Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Settles Class Action on AP2.0 Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they do settle for $5M Tesla is getting a hell of a deal. They should be forced to refund at least half of the cost paid by customers.

They settled for interest costs without noting that cars have a limited lifespan.
First you must assign a useful lifespan. Say 11.5 years (IIHS).
Now the duration without the asset goes into that. This is a loss also PLUS interest.
So up to 8.7% (duration of lifespan) + ~5% (interest delay of settlement) = up to $685 dollar of true loss.
That should have been the minimum starting point for negotiations which is the actual loss not including loss of enjoyment of the feature.

I'm going with both greedy and stupid for the legal team representing the class. Just stupid for the judge if he accepts it.

Totally agree with@McRat on this one.

Being Canadian, my settlement amount is $0.

I didn’t buy FSD because I didn’t believe it would be available before I traded in my car. Didn’t think that would apply to EAP.

Other than that, the car is awesome. Tesla should just refund everyone and let us decide whether to repurchase when they have something to sell.

Reactions: Hoffa and croman

I'm going with both greedy and stupid for the legal team representing the class. Just stupid for the judge if he accepts it.

Nonsense, it is a settlement, not a finding of guilty.
If it were an easy case, the complaint would not be settled, it would go to trial.

Tesla settled because it was expedient.
The lawyers settled because winning wasn't a sure thing. Better a bird in the hand than two in the bush.

Nonsense, it is a settlement, not a finding of guilty.
If it were an easy case, the complaint would not be settled, it would go to trial.

Tesla settled because it was expedient.
The lawyers settled because winning wasn't a sure thing. Better a bird in the hand than two in the bush.

Tesla got a smoking deal. Kudos to their legal staff.

The plaintiff lawyers most likely settled because they didn't have to do much work, work for very long, and got a killer payday per hour. They settled the class for under 1/2 the true loss per standard accounting methods. This is sadly very common in class actions. Grab a quick buck is the goal, not represent your client's best interests or true losses.

Tesla agrees to partially reimburse people who bought Autopilot 2.0 in $5 million settlement of class action lawsuit

As always with class actions, the class attorneys win and the class just makes do. $280 per owner seems a bit paltry, but I don't want to go through the effort of suing Tesla myself. I just wish they'd tell us what is going on. No need to disclose trade secrets or anything but telling us they are working on X features and some thoughts on that development would go a long way towards building back customer goodwill.
It appears that is 5% interest on the $5000 feature based on time.
Interesting calculation based on 5% interest ... why does the payment phase out in September 2017 with features still missing?
Autopilot 2.0 still doesn’t have many of the features promised in the EAP package, like On-ramp to Off-ramp and Smart Summon.
screen-shot-2018-04-28-at-9-27-25-am.jpg

Interesting calculation based on 5% interest ... why does the payment phase out in September 2017 with features still missing?
Autopilot 2.0 still doesn’t have many of the features promised in the EAP package, like On-ramp to Off-ramp and Smart Summon.

They offered nothing for enjoyment of the purchase. I assume this is the major reason for the purchase to begin with. The more features that are missing, the less enjoyment.

Cut off is likely due to ap2.5 hardware. That seems troubling. Terms of the settlement will be very key. Waiver of any and all claims, known it unknown, would be too broad and unacceptable to me. I'd rather forgo the payment and hold Tesla accountable as long as my legal window is open.

Reactions: alcibiades
To be clear on this wasteful litigation:

1. The plaintifs did not win a class certification
2. The plaintiffs didn't survive a motion to dismiss.

The P attys only filed two complaints -- which Tesla never even answered. Instead they went right to mediation and ended up here. The merits were never actually explored and the lawyers on both sides did relatively little. Except Tesla paid the extortion fee of a $1 million to the Plaintiff counsel and a few hundred thousand will be collected as nickels as dimes to the AP2 buyers who would have a very tough time proving damages now with AP2 rocking.

And by the way, because one plaintiff dropped out, we have the current status documented in a court filing.

upload_2018-5-2_13-15-41.png

While this is an emotional issue to many Tesla owners, it looks like it was simply another business deal for the law firm.

They saw an opportunity to extort some easy money from Tesla and went for it. No real interest for the owners, but just to get maximum pay off for their legal action.

My viewpoint is different than many others. I am amazed at the improvements in the driver assistance system built into my 2017 Model X. It has enjoyed several updates, at no cost to me, making the self driving capabilities far better than when I took delivery (January 2017).

It makes long distance travel much more relaxing, gives me additional safety features, and really comes in handy for heavy traffic commuting.

Best use for many would be to use the bonus to go towards a share of stock. Could be worth a lot of money someday.

I realize that Tesla's Full Self Driving program took a huge step backwards when they split up with Mobile Eye. I understand that their partnership played a big part in Elon's predictions. When it dissolved Tesla need to go back to square one, and develop their own auto pilot in house. They choose to take the long view, and integrate the sensors into all their cars, so that when the software would catch up, it would be easier to integrate it into the vehicle of their current customers.

That decision has significant added value for current owners, who's Tesla's most certaintly maintain a higher used car value, due to their ability to continue to be upgraded as the software becomes available.

Cut off is likely due to ap2.5 hardware. That seems troubling. Terms of the settlement will be very key. Waiver of any and all claims, known it unknown, would be too broad and unacceptable to me. I'd rather forgo the payment and hold Tesla accountable as long as my legal window is open.
I'm truly surprised this settlement is being taken seriously.

Tesla is getting off cheap here.

There was a lot of misinformation put forth by Tesla in that timeframe - from the staged video to the “now you don’t have supercharging and now you do” games last Spring that affected 100 vs 90 buying decisions. This (E)AP misrepresentation is just one concern.

Don’t be surprised if more class actions materialize - and perhaps with better lawyering on the part of the plaintiffs - which would not be difficult it appears.

Evidently, I stand to get $200 back if I choose to take the money. Woo hoo. A tire. Not including mounting, balancing, environmental and disposal fees, or tax.

As with most class actions, I remain decidedly... underwhelmed.

Other than for the potential of precedent.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
My viewpoint is different than many others. I am amazed at the improvements in the driver assistance system built into my 2017 Model X. It has enjoyed several updates, at no cost to me, making the self driving capabilities far better than when I took delivery (January 2017).
You are a very forgiving owner who is happy that in April 2018 you are now enjoying some of the features that were advertised as being available in January 2017 and that you paid for in January 2017.

Reactions: MIT_S60

What information is contained in the "Class members who purchased prior to January 24, 2017" from the Feb-2017 column onward?