Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service, servicepack and cost of service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello,

Talked to the delivery guy. He asked me if I want the service pack. I did read all the info but really dont understand why i should buy prepaid service during the same four years that I have new car warranty? my second thought is the car is supposed to have very little parts and need of maintainance. So how come the cost of service is like 800 USD? that is more than i payed for BMW big service after new car warranty! and what do tesla serve in the model s? wiper blades i can change myself... warranty is valid without service?

Yes a bit confused here to be honest... :)

Did ask the servicecenter and he admitted it can sound strange.... Hmm...

Another thing is that i would expect free service the first 3-4 years like BMW, audi etc do...

thoughts?

There are tons of threads on this subject.

Yes - there is not much to service. Yes $800 is a total ripoff. My common sense meter had declared it a bad deal at $475 US. What it amounts to guaranteed is wiper blades, brake fluid every 2 years and alignment. There is some language about various updates ("hardware upgrades") but it isn't clear and far from guaranteed. There are numerous hardware upgrades that people aren't getting and TSBs and warranty items are guaranteed regardless.

There is an inspection - value is questionable.

It does cover brake pads but wearing them out in 4 years or 50,000 miles requires a bit of abuse.

Is the service plan worth it? | Forums | Tesla Motors
The other forum

I'm with jerry33 for the Ranger service. I live along way from Raleigh.

81AZCESJmKL._SL1500_.jpg

thanks. Had the same feeling... I think a smart move of Tesla would be to give us free service u der the warranty period and offer an extension of warranty and service pack for year 5-8.

Nothing in life is free, even the BMW or Audi included service plans. ;)
As Musk has stated clearly that service is run as a break even operation, not a profit center, I would lean towards the notion that the service plan is not in fact too expensive. Quite the contrary, unlimited service calls, including loaner and valet, and proactive hardware updates as needed (even if you didn't realize you needed it) all sounds like a very good deal to me for $475 a year. I utilized it 3 times this year (or rather will be three in a couple weeks when it goes in for the 1 year visit). I don't think I would have bothered with the hassle of taking it in for the minor fix or the tire rotation this past year without knowing I had everything covered and a valet/loaner available, so the repercussion for me is I got a better car (all updated and maintained to highest standard) throughout the year for $475 versus not having it in tip top shape otherwise.

well during new car warranty for a 130K USD car that is said to have very few parts that need maintainance it sounds very expensive to me. Used to all inclusive for the three first years. yes its included in the price of for example BMW. Meaning have to add almost 20K USD in service when comparing then? Swedish tests of Tesla also reacted on the expensive service.

for people needing the ranger service or driving a lot (40000 km per yer) it make sense though.

I still dont get what they do at service that is not included in new car warranty. For me in sweden we switch the tires between winter and summer ourselves twice per year plus no rotating possible on P85+.. wiperblades i change myself. Brakepads seem to last for 3 years+... so what are they doing? brake oil? or do I pay to get my new car warranty done? all issues should be fixed for free during warranty. I asked about ranger service when i get a flat and that is included without service pack. So for people not needing ramgers i dont get this pricing and service strategy. Include it in the car during warranty and create combined warranty/service extension packs instead! i would consider buying that!

Or do the early adoptors pay for the establishment of service centers? sounds like that more than value for the money...

well during new car warranty for a 130K USD car that is said to have very few parts that need maintainance it sounds very expensive to me. Used to all inclusive for the three first years. yes its included in the price of for example BMW. Meaning have to add almost 20K USD in service when comparing then? Swedish tests of Tesla also reacted on the expensive service.

for people needing the ranger service or driving a lot (40000 km per yer) it make sense though.

I still dont get what they do at service that is not included in new car warranty. For me in sweden we switch the tires between winter and summer ourselves twice per year plus no rotating possible on P85+.. wiperblades i change myself. Brakepads seem to last for 3 years+... so what are they doing? brake oil? or do I pay to get my new car warranty done? all issues should be fixed for free during warranty. I asked about ranger service when i get a flat and that is included without service pack. So for people not needing ramgers i dont get this pricing and service strategy. Include it in the car during warranty and create combined warranty/service extension packs instead! i would consider buying that!

Or do the early adoptors pay for the establishment of service centers? sounds like that more than value for the money...

Then don't buy it, simple enough. You can certainly pay for service ala carte if the ranger service isn't a pull. Experience so far in the US has been that the difference between the prepaid service plans and the ala carte service has been relatively minimal. My own anecdotal experience has been that it's been easier to get loaners / valet service for us than others perhaps because of our prepaid unlimited ranger service but other than that, not much difference - however we have the comfort of knowing that if something should happen with the car, Tesla would cover it and with the unknowns (at the time) of how reliable the car would turn out to be, it was well worth the peace of mind.

thanks! confirms what i thought. sounds like the value is for people with no serivecenter around or people that do drive a lot...

Amyone have a list of what a model s service consists of? for my Bmws it was mostly oilservice, change of AC filter etc. So curious what Tesla actually do t the annual service in addition to fixing free warranty issues? for that i assume its just report an issue and it fixed for free in addition to other Well known warranty fixes?

thanks! confirms what i thought. sounds like the value is for people with no serivecenter around or people that do drive a lot...

Amyone have a list of what a model s service consists of? for my Bmws it was mostly oilservice, change of AC filter etc. So curious what Tesla actually do t the annual service in addition to fixing free warranty issues? for that i assume its just report an issue and it fixed for free in addition to other Well known warranty fixes?

Honestly. The tesla annual service is a ripoff. And that is either with the prepaid or without. We just did ours last week and for the most part it was warranty work. Other than the warranty items, they change wiper blades, change batteries in remotes, rotate tires, alignment. And yes, that was it, right off the invoice I just reviewed. So, a total of $100 worth of work?? Crazy

I'm picking up an inventory car on Friday, and despite the questionable need for a service plan, it works out to be only $42 per month or $1.40 per day.

Even if most of those warranty things are covered, it seems like pretty inexpensive insurance to have *everything else* covered as well. Here's what Tesla says is included:

Tesla Service includes
  • Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
  • Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)
  • 24 hour roadside assistance
  • System monitoring
  • Remote diagnostics
  • Hardware upgrades
I don't know what "hardware upgrades" are, but given that the car I'm getting already has 8,000 miles on it, and unknown (to me) history, I think it's pretty good insurance for "piece of mind" that I really don't have to worry about paying any more for service items above and beyond warranty.

And I'm someone who *never* buys a service plan, because there's too much raw profit built into them. I don't think that's the case with TM.

Honestly. The tesla annual service is a ripoff. And that is either with the prepaid or without. We just did ours last week and for the most part it was warranty work. Other than the warranty items, they change wiper blades, change batteries in remotes, rotate tires, alignment. And yes, that was it, right off the invoice I just reviewed. So, a total of $100 worth of work?? Crazy

The Annual Inspection part is hard to put a price tag on. If they find something it's could be invaluable. If everything is A-Okay, it's a bit pricy.

I drive about 20k miles a year, not having an annual inspection, etc. for my $90k+ car seems penny wise and pound foolish.

The Annual Inspection part is hard to put a price tag on. If they find something it's could be invaluable. If everything is A-Okay, it's a bit pricy.

I drive about 20k miles a year, not having an annual inspection, etc. for my $90k+ car seems penny wise and pound foolish.

I still don't understand the point of the inspection and why people think it's so invaluable. If something breaks, Tesla will fix it under warranty. Roadside assistance will get your car, and you'll probably even get a loaner while it's being fixed. I'm willing to take a chance. I may pay for a one shot inspection right before my warranty runs out, but anything else seems unnecessary.

I still don't understand the point of the inspection and why people think it's so invaluable. If something breaks, Tesla will fix it under warranty. Roadside assistance will get your car, and you'll probably even get a loaner while it's being fixed. I'm willing to take a chance. I may pay for a one shot inspection right before my warranty runs out, but anything else seems unnecessary.

Inspections find things before they fail. For example, I get regular brake inspections, so I can replace the rotor/pads before my brakes actually fail. After they fail is a little too late and generally more expensive to repair.

Also, I have a 4+4 years service agreement, so it extends beyond the period when Tesla will come pick up my car when something breaks under warranty.

Last edited:

One of the things they check is the fluid in the reduction gearbox. I'd guess if you don't have it checked and the reduction gears seized...