Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned 2 Model S's and liked them very much. I still do like the S. But I and two colleagues who also own S's are recommending to all that ask NOT to buy a Tesla because the service is the worst of any car company. I will not buy again for this reason. In the past service was excellent but for the last 2-3 years it is despicable! It is impossible to speak to a live peron about any servoice related issue. The mobile app is a poor substitute for a service rep. Everything at Tesla is electronic, but often this is insufficient. Service could not be worse.

I suspect the experience is local. My closest Tesla centre is on the Gold Coast in Queensland. I just had the battery replaced after the cooling plumbing going into the pack got smashed from underneath by a large rock. The mobile mechanic and the service manager in Southport were excellent. I got regular phone calls to let me know what was happening with parts and my insurance company.

Tesla service went from good/okay to absolutely abysmal... Yes it does depend a lot on the service center but the entire "system" is just garbage. Tesla is far, far, far from the promises made by Elon not so long ago. I can think of at least 5 people that I know of who were going to buy then I talked them out of it due to not being close to a service center and knowing how bad it really is even if you are.

Tesla, unparalleled automobiles, absolutely horrible and unethical company. Buyer beware and understand what you're getting into before you buy.

Jeff

Tesla service went from good/okay to absolutely abysmal... Yes it does depend a lot on the service center but the entire "system" is just garbage. Tesla is far, far, far from the promises made by Elon not so long ago. I can think of at least 5 people that I know of who were going to buy then I talked them out of it due to not being close to a service center and knowing how bad it really is even if you are.

Tesla, unparalleled automobiles, absolutely horrible and unethical company. Buyer beware and understand what you're getting into before you buy.

Jeff
Why do you post here if you dislike the company so much? Honest question

I'm not the person you asked but forums aren't just for people to say positive things about something. I post my experiences to get the truth out there so others considering purchasing a Tesla know what they're getting into before they make that decision. If they still want one that's fine but people should go into a decision with eyes wide open to the truth versus thinking buying a Tesla will be nothing but rainbows and sunshine.

Because I'm a long time owner who's been through the ringer with this dishonest and corrupt company and feel the need to warn others what they're getting into. This forum is wayyyy too much of a positive Tesla echo chamber and for crazy reasons... I can't believe how many people have SERIOUS delivery issues and go on and on about how "awesome" it is. Admittedly, I used to be one of those people but the sugar coating is long gone now.

Jeff

I have owned 2 Model S's and liked them very much. I still do like the S. But I and two colleagues who also own S's are recommending to all that ask NOT to buy a Tesla because the service is the worst of any car company. I will not buy again for this reason. In the past service was excellent but for the last 2-3 years it is despicable! It is impossible to speak to a live peron about any servoice related issue. The mobile app is a poor substitute for a service rep. Everything at Tesla is electronic, but often this is insufficient. Service could not be worse.
My current issue with them is that they keep trying to push a diagnostic fee on my warrantied MY. That makes no sense to me at all. I hate to be aggressive considering their is not another Tesla dealers in my state. I definitely do not want to leave a bad impression but charging fees for diagnostics and recreating a problem is ridiculous.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I always gauge this by the service center lot I drive past often. Same story for years and hasn't changed. The lot is full of personal vehicles to the point of being double parked. They even expanded the lot at one point. Many have the dusty raindrop look as if they have been sitting for weeks. That stuff scares me away.

I met a new client with an X recently. Said: cool car... How do you like it? He goes on a rant about constant problems with the doors, noises, leaks, can't get service, doesn't have time for this... Yikes

I don’t really get it. Seems like the biggest source of pain for most people is not being able to get someone on the phone. But I kind of like that. I’ve almost always got an appointment within a week and it’s been quite efficient and easy. (Is my experience an anomaly?)

Im going to take a wild guess that the people who are angry at this service model are the ones who like to be the squeaky wheels...you know the ones who like to bully the poor sap on the other end of the phone until they feel like they’ve been heard.

I like knowing that I am being treated with equal respect and priority as everyone else, no matter how loud other people scream.

But I kind of like that.
Then clearly this thread isn't for you. Is it so hard to imagine that others have more complicated problems that can't be solved by an app? If you don't need to talk to someone... don't. But acting like everyone else's problems are equal to yours and campaigning openly against methods of contact as if YOU know what's right for everyone is a pretty arrogant stance to take on this topic.

Then clearly this thread isn't for you. Is it so hard to imagine that others have more complicated problems that can't be solved by an app? If you don't need to talk to someone... don't. But acting like everyone else's problems are equal to yours and campaigning openly against methods of contact as if YOU know what's right for everyone is a pretty arrogant stance to take on this topic.
So is this thread only for people who are pissed about the service? Satisfied customers need not reply? It’s fair to characterize my viewpoint as naive or uninformed, but I really don’t think it’s coming out of arrogance. My aim was just adding another viewpoint. But I realize I’m not being empathetic to those in this thread who have been inconvenienced - or worse.

I don’t really get it. Seems like the biggest source of pain for most people is not being able to get someone on the phone. But I kind of like that. I’ve almost always got an appointment within a week and it’s been quite efficient and easy. (Is my experience an anomaly?)

Im going to take a wild guess that the people who are angry at this service model are the ones who like to be the squeaky wheels...you know the ones who like to bully the poor sap on the other end of the phone until they feel like they’ve been heard.

I like knowing that I am being treated with equal respect and priority as everyone else, no matter how loud other people scream.
I always seem to face an almost two-faced type of person when talking to service techs on the app vs talking to service techs in-person. The Indianapolis service is great 5/5 in-person but through the app they sound almost condescending. I am also tired of the nonsense fees they try to push to warrantied cars.

I always seem to face an almost two-faced type of person when talking to service techs on the app vs talking to service techs in-person. The Indianapolis service is great 5/5 in-person but through the app they sound almost condescending. I am also tired of the nonsense fees they try to push to warrantied cars.
Yeah I didn’t think about the anonymous aspect of that. It’s a lot easier being a hardass over an anonymous app than it is in person. Fair point.

Though I’ve never once had my SC try to charge me for something while my car is in warranty. Maybe different SC managers have different policies about that.

Reactions: Kee_Chain
Yeah I didn’t think about the anonymous aspect of that. It’s a lot easier being a hardass over an anonymous app than it is in person. Fair point.

Though I’ve never once had my SC try to charge me for something while my car is in warranty. Maybe different SC managers have different policies about that.
Maybe, I am looking into it to much but yea, sometimes I feel like the Indianapolis service center presents their messages that way. If I may ask, have you ever been presented with a "Test Drive" fee. I noticed some shaking on the MY front driver side wheel and they said if they could not replicate that, I would get charged $49 for a warrantied car. This discouraged me from taking my car there. I understand some people could be bothering them but this is outrageous for a warrantied car.

• Informative
Sure there is a ton of negative service press and well deserved. But what other car company would bring a repair part to your house and fix something? My passenger daytime running light died. I requested a mobile service appt on Thurs of last week with pics. They scheduled me for the following Monday.

Not only did they bring my replacement headlight, they also did my FSD computer upgrade! Took about an hour. Tried to load pics but TMC says they were too large to process. A MS and a MX, no Tesla repair van this time. Sure Rivian and other companies say they will be doing this. Let's see how that works out when they have a few thousand cars on the road. And if you're way out in the middle of no where.

Not everything is wrong with Tesla service. Gotta give'm love when they do things right. Now if they would just get Plaid + production started...

Sure there is a ton of negative service press and well deserved. But what other car company would bring a repair part to your house and fix something? My passenger daytime running light died. I requested a mobile service appt on Thurs of last week with pics. They scheduled me for the following Monday.

Not only did they bring my replacement headlight, they also did my FSD computer upgrade! Took about an hour. Tried to load pics but TMC says they were too large to process. A MS and a MX, no Tesla repair van this time. Sure Rivian and other companies say they will be doing this. Let's see how that works out when they have a few thousand cars on the road. And if you're way out in the middle of no where.

Not everything is wrong with Tesla service. Gotta give'm love when they do things right. Now if they would just get Plaid + production started...
Personally, not every single one has been bad but it is the little things that ruin the experience. I would be lying if I said I have not had a bad experience at a Lexus or Audi dealership as well.