Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Still Needs a Lot of Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please keep in my mind that this is MY EXPERIENCE, and in no way am I assuming that your experience will be the same...

This is regarding my 2017 Model S. (7 months old)

Took in my vehicle to have a major component replaced for warranty.

Also mentioned 3 other warranty issues that needed to get fixed.

Took it in on Day X. They said the car would be ready on the same day or by day X+1.

Walked out with an older Model S loaner. (The front dash was loose and falling apart.)

Got a text message the same day from a system generated source stating that my vehicle was ready.

So I texted and emailed my service rep. No response.

Got a call from someone the next day stating the vehicle was ready for pickup anytime and that everything was completed. Received an email indicating the "comprehensive" service work that was done. Everything fixed, of course.

I went to pickup the vehicle on day X+1.

Observation:
1. 1 out of 4 things were fied.
2. 3 out of 4 things were not even touched, although they claimed all 4 were completed.
3. My seats were dirty, someone left a giant foot print and dirt marks.

Everyone was quite embarrassed and we were all baffled.

Another service rep was helping me this time, and promised to answer my emails (unlike other reps).

Switched cars to an ICE, didn't like the model S loaner w/ a the loose front dash.

Day X+5. No word yet. Shot them an email for an update.

Same here...exact scenario...several items not fixed after second attempt...I gave my honest opinion on the survey. They called and said they want to make it right. I haven't decided to waste my time yet. I'm still waiting on parking brake recall repair.

I hear a lot of these stories. It feels obligatory to point out my experience in a different region has always been fantastic. So much so that their Ranger tech helped me install dyna-mat in the doors when I told him I was considering doing it myself but was nervous about damaging the car. He has always picked up the car, provided quick text and phone updates, and left the car as clean as he picked it up.

Sorry to hear you are having issues. I would say to try and either point out their failures or escalate as I don't think it is a company policy (unless I just happen to have the only rebel that has great customer service).

I think the high concentration of Model S and X in the Bay Area makes the service experience poor.

We have our S60 in for 3 things now:
1. Alignment
2. Air suspension leak in rear
3. Front left light always on at night.

Taken 3 days so far. They are having difficulty reproducing the light issue. But it's only obvious at night.

Any way, they are obviously swamped and have to cut corners to survive. How will Model 3 affect this? We'll see...

This is the first time I have to bring the car back for them not fixing something right. This will be my 11th service visit for repairs in 2 years, my car seems to be a POS in terms of reliability.

I dropped it off last week, for this (and 3 other things): GPS acting up they said they fixed it, and the GPS did work well for a few days (it was an intermittent problem).

As of 2 days ago, the problem is back, and much worse (my GPS has been non-responsive for 2 days now, it thinks I'm parked about 30 miles away from home).

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they actually replaced said part on the first fix, and that wasn't the problem part.

This is the first time I have to bring the car back for them not fixing something right. This will be my 11th service visit for repairs in 2 years, my car seems to be a POS in terms of reliability.

I dropped it off last week, for this (and 3 other things): GPS acting up they said they fixed it, and the GPS did work well for a few days (it was an intermittent problem).

As of 2 days ago, the problem is back, and much worse (my GPS has been non-responsive for 2 days now, it thinks I'm parked about 30 miles away from home).

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they actually replaced said part on the first fix, and that wasn't the problem part.

FYI:
GPS problem - my car is alledgedly off the coast of West Africa :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Max*
I think the high concentration of Model S and X in the Bay Area makes the service experience poor.

We have our S60 in for 3 things now:
1. Alignment
2. Air suspension leak in rear
3. Front left light always on at night.

Taken 3 days so far. They are having difficulty reproducing the light issue. But it's only obvious at night.

Any way, they are obviously swamped and have to cut corners to survive. How will Model 3 affect this? We'll see...

Dublin, CA vs. San Francisco, CA Service Centers are like night and day. The Dublin SC is completely overbooked at any point in the week and never have any Tesla loaners, which I can't stand when paying this amount of money per month for a car. Plus a few of the workers there are a little suspect with how they drive customer cars. I took my car in for one thing only to have 3 other issues pop up in the next week. Kind of alarming if you ask me.

The San Francisco SC on the other hand is FANTASTIC. They had a P90D loaner for me, took care of everything promptly and accurately, and even washed and detailed my car. I was very impressed!

My service experience has been that it never gets fixed the first time...

And it usually takes 2 weeks longer than expected.

Just keep an eye out for other damages they may have done to your vehicle when you do your pickup..

My Experience Summary
. Difficult to get a service appointment
. Communication has been poor
. Never gets done on time
. Everything they claim has been fixed, hasn't.
. Expect your car to be in there for 1 to 2 weeks minimum
. Don't expect a nice Tesla as a loaner. If anything expect an older Tesla or an ICE.
. Don't expect to get a clean loaner vehicle - it's usually dirty and hasn't been cleaned well.
. Expect your car to have other issues when you get it back, so DO your due diligence.
. Every new service rep says, "things are different now"... but it's not.

This is based on multiple service appointments at several different locations.

This has been MY EXPERIENCE for the past 9 months.. and continues to ring true.

I've been to Van Nuys and most recently Burbank Service centers over the last year. Servicing a Model S and Model X.
My Experience Summary
. My last appt was within 2 days of emailing. Never longer than a week.
. Communication was frequent (via text) during the course of time my car was in their hands.
. Finished on time. In fact the drive unit on the S was replaced within 3 days of making the service request.
. Everything they claimed had been fixed, had, with one exception; the X needed to be configured by someone to have unlimited Supercharging. That seemed to be beyond the SC's ability in a day's time. Took an extra 2 days to show in my acct.
. Maximum time ever for my car at SC was 3 days.
. Got a 2013 P85 one time. Yeah, that's old but I took it. Kinda fun to compare. Offered ICE another time; So, I took Uber, drove the LEAF for 2 days.
. Loaner P85 was very clean. ICE loaner was a new Lexus.
. No issues. My '13 has been flawless since the DU replacement as well as other minor issues. X also fixed perfectly.
. When I was in the shop, I noticed a big screen hanging from the ceiling, mostly out of view of the public. It had various updates changing but a few things were constant:

Ranking: 2
Customer Satisfaction: 93% (in green)
Fixed right first time: 88% (in yellow)
Cars finished: 8
Goal for day: 55

I asked a passing employee what "Ranking" refers to and was told "that's our rank globally among Tesla Service centers".
Dunno if it's true but I've never seen such a screen in any other "dealer" service center.

It looks to me like Tesla is definitely trying.

• Informative
Reactions: SocalMS