Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Rhetoric...sigh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m sitting outside at my local Tesla Service Center (Covid safety) waiting for them to perform a quick goodwill screen replacement on the MCU1. I had originally brought the car in 2 days ago for the daughterboard replacement and for them to look into why the rear seatbelts randomly lock up and fail to release until the belt is unbuckled and fully reset before the tension is released (I’ve had them look at this 3X over the last 30K miles and they cannot replicate). I sent them a video of the issue while it was happening...they told me it was a safety feature for kids...I’m not buying that one.

Anyways, I dropped the car off with a perfectly good MCU screen and was hopeful to get the car back within the 7 working hours left in the day. I got messaged that a firmware update would take overnight and that I should be able to get the car the following day. No big deal. The next day I get a message at 9am saying service has begun on the car. 3pm I get another message saying it’ll be another day and that a loaner Tesla could be made available. I decline, still no big deal.

50 hours after dropping the car off it’s finally ready for pick up. Problem is there’s now a 1” bubble in the shape of a pennant flag in the upper right corner of the screen. My wife and I talk to a service rep and after examining the issue he says that their technician did not cause the damage because the daughterboard is serviced from underneath the console and the screen is not removed, and that bubbles like this are normal with older models. I did not tell him that the emmc was soldered to the back of the mid-section of the MCU and that a bunch of molex and wires would obstruct any access from the bottom, nor did I tell him the service order notes suggest that the whole unit and screen were removed for the process.

I told him that he should more careful with his language because he was talking in absolutes without possibly knowing the many different possibilities with what could have damaged the screen, like perhaps the bezel got torqued and pinched the top corner of the screen...he said that was not possible. I told him the screen was not damaged when I dropped it off. I was actually trying to help the guy out because he was about to get “served” by my wife who was infuriating at what she was hearing...coincidentally and unfortunately for him she’s an employment defense lawyer and Tesla happens to be one of her clients. If anyone can understand the likelihood of events, all perspectives, and management systems it would be her (she plans to be a mediator after this partner thing gets old).

He tried to defend himself by saying that he has to look after this technicians and with a screen damage like this it could cost someone their job, that they don’t normally have replacements in stock, and to try to understand where he was coming from. He said he didn’t want to get into hypotheticals about how the screen could have been damaged, yet he assumed there was no way they could have caused the damage. He then went on to say that technicians usually make notes on things that are not right with customer cars before they begin the service to protect themselves from liability. My wife asked if a tech would made note of a bubble during the inspection and he said maybe, but not usually because they are common. My wife told him this system has no credibility if there’s no consistency when making contemporaneous notes like this. He said he was just trying to set our expectations because it’s not likely Tesla will do a goodwill repair for this because again...it’s not possible for the tech to have caused the damage. A technician came by with the photos they take upon receiving the vehicle and the photos showed that the bubble did not exist when I dropped the car off. He quickly apologized and said he can get it fixed in an hour.

So here I am sitting at the Service Center wondering if he learned anything at all from talking to me and my wife. Don’t speak in absolute terms if you simply do not know. I wasn’t even remotely mad, but the whole thing would have been smoother if he just said that this was uncommon and that it’s not probable that they caused the damage. But alas they did.

As for the BS about the daughterboard getting replaced from the bottom without removing the screen...we’ve all seen the photos of how the whole unit has to be removed. Furthermore the service record notes a set of 12 and a set of 4 fasteners (SCR,M5X6 and SCR,M3X4) used in addition to the new 64GB daughterboard. I’m going to guess that SCR means screen.

I really do hope no one loses their job over this, mistakes happen, but I hope they learn to communicate better in the future. The whole thing left me feeling like I spent 30 minutes arguing with a used car salesperson.

So if you feel like you’re being lied to, think I logically and use the facts to support yourself. Don’t let them try to BS you.

Long story. But it's definitely possible the technician didn't do anything and by chance the bubble happened while the car was in service. That is a pretty well known defect of the first gen screens. Second gen and on suffer from yellow border. Cant really fault the service people for Tesla not owning up to its own design flaws. I mean the yellow border continues to be an issue and they refuse to correct the underlying issue. Model 3 and Y screens are designed so this isn't an issue

Reactions: MP3Mike
The UV fix is temporary even Tesla says it is.
Is there even a single report of someone needing a second treatment after a period of time? I spend a fair bit of time here and have yet to see one.

Also, based on the research I did when correcting my own yellow border issue with a DIY UV light, and my understanding of UV-cured adhesives, the idea that the treatment is “temporary” seems quite improbable.

why the rear seatbelts randomly lock up and fail to release until the belt is unbuckled and fully reset before the tension is released (I’ve had them look at this 3X over the last 30K miles and they cannot replicate).
I used to fight with the seat belts until I saw an explanation. This one I pulled from a Model3 Owner's Manual.

To securely hold child safety seats, all passenger seating positions are equipped with an automatic locking retractor (ALR) that, by pulling the seat belt beyond the length needed for a typical adult occupant, locks the belt into place until the seat belt is unbuckled and the webbing is fully retracted. The ALR mechanism operates as a ratchet, winding in slack and preventing the seat belt from extending any further until it has been completely rewound.

Maybe Service Center people should be required to read this forum.

Is there even a single report of someone needing a second treatment after a period of time? I spend a fair bit of time here and have yet to see one.

Also, based on the research I did when correcting my own yellow border issue with a DIY UV light, and my understanding of UV-cured adhesives, the idea that the treatment is “temporary” seems quite improbable.

I had a second treatment done on my yellow screen, but I don't think the first treatment was done 100% correctly. There was a small amount of yellow remaining in the bottom right corner that after ~6 months seemed to be a lot more noticeable.

The second treatment worked and all the yellow is gone, and it has held up for 3 months so far.

I do agree with OP. The way the service center managers talk is very unprofessional. I had the same experience recently, with speaking in absolutes. The word "impossible" was used a lot for something that really wasn't impossible. Very frustrating.

I used to fight with the seat belts until I saw an explanation. This one I pulled from a Model3 Owner's Manual.

To securely hold child safety seats, all passenger seating positions are equipped with an automatic locking retractor (ALR) that, by pulling the seat belt beyond the length needed for a typical adult occupant, locks the belt into place until the seat belt is unbuckled and the webbing is fully retracted. The ALR mechanism operates as a ratchet, winding in slack and preventing the seat belt from extending any further until it has been completely rewound.

Maybe Service Center people should be required to read this forum.

Which means there is nothing wrong with OPs seatbelts.

The screen is normally vertical when installed.

If removed, it is likely lying flat for some time to replace the Tegra board that attaches to the back of the MCU.

Is it possible that the upper edge is not sealed as well as the bottom and side edges, and some goo leaked out of the top when it was horizontal?

Just thinking out loud here. The service rep or manager that you spoke to should be familiar with the procedure and be able to confirm this, though he probably doesn’t want to see you again ever.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
Long story. But it's definitely possible the technician didn't do anything and by chance the bubble happened while the car was in service. That is a pretty well known defect of the first gen screens.

Yes it's certainly possible the tech didn't cause it, but them to say that it was impossible is the issue. I mean, the screen was perfectly fine for 100K miles when I dropped off the car (their reception photos prove it). It's certainly possible that the bubble occurred due to no fault of the tech during the 50 hours and 20 miles driven that they had the car. What would you have done and how would you have felt if you dropped off your car bubble-free and found a bubble when you picked it up?

Which means there is nothing wrong with OPs seatbelts.

Not necessarily. Just like the Tesla service rep, you're talking in absolutes without having all the information. I'd accept that there MIGHT be nothing wrong with seatbelts, but here's the issue. I've had no issues with the seatbelts for years, but over the last 2 years the two outside seatbelts have been locking up and not releasing (seizing) with small to average sized adults in the backseat (the center seatbelt does not exhibit this issue). It started with the passenger side rear seatbelt and last month the driver side seatbelt did the same thing for the first time. Oddly, the issue happens only when I'm on a roadtrip and driving for at least 1.5 hours. I've tried to replicate it myself with my wife driving the car but they wouldn't lock and seize no matter how many times I tugged the belt while we were running errands. My friend (a fellow Model S owner) got locked up in my rear seatbelt and said his has never behaved that way either. The Service Agent did reference the ALR system and said they only apply to the rear seatbelts. I don't believe the ALR system is the issue; I believe the ALR system is not working properly in my car and neither myself nor the Tesla tech can reproduce the issue during a short drive.

If this issue persists I might just replace the seatbelts myself since I'm out of warranty. My guess is that the ALR system was designed for child seats so the seat belt will provide ratcheting tension and not release until the child seat is removed.

The screen is normally vertical when installed.

If removed, it is likely lying flat for some time to replace the Tegra board that attaches to the back of the MCU.

Is it possible that the upper edge is not sealed as well as the bottom and side edges, and some goo leaked out of the top when it was horizontal?

Just thinking out loud here. The service rep or manager that you spoke to should be familiar with the procedure and be able to confirm this, though he probably doesn’t want to see you again ever.

I can't imagine the Tegra board being replaced without removing the whole MCU unit. I think the service rep either didn't know about the process or was just trying to blow me off. Honestly, I'm not even sure they installed a new screen to remedy the issue, but I'm happy with the result. Load up time, navigation, and connectivity appear to be faster and more consistent. So far I'm 2 for 2 when using TeslaWaze on the web browser.

I just wish the service rep would looked into the issue further before reaching an assumed conclusion, all of which changed when another tech brought some photographic evidence. Their process was right in that he looked at it, reviewed the reception photos of the car, and made it right based on the conclusion from the photos, but his language was all wrong in saying that screen flaws are normal and it was impossible for the bubble to have been caused under their care.

Reactions: BPeter
Their process was right in that he looked at it, reviewed the reception photos of the car, and made it right based on the conclusion from the photos, but his language was all wrong in saying that screen flaws are normal and it was impossible for the bubble to have been caused under their care.

Only partially right. If you just accepted that it was "impossible" and didn't stick around until the other tech brought the photos then you wouldn't have gotten this resolved.

It just seems to be their default response. Say the easy thing to make the customer go away, and if they put up a fight then maybe take a look at it.

Reactions: maximizese
As kdday said after replacing my own twice now. There’s no way to do it without removing the screen from the main board to access the daughter board.

conversely it’s absolutely possible the tech did nothing and the bubble simply appeared. It’s happened on two of my mcu screens and now my second IC screen. *sugar* luck and no fun