Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3: I made an appointment with the Peabody, Mass service center at the beginning of May for the end of May for the upper control arm issue. When I got to the appointment after sitting around for an hour I was told they did not have the parts. So they (Peabody service tech) set me up for a mobile appointment with the Dedham Service center for July 6. They just called me (July 5) to tell me they no longer do the control arms as a mobile appointment and I need to set up an appointment and go to the service center. This is after notification earlier in the day reminding me of the mobile appointment.

They are so screwed up! There is no excuse! Elon Musk knows it, but apparently the word has not reached the troops yet.

Service is sadly one of the worst parts about owning a Tesla, the centers are judged on metrics like turnaround time and i'm not surprised they tried to dump you onto another center. Also service itself isn't really a metric that is reported to investors and ultimately only matters if people stop buying the car, which they aren't - so Elon has not made fixing it a priority.

I know it may not help to hear my experiences with Tesla Service, but the couple of times that mobile service has come out to my house and the few times I visited a service center, I've only been mildly disappointed once. The closest I've come to calling Tesla Service sub-par is when I recently tried to buy a part over-the-counter (Gen4 charge port ECU). Pulled into the parking lot (on what turned out to be a busy morning) and they told me to order it via the app. Thinking I needed some personal interaction in case I needed to explain why I wanted that certain part, I drove to another service center and had a tech order it for me. No problems with the ordering process itself; only that they never told me when (if) the part ever came in.

I contacted service using the app to schedule a 12V battery replacement (on my dime) and asked, oh, by the way, if you have a 1537264-00-B ECU, please bring it along. They did. Mobile service also came out to install my FSD HW3 computer and do the upper control arm re-seal both without any problems. They did have to reschedule me on the UCA service. They asked if it was okay to come earlier than originally scheduled.

I've gone to the Service Center to buy parts before (fob, rear quarter windows, keycards) and have service done on the car (replace both rear tires, adjust the drivers side rear window) basically as walk-up visits.

In my book, Tesla service has been better to deal with, both in time and money, as compared to the BMW service I had done when I owned a 2000 323i. Both in and out of warranty service. My 2018 Model 3's basic 4-year warranty expired two days ago.

My 2020 model started squeaking like an old bed a few weeks ago. Pretty sure it's the control-arm issue. Tried to schedule service. Could not reach a human on the phone. They want everything done through the app. Fine. I used the app. First available appointment 15 days out. Finally the day came, took the car in. They told me it would be done later that day. That evening the app messaged me it would be in the next day. The next day the messages stopped. I had to drive to the service center and inquire. Was told it would be the following day. When I complained to the service rep that I couldn't reach anyone by phone he replied "Not true, you can easily Google our phone number!" Then he glanced down to his screen and noticed that my call had been "on hold" for 2 days. Yeah. On a positive note, this is the only time I've ever needed service. Still love the car, and hopefully, it will be another 2 years before the next encounter with Tesla service.

I'm sure others have worse experience. I have had the car for 5 years and did the annual maintenance and service was on time and great .... Until ....This past one/ I hit a mound of dried asphalt that was there due to a road crew refinishing a road. My right rear wheel canted in ( looks like a broken axle) and the car was all out of alignment ( hint .....don't try FSD when out of alignment). They had to order parts for the upper and lower control arms in the rear right and replace two bent wheels. I am now going on a MONTH waiting for parts ( ive forgotten what my car looks like ). suspension parts should be a no brainer to have on hand. I came in with 82% charge it is now below 20% hopefully they will charge it before it dies. this is really testing my patience . it seems they are spending much more effort on building new cars and not building parts, especially if you have an older design. but we have to go to them and only them.... I cant imagine they can stack any more cars at the service center. like mine for very long as cars get older and need things.