla on Dec 15th asking them to take the car back due to mounting annoying issues.
To my surprise the called me back on the next business day and since the process was already started back when they received my original notice in the Summer, I am all approved.
The next call I got was Dec 26, they told that all is ready and they'd like to have the car back by the end of the week - this came somewhat unexpected since I was fully prepared to fight them for a fair price based on other reports. The only point of contention was the tax credit that I was not sure I am eligible to file for when the car is no longer in my possession. While originally we agreed they'll include a note in the release that they'll cover this, in the end that was hard to do, so instead we settled for the email from service manager that said they are assuring me I am eligible for the tax credit and if IRS would disagree at any point, Tesla would reimburse me for the tax credit value and any penalties imposed.

Today, Dec 29 they came to pick up my car, the paperwork (unsurprisingly) said that they are buying my car as a goodwill gesture and not as any sort of a warranty claim or any unconformity. So I guess it'll join the CPO fleet soon?

This I think greatly highlights that you really should file necessary lemon law notice even if you don't plan to follow it all the way through at the moment you meet the criteria. Not only my service drastically improved very soon after that, if you change your mind about the whole matter later, the long parts of the process likely have already passed in the background.

Surprisingly I fully assumed they'll bring me the check, but it's coming in the mail at some later date, huh?

Note to future buyers, if you are looking at a deep blue model X 100D with just over 5k miles on the odometer, mid-March 2017 production, red tesla-logo decals on the wheels - double check passenger side FWD window operations, some steering wheel/car shaking at 65+ mph and integrity of driver door's insides. Also know you'll be getting a former unicorn ;) I guess I should put a VIN here too?

The car was a dream to drive when it was working properly and I am sure going to miss that part of it! Here's hoping QA would drastically improve in the future.

View attachment 269775

Too late to edit my message, but the VIN is 5YJXCDE2XHF040526, hey, visitor from google, heed the advice above ;)

So as a bit of a postmortem:

I contacted Tesla on Dec 15th asking them to take the car back due to mounting annoying issues.
To my surprise the called me back on the next business day and since the process was already started back when they received my original notice in the Summer, I am all approved.
The next call I got was Dec 26, they told that all is ready and they'd like to have the car back by the end of the week - this came somewhat unexpected since I was fully prepared to fight them for a fair price based on other reports. The only point of contention was the tax credit that I was not sure I am eligible to file for when the car is no longer in my possession. While originally we agreed they'll include a note in the release that they'll cover this, in the end that was hard to do, so instead we settled for the email from service manager that said they are assuring me I am eligible for the tax credit and if IRS would disagree at any point, Tesla would reimburse me for the tax credit value and any penalties imposed.

Today, Dec 29 they came to pick up my car, the paperwork (unsurprisingly) said that they are buying my car as a goodwill gesture and not as any sort of a warranty claim or any unconformity. So I guess it'll join the CPO fleet soon?

This I think greatly highlights that you really should file necessary lemon law notice even if you don't plan to follow it all the way through at the moment you meet the criteria. Not only my service drastically improved very soon after that, if you change your mind about the whole matter later, the long parts of the process likely have already passed in the background.

Surprisingly I fully assumed they'll bring me the check, but it's coming in the mail at some later date, huh?

Note to future buyers, if you are looking at a deep blue model X 100D with just over 5k miles on the odometer, mid-March 2017 production, red tesla-logo decals on the wheels - double check passenger side FWD window operations, some steering wheel/car shaking at 65+ mph and integrity of driver door's insides. Also know you'll be getting a former unicorn ;) I guess I should put a VIN here too?

The car was a dream to drive when it was working properly and I am sure going to miss that part of it! Here's hoping QA would drastically improve in the future.

View attachment 269775

Thanks for the detailed information.

Have they told you that you are now blacklisted and cannot buy a Tesla in the future? This was what I was told.

Thanks for the detailed information.

Have they told you that you are now blacklisted and cannot buy a Tesla in the future? This was what I was told.
No, did not tell me anything of the sort. Nothing in the paperwork I received indicated this either.

I find it strange for Tesla to blacklist people that have quality problems. Also if you just place a reservation for the car - the accompanying disclosures (at least in US) only allow for them to not honor it if they suspect you are not going to buy or if the model is discontinued so your specific set of options cannot be delivered anymore. So if you still do want one - that's worth a shot.

I'd like to clarify my previous post. I absolutely love Tesla and I love my X. I just hope we can come to a resolution on some of these problems. I really don't want to make Tesla buy back my car, and even if they did I would get another X.
Same here. Mine has been there 5 times to fix my FWD / heat issue and now I have a new issue with the new FWD. To add to the frustration now my passenger side FWD is experiencing the same issue with heat. When the doors don’t produce fault I love the car.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Did you know that European Delivery Teslas undergo a custom "fix it up and reassemble" step in Europe (to qualify for some tax breaks I think)? I bet they catch a lot of stuff in there and fix it on the spot too which reduces complaints (but does not totally eliminate. I saw some emanating from Europe).
Battery packs and bodies get shipped seperately and then "wedded" in the Netherlands. Only combined they are considered cars and that last step qualifies it as "assembled" in Europe (for tax reasons).

My MS DOM 01/17 was a show piece of triple QA failure. Failed at the Fremont factory, failed at assembly in Tilburg, NL, failed quality check before delivery.

I had 2mm gaps in the interiour wood panel (leaving arming rails visible), scratched paint around the trunk, misaligned chrome trims on the passenger side (by as much as 8mm). Radar was not aligned. They suggested an appointment two weeks later for the radar, which I didnt accept and they lost their lunch break the next day. Lucky for me the wrapping needed a 15 min fix, as the car had a punctured tyre after the radar test drive and went flat in the SeC yard.
New fitting wood panels took 6 weeks to arrive in Germany.
Later, the roof turned out not to be properly sealed and starting to whistle at higher speeds. Waiting for my 3rd service appointment for that now as they completely forgot to have a body shop appointment on the last one which had a 6 week run-up to replace the static glass. And an ICE loaner (though EM said something about at least equal or better loaners last year?).
The overall build quality was definitely below the approx. 100,000 lower VIN of my previous MS DOM 04/15 which I was stupid enough to sell for the empty promises of AP2.
In the 10 months since, my folding mirrors stopped working, the driver side door handle stopped working and some other minor issues came up.
So far the car has been in Service about every two months.

Combined, this decreasing build quality and failures to deliver the AP2 promises (heck AP2 still cant do what AP1 can!), my next car will more than likely not be a Tesla anymore. Not an ICE, but not a Tesla.

I have a model X for 3 months now but 2 of them it in the shop to be fixed. Thankfully I got a X as a loaner. but it seems that for my car everybody was sleeping / or not looking it seems. There was no quality control done at all on my tesla. We don't have a lemon law but this one was a good candidate. It is a EU car final assembly in Tilburg. At least they fixed some procedure after my delivery and me complaining.

As I was picking up the car we found 15+ paint issues ranging from bubbels to hairs and even parts not covered in paint. Also a miriad of other issues like not able to charge properly partially fixed by resetting the car 5 times and talking on the phone for a few hours. But still it sucks.

The service center is great but the time it takes is ridiculous. This car is now longer in the shop then in my lifetime of owning cars/motorcycles combined spend in the shop.

I love tesla cars. There is no way back any more. But why so many issues. My leaf delivered the same time has 0 issues. So a budget car has better QA then a Tesla..... Also non of my other cars/motorcycles had any major issues on delivery.

I have a model X for 3 months now but 2 of them it in the shop to be fixed. Thankfully I got a X as a loaner. but it seems that for my car everybody was sleeping / or not looking it seems. There was no quality control done at all on my tesla. We don't have a lemon law but this one was a good candidate. It is a EU car final assembly in Tilburg. At least they fixed some procedure after my delivery and me complaining.

As I was picking up the car we found 15+ paint issues ranging from bubbels to hairs and even parts not covered in paint. Also a miriad of other issues like not able to charge properly partially fixed by resetting the car 5 times and talking on the phone for a few hours. But still it sucks.

The service center is great but the time it takes is ridiculous. This car is now longer in the shop then in my lifetime of owning cars/motorcycles combined spend in the shop.

I love tesla cars. There is no way back any more. But why so many issues. My leaf delivered the same time has 0 issues. So a budget car has better QA then a Tesla..... Also non of my other cars/motorcycles had any major issues on delivery.

Sorry to hear the issues you are having with your brand new X, it's unacceptable not to have QC, and even more so for a vehicle in this price range! Tesla should allocate more resources to resolve these issues prior to delivery otherwise their reputation maybe permanently damaged. Hope the SC will make it right and you don't have to visit them again for a while at least.

Wanted to add my frustration to the post. Second row pasenger seat froze in the forward position. Service ordered a seat on July 16th and said it would be 8-10 weeks for a replacement. In the meantime the passenger seat is slightly forward and the second row pasenger seat is unusable. No more room for guesto_O

Wanted to add my frustration to the post. Second row pasenger seat froze in the forward position. Service ordered a seat on July 16th and said it would be 8-10 weeks for a replacement. In the meantime the passenger seat is slightly forward and the second row pasenger seat is unusable. No more room for guesto_O

Crazy! When did you take delivery of your MX? It does not make any sense for Tesla to put defective cars out in the market now and not only risk losing their reputation, but also add to their expense due to repairs/replacement parts at the SC! I guess when these cars are out of warranty, Tesla may start making a ton of money!! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear the issues you are having with your brand new X, it's unacceptable not to have QC, and even more so for a vehicle in this price range! Tesla should allocate more resources to resolve these issues prior to delivery otherwise their reputation maybe permanently damaged. Hope the SC will make it right and you don't have to visit them again for a while at least.
SC are really trying but for now still slow and not getting there. my car is going back again to the bodyshop for repaint. Again (4th time).
It is not the SC fault but the factory / tesla US. But I think my car is just a bit to much wrong with to get it in 100% perfect shape.

Today they will call and see how to resolve everything and when I can really get my car back. The loaner is nice and all but I want my car. I leave now for holiday with the loaner. It is a bit easier as it is a 100D but still I want my 75D back.