Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service tech says Tow Package software controls trailer brakes w/o separate controller needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

A TMC member has informed me that a Tesla Service tech stated that a separate brake controller is not needed when towing a trailer with its own brakes because the Tow Package software can control the trailer brakes directly.

I think that is incorrect.

In 2017 I asked my local Tesla Service Center what the Tow Package software did in regards to the trailer brakes and was told it only uses the Model X brakes to try to reduce trailer sway if that is detected, it did not activate the trailer brakes.

I do not believe anything has changed since that time in regards to the Tow Package software capabilities.

Any Model X owners who tow who can control their trailer brakes from the car without installing a separate dedicated trailer brake controller?

Thanks.

Also it is required by law in the US to have a trailer brake controller with the ability to modulate and activate the brakes within arms reach of the driver. Police will likely have to pull you over to for something else but they can add that to a ticket.

I have been pulled for a safety check on the chains and they did ask about the controller.
I use a Prodigy wireless controller.

Also it is required by law in the US to have a trailer brake controller with the ability to modulate and activate the brakes within arms reach of the driver. Police will likely have to pull you over to for something else but they can add that to a ticket.

I have been pulled for a safety check on the chains and they did ask about the controller.
I use a Prodigy wireless controller.
I’ve read that the Tesla wiring harness differs from normal trailer hookups. Did you have any issues?

So many variables here. Will need to speak to a trailer guy to know for sure if your individual trailer will be triggered by the Tesla connection.

Some trailers have a surge brakes. The trailer brakes will be physically triggered when you slow down. The momentum of the trailer will push against the hitch and that will engage the surge brakes.

Most heavy trailers will need an additional proportional brake controller to be installed in the drivers cab.

So many variables here. Will need to speak to a trailer guy to know for sure if your individual trailer will be triggered by the Tesla connection.

Some trailers have a surge brakes. The trailer brakes will be physically triggered when you slow down. The momentum of the trailer will push against the hitch and that will engage the surge brakes.

Most heavy trailers will need an additional proportional brake controller to be installed in the drivers cab.

Aren't these types of brakes mostly on Boat trailers?

These are hydraulic brakes and rely on the braking of the car to push back and actuate the hydraulic cylinder. While these work without a controller, you’re putting extra wear on the X brakes. Plus the hydraulic brakes have to have a special connection between the trailer and the car to allow this actuation. I’m not sure on the X but I used to have them on a trailer pulled by a Cayenne and it does not feel right when that trailer pushes you forward on a highway braking scenario. Plus the brake job on the suv was several thousand more than the electric brake controller