Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service says they can't upgrade my center console USB ports to data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My May, 2021 build MY LR7, is at the Tesla service center. I asked them via my app, if they could install the data module to update/upgrade the center console power only USB C ports, to the original USB C power AND data configuration. The response was no, they could not.

I have no idea if this is because that one wire is missing, or if the port under the passenger side front dash is missing. I read here on Tesla Forums that newer MYs like mine, are missing the data cable in the center console that connects to the data port under the front passenger side dash.

Now I wonder if they've eliminated the data port under the dash as well. Or it may be that Tesla just doesn't want to upgrade the center console USB C ports.

Did someone else post that tesla itself has done this for people? Perhaps, because I havent followed this that closely, but OEMs dont normally do this kind of thing, even if it can be done.

Said another way, Tesla (or any other manufacturer) saying "No we will not do this" is pretty normal, even if its available. I just am not following if they made some other decision somewhere.

Just grab the Abstract Ocean unit. Works flawlessly, install took less than 5 minutes. Full data now on both ports. I have a June 2022 MYP build and had both wires in the center console, just that the USB module didn't have the port in it for the USB plug to plug into.
The USB wire was just taped around the power wire. I free'd it and plugged it into the Abstract Ocean module, and boom. Full power and data.

Just grab the Abstract Ocean unit. Works flawlessly, install took less than 5 minutes. Full data now on both ports. I have a June 2022 MYP build and had both wires in the center console, just that the USB module didn't have the port in it for the USB plug to plug into.
The USB wire was just taped around the power wire. I free'd it and plugged it into the Abstract Ocean module, and boom. Full power and data.
Awesome! This is what I'm going to do.

Warning - YMMV - I have a MYLR delivered end of May 2022 and ordered the Abstract Ocean piece. Just installed it and it doesn't work. I presume the data cable that runs to the MCU is missing. Now I either have to source that cable or return the unit. Does anyone know what that missing cable looks like? Length and type of connectors at each end?

Warning - YMMV - I have a MYLR delivered end of May 2022 and ordered the Abstract Ocean piece. Just installed it and it doesn't work. I presume the data cable that runs to the MCU is missing. Now I either have to source that cable or return the unit. Does anyone know what that missing cable looks like? Length and type of connectors at each end?
Look on their website. I believe they tell you what type of data cable you need. It's not difficult to source.

Look on their website. I believe they tell you what type of data cable you need. It's not difficult to source.
Actually they don't describe or sell the cable. Their support recommended I return the unit. Tparts does sell the same type unit with the cable but they don't really describe the cable and they are backordered on these right now. I would love to source it if I could find specifics on the data cable and avoid returning the part to AO.

Did someone else post that tesla itself has done this for people? Perhaps, because I havent followed this that closely, but OEMs dont normally do this kind of thing, even if it can be done.

Said another way, Tesla (or any other manufacturer) saying "No we will not do this" is pretty normal, even if its available. I just am not following if they made some other decision somewhere.
Tesla clerk at SC asked me if I wanted module installed in my 2022 Model Y (built 12/2021) when I picked up the part in person. This surprised me. I suspect the person assumed the part came with the car. I declined because I already had a TParts module installed and car came with data cable so it is easy for me to swap in the Tesla part if my current module ever breaks.

Actually they don't describe or sell the cable. Their support recommended I return the unit. Tparts does sell the same type unit with the cable but they don't really describe the cable and they are backordered on these right now. I would love to source it if I could find specifics on the data cable and avoid returning the part to AO.
It's a mini usb-b cable on both ends unless I'm missing something. AO even link to one on Amazon.com, its nothing special.

"Compatibility Note:For Model Year 2022 Model 3 & Y that do not have the data capability on the center console ports, Vehicles delivered in and after June 2022 probably have the USB cable removed by the factory. But, there is a solution! Please refer to this video to understand the cable routing, and if you're comfortable doing that, you can purchase the cable required from Amazon here (we will carry own own stock soon)."

It's a mini usb-b cable on both ends unless I'm missing something. AO even link to one on Amazon.com, its nothing special.

"Compatibility Note:For Model Year 2022 Model 3 & Y that do not have the data capability on the center console ports, Vehicles delivered in and after June 2022 probably have the USB cable removed by the factory. But, there is a solution! Please refer to this video to understand the cable routing, and if you're comfortable doing that, you can purchase the cable required from Amazon here (we will carry own own stock soon)."
Thank you, somehow I missed that on the website and I find it interesting that they recommended I return the unit.

The cable is just a male mini usb to male mini usb. Easily sourced on Amazon…