Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model Y for a little over a year and have developed a few issues. I scheduled an appointment at the service center and have a few questions.
  1. Is it normal for Tesla to send cost estimates for things that SHOULD be warrantied? I don't understand why they do this. For example, my car has a click when I accelerate/decelerate. It sounds like an axle nut needing to be replaced and re-torqued. This SHOULD be covered under warranty but they added a cost estimate. Should I click "approve estimate" and just hope it'll be covered?!
  2. Is it understood that if I drop off my car, I'll be getting a loaner? I literally CAN'T just leave my car there without another car.
Thanks for the advice.

1) This is normal. Tesla will provide an estimate of the cost of the repair. If Tesla determines that the repair is covered under the vehicle's warranty then your credit card will not be charged.

2) Tesla does not have a formal vehicle loaner program. In some cases Tesla may have a loaner vehicle that you can drive but not always. Tesla will provide Uber credits you can use. In other cases Tesla can provide a voucher for a rental vehicle.

Reactions: ryanjeffords
I've had my Model Y for a little over a year and have developed a few issues. I scheduled an appointment at the service center and have a few questions.
  1. Is it normal for Tesla to send cost estimates for things that SHOULD be warrantied? I don't understand why they do this. For example, my car has a click when I accelerate/decelerate. It sounds like an axle nut needing to be replaced and re-torqued. This SHOULD be covered under warranty but they added a cost estimate. Should I click "approve estimate" and just hope it'll be covered?!
  2. Is it understood that if I drop off my car, I'll be getting a loaner? I literally CAN'T just leave my car there without another car.
Thanks for the advice.
2) If you absolutely need a car and they don't promise you a loaner, I would arrange to pick up a rental (at your own cost) near the service center. Use the uber credit to get there.

Reactions: WyomingEV
Is it normal for Tesla to send cost estimates for things that SHOULD be warrantied? I don't understand why they do this. For example, my car has a click when I accelerate/decelerate. It sounds like an axle nut needing to be replaced and re-torqued. This SHOULD be covered under warranty but they added a cost estimate. Should I click "approve estimate" and just hope it'll be covered?!

This is what they do. Just reply that you will not approve any costs and do not sign it. They will proceed with the warranty repair and you are off the hook for not agreeing to pay them anything.

Furthermore, their agreement includes you warranting that if anything happens to your car during the service, Tesla would not be responsible. For example, if they would scratch your car, they would expect you to ask your insurance company to pay for it. This is the second reason why you should not sign it.

About the whole loaner thing..... This was initially a bit of a let down with Tesla (though it was something I was prepared for from reading these forums). Especially after 15 years of dealing with my local BMW dealer, one of the largest at least in this region if not nationally, and with a very nice and extensive loaner fleet.

In 15 years they basically never refused me loaner, and often had some pretty cool cars too, and the cars were usually pretty new.....

..that is until this last week when I tried to schedule an oil change for the first time in a year and was essentially told that they are no longer offering loaners for shorter services (less than a day) and would instead be happy to provide Uber credits. Also apparently their complementary car washes (which were discontinued due to Covid) will likely never be coming back. Is seems due to market conditions they have essentially had to liquidate their loaner fleet and no longer have enough cars to provide.

This was by far the most generous dealer I'd ever dealt with (many others in this area had already started scaling back on perks even pre-Covid). So it seems now they are at best on par with Tesla, and actually may be a few steps behind since at least with Tesla many things can be addressed by mobile service where I'd never have to leave the house to begin with.

So don't feel too bad about the whole no same-day loaner thing :). While I'm sure everyone probably would have preferred if things had gone the other way (where Tesla would slowly work its way up to restoring same day loaner service). It seems instead the rest of the luxury car market may gradually be backsliding to Toyota/Honda/Nissan levels of service probably both due to rising costs and the fact that they simply don't need to try too hard to sell cars anymore these days.

There are so many cars in service. It would be near impossible to get a loaner.

Hey OP. I just got my Y less than a month ago and last night the valet drove my car away and I hear clicks coming from the car. Today I drove with the window down to see if I could reproduce the issue. Turns out it’s easily repeatable. Was your service center able to fix your problem? Did some searching on the forum seems like they just need to lube the axle or nut. My car has 800 miles and it keeps clicking away…

There are so many cars in service. It would be near impossible to get a loaner.

Hey OP. I just got my Y less than a month ago and last night the valet drove my car away and I hear clicks coming from the car. Today I drove with the window down to see if I could reproduce the issue. Turns out it’s easily repeatable. Was your service center able to fix your problem? Did some searching on the forum seems like they just need to lube the axle or nut. My car has 800 miles and it keeps clicking away…
What kind of wheels do you have? If they are the Gemini wheels that’s where the clicking and crackling sounds are coming from (the plastic covers specifically).

Reactions: Pianewman
What kind of wheels do you have? If they are the Gemini wheels that’s where the clicking and crackling sounds are coming from (the plastic covers specifically).
I have the induction wheels.

After researching on this forum and online. Teslas have an issue with the axle hub and spline. The spline needs to be greased and the hub needs to be torqued to spec, which is about 180 lbs. going into service this Tuesday to get the problem fixed. Seems like it’s simple fix unless it ends up being a completely different issue.

Just had a service appointment and all in all it was seamless. Had a few minor issues to deal with (for the most part, they were) and dropped my car off when it first opened on Friday. Tesla gave me $400 worth of Uber credits because they the said there was an outside chance I would not get my car until Monday. My only issue with Tesla SC‘s is how many cars they are scheduling. What needed to be done to my car should have taken no more than a couple of hours. They had the car all day Friday and I got it back EOD on Saturday.

Came back from my service appointment today.

Heard clicking noises on my way home.

My only advice. Have your technician check all 4 wheels. Seems like they did not inspect all the wheels. I sent a message to the service center asking technician to confirm what axels were worked on. Will need to take the car back.