Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service - still a complete joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for just over a year now. Over the last few days, I've started to hear a squeaking sound coming from the passenger front of the car when cornering and driving over bumps at low speeds. My guess is that it's a suspension issue.

I set up a service appointment in the app and was texted right after. I asked for mobile service. No response. I received another text a day or two later. I asked for mobile service. No response.

Yesterday I received a call from the service center I set up the appointment with. They wanted to confirm the details of the issue I am having and then told me I was all set to bring it in. I again asked for mobile service and was told it wasn't possible with this type of repair. I get it.

This service center is 80 miles away from me, an hour and a half drive with traffic. I asked if a loaner vehicle would be available for me. I was told I was expected to wait since the repair would "only" take about 2 hours. Add an hour to that for the unavoidable delays that always occur during these types of repairs and the inability for any car mechanic/dealership to operate on time ever (at least in my experience).

I asked if valet service was available to pick my car up. Nope. I asked if there are any Saturday appointments available. Nope.

Let's look at some numbers here. We're at 3 hours for the round trip to and from the service center, plus 3 hours for the repair. That's 6 hours of my time, a $450 value since I am expected to do this on a work day. Let's add 2 more hours since I'll need to use my PTO to cover the full day since I won't be able to go into the office anyways on this day. That's $600 of my time that I'm expected to spend between travel and waiting for this repair to correct an issue that I did not cause.

Am I looking at this the wrong way? Should I just be comfortable with Tesla bending me over and going in dry? Are my expectations unreasonable? I have gotten valet service and loaner vehicles from Cadillac and Audi dealers for a lot less than this.

The lack of loaners is a sad thing, especially for people that have to travel a long distance to the nearest service center.
Tesla has the technology to easily let you drop the car off the evening before, do all the paperwork online, and pick the car up again the next evening. Even better would be to let you drop it off and pick up a loaner that's unlocked by the phone app.

More service centers would be a help, too. I probably wouldn't have bought the car if I had to drive 80 miles to get servicing done, especially with the lack of loaners.

I've had my Model 3 for just over a year now. Over the last few days, I've started to hear a squeaking sound coming from the passenger front of the car when cornering and driving over bumps at low speeds. My guess is that it's a suspension issue.

I can't speak to Tesla service, but I have had the same issue for the past couple weeks (though I haven't noticed it in the past few days). I'm curious what your results end up being.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
My experience with Tesla service, both mobile and at two different centers, has been excellent. My car has had few issues (Less than my prior BMWs) so I don’t (fortunately!) have more than a few experiences in two years/37k miles.

In every case they were on time, did what they were supposed to do, I didn’t have to go back for them to fix it again, and in one case covered a problem under warranty that they didn’t have to.

As for your assessment of their not giving a loaner for a two hour repair; I side with Tesla on that call.

The fact you need to drive to a service center (at least for some issues) was (or, should have been) known prior to your purchase. So no sympathy there.

The fact that you need to take time off of work to deal with such an issue: unfortunately, not a situation unique to Tesla, or car (or house, or lots of other things) ownership.

jb

I set up a service appointment in the app and was texted right after. I asked for mobile service. No response. I received another text a day or two later. I asked for mobile service. No response.

Yesterday I received a call from the service center I set up the appointment with. They wanted to confirm the details of the issue I am having and then told me I was all set to bring it in. I again asked for mobile service and was told it wasn't possible with this type of repair. I get it.

This service center is 80 miles away from me, an hour and a half drive with traffic. I asked if a loaner vehicle would be available for me. I was told I was expected to wait since the repair would "only" take about 2 hours. Add an hour to that for the unavoidable delays that always occur during these types of repairs and the inability for any car mechanic/dealership to operate on time ever (at least in my experience).

I asked if valet service was available to pick my car up. Nope. I asked if there are any Saturday appointments available. Nope.

Let's look at some numbers here. We're at 3 hours for the round trip to and from the service center, plus 3 hours for the repair. That's 6 hours of my time, a $450 value since I am expected to do this on a work day. Let's add 2 more hours since I'll need to use my PTO to cover the full day since I won't be able to go into the office anyways on this day. That's $600 of my time that I'm expected to spend between travel and waiting for this repair to correct an issue that I did not cause.

Am I looking at this the wrong way? Should I just be comfortable with Tesla bending me over and going in dry? Are my expectations unreasonable? I have gotten valet service and loaner vehicles from Cadillac and Audi dealers for a lot less than this.
My service has been very good. I am happy to trade you my Volt for your Model 3 so you can go to your local Chevy dealer, which I assume is closer.

• Funny
Reactions: Tessaract
Totally different because of the dealerships. No manufacturer except Tesla provides end customer service. In this case, you take the bad with the good.
Why any difference? Eliminate the "dealership" comparison. That was NOT my question. My question was: "any other car brands "?
IMO every car brand, no matter its structure, should offer service where they're sold.
Just common sense.
If I walk into a brand X "showroom": (say Lamborghini or Bentley) in Monaco and buy a $250,000 car, should I not expect service to be performed right there, NOT at Sant'Agata Bolognese. Italy or Northern UK???

i had to go in a couple weeks ago to get my front bumper cover replaced (van nuys - requested burbank but was redirected to van nuys ). the actual service was easy but the communication was awful. the people who text you are home workers for sure and they do take a day to respond to you. i would get a text from them and i would respond back immediately with a follow up question and it would take until the next day to respond.

customer service AFTER the sale is weak.

Reactions: sasinsam
Understand that experiences vary but...

I recently needed service on my M3 LR AWD. The A/C condenser failed late Friday afternoon.

I got a hold of Tesla service rep on the phone. The service rep was very helpful and friendly. They had me try a few things - reboot, etc. No luck. They also acknowledged that the car had reported a fault to the Tesla mothership.

At their recommendation, without an appointment, I just showed up a the Tesla SC in Superior, Colorado (near Boulder) Monday morning.

I found them to be very accommodating. They confirmed that no loaners were available due to COVID but did offer Uber credits. Totally understandable. There are a lot of inconveniences caused by COVID...not getting a loaner car should be the LEAST of anyone's concerns during these times.

Even though they were booked solid they accepted my car and said they'd do their best.

The service manager called later in the day to let me know that they started to research the problem but probably would not know for sure until the next day.

As promised, I got a call Tuesday morning to let me know they identified the problem with the condenser. They did not have the part in stock but had organized getting one from a nearby Denver SC.

Another call Tuesday early afternoon - part arrived and the technician was working on it but no promises it would be ready before COB. Service manager explained it takes 4-5 hours to replace the condenser and test.

Got another call late Tuesday afternoon apologizing that they would need it for one more day to finish the installation and testing.

Wednesday mid-morning - got another call. Car was ready to pick up. Worked perfect. Zero cost - all covered by warranty.

Given I had no appointment I'd say that was exceptional service - best I could expect.

When I got my car 4 yrs ago. The SC in JAX was great. Now it's a joke. No more ranger visits, drive 60 miles. They downloaded new sw in my car. Everytime it screws up something. I drive up there man at desk flat out lied to my face. I showed him pictures, he then said, ""I have no clue""
Last one was they removed the USB option from Music choices. I sent in a picture, no reply.
My coolant system was not working properly. I asked for ranger, no, too complicated for him. Sent me appointment, with invoice for new #2 pump. $600. I changed pump, $50, Fixed problem.
The SC is too small now. Its jammed to the wall. Needs to put on second shift or move. There were 60 cars in lot last time I was there.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Most of your complaints center around your choice to live 80 miles from the service center. Not Tesla’s fault.

The last time I checked with a mobile ranger, they don’t work on issues that require the car to be lifted. It seems highly probable that lifting the car would be required to diagnose a suspension issue. Again, this isn’t their fault.

Their willingness to do the repair while you wait actually seems like outstanding service given your location.

This... actually sounds like an improvement for Tesla Service.

They actually gave you a time estimate? That's huge! They won't tell me if they expect to have the car for one hour or one week. Do I go back home? Do I not? Do I stay in a hotel? (the nearest service centre is 5 hours away from me).

This is the usual experience for me:
  • No time estimate, just come on the appointed day. Book unpaid time off plus accommodations because they won't agree to even work on it during the booked time.
  • THE DAY BEFORE THE APPOINTMENT, THEY CANCEL AND MOVE IT. I lost a day's work and accommodations costs. Thanks. Rebook accommodations. Take another unpaid day.
  • Just kidding, they can do Mobile Service. On a different day at a different time. But Mobile Service isn't what you think, and you need to drive 1h20m there. Cancel accommodations again, rebook unpaid day off.
  • When you get there, they ask why you booked Mobile Service all the way out there. Could've booked it at the usual place they have way more availability at only 45 minutes away.
  • Didn't have the parts, so need to rebook at the 45-minute-away location 2 weeks from now. Book unpaid time off, again.
  • Appointment cancelled/moved the day before. Eat the unpaid time off again.
  • Finally get trivial part of car fixed by Mobile Service in driveway (which was apparently available the whole time as an option, I just "picked the wrong day" like I was supposed to know their schedule).
All they offer for "loaners" here is free rides with the local taxi company (which uses Teslas).

EDIT: I should say the Mobile service peeps have generally been great once I actually get to them, it's just the whole orchestration of it that's a huge mess.

I brought my Tesla Model3 in to the local SC yesterday for that exact problem. I was in and out in almost exactly an hour. My suggestion: bring your phone and catch up on world news during the hour. Probably the same amount of time you'd spend with a daily newspaper anyway.