Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Settles Class Action on AP2.0 Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are a very forgiving owner who is happy that in April 2018 you are now enjoying some of the features that were advertised as being available in January 2017 and that you paid for in January 2017.

Well said.

You’ll have to forgive the fanbois. It usually takes a bit longer for reality to penetrate the rose-colored glasses and the unfortunate disconnect from the facts at hand.

Such as the fact that owners paid up front for the expectation of software updates.

Such as when senior management states that there will be parity of AP2 with AP1 by the end of 2016, and then by mid-2017, and it still isn’t delivered by now mid-2018, that people led to believe those statements might hold said senior management accountable.

Darn those pesky class action suits, anyway.

I don’t mind fanbois. I find them more amusing than annoying, unfortunately all too easily debunked, and in need of a reality check more than anything else.

Putting this in Monty Python terms, because it just fits:

They’re not the Knights who say Ni - they’re the Anti-Shorts of Alternate Reality.

Coconuts for everybody! And hopefully few class actions going forward - would be nice to go a year or two without one.

Reactions: NerdUno
To be clear on this wasteful litigation:

1. The plaintifs did not win a class certification
2. The plaintiffs didn't survive a motion to dismiss.

The P attys only filed two complaints -- which Tesla never even answered. Instead they went right to mediation and ended up here. The merits were never actually explored and the lawyers on both sides did relatively little. Except Tesla paid the extortion fee of a $1 million to the Plaintiff counsel and a few hundred thousand will be collected as nickels as dimes to the AP2 buyers who would have a very tough time proving damages now with AP2 rocking.

And by the way, because one plaintiff dropped out, we have the current status documented in a court filing.

View attachment 298323

At least you're a consistent cheerleader. Tesla didn't shell out $5 million because of their generous spirit. Once some real lawyers file a complaint and get discovery with depositions, then we can discuss whether AP2 is "rocking" or not. One thing is for sure. It's not anywhere close to the promised EAP. "E" stands for Enhanced in case you've forgotten.

Seems this continues to escalate

Tesla could have to offer computer retrofits to all Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5 cars by the end of next year

Couple of quotes from the article: (my highlights)

"Musk said during Tesla’s Q1 conference call last week that even this computer, which is the one being installed in vehicles currently in production, might also need to be replaced to achieve fully self-driving capability"

"Tesla promised fully self-driving to all cars since October 2016 and based on Musk’s recent comments, it looks like all those cars might need a computer upgrade, which he already said the company will provide for free"

We are already talking about over 120,000 vehicles with Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5 hardware suite on the road today and at the current production rate, Tesla can be adding as many as 50,000 new cars per quarter at this point.

As much as I love him, I think Elon must be regretting stating and charging for FSD so soon.

Seems this continues to escalate

Tesla could have to offer computer retrofits to all Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5 cars by the end of next year

Couple of quotes from the article: (my highlights)

"Musk said during Tesla’s Q1 conference call last week that even this computer, which is the one being installed in vehicles currently in production, might also need to be replaced to achieve fully self-driving capability"

"Tesla promised fully self-driving to all cars since October 2016 and based on Musk’s recent comments, it looks like all those cars might need a computer upgrade, which he already said the company will provide for free"

We are already talking about over 120,000 vehicles with Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5 hardware suite on the road today and at the current production rate, Tesla can be adding as many as 50,000 new cars per quarter at this point.

As much as I love him, I think Elon must be regretting stating and charging for FSD so soon.

Yes, but*...

* The but being that while true, the press/reporting is not complete. That’s “all vehicles since late 2016 *for which the FSD option was purchased*.”

Which is to say that FSD, while available for those since late 2016, would have to be triggered first by a new payment *for those who did not buy it at the time*.

Not trying to pick nits, but rather to highlight that Tesla’s exposure, while significant, is limited to some percentage less than 100% or all cars sold since late 2016.

A board swap shouldn’t be super costly. Since the service model is supposedly changing to mobile technicians as a primary option, then maybe SCs won’t be quite so badly impacted by this either.

Looks like its one for the lawyers to sort out, however my take is that it (Tesla website) stated that it was available after delivery, over the air (and just for a few extra bickies).

But they can raise the after delivery price at any time. So if they find that a hardware upgrade is necessary they will likely raise the after-purchase FSD activation price. (Assuming that the extra $1k doesn't already cover the expense.)

But they can raise the after delivery price at any time. So if they find that a hardware upgrade is necessary they will likely raise the after-purchase FSD activation price. (Assuming that the extra $1k doesn't already cover the expense.)
This would upset a lot of customers (myself included) after buying the car being told it would cost $4k to unlock FSD once it's ready. That was the point of the extra $1000 over not paying for it before delivery.

This would upset a lot of customers (myself included) after buying the car being told it would cost $4k to unlock FSD once it's ready. That was the point of the extra $1000 over not paying for it before delivery.

Then maybe you should think about buying it now. They have a history of changing the prices on OTA unlocks. They increased the cost of AP already, and they lowered the price of the 60-75kWh battery upgrade.. (People complained "but you said that it cost $x and now you want to charge $y." And Tesla basically said yep, the price has gone up.

I fully expect the $3k FSD price will go up once FSD is actually available as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
We go and spend a bunch of money on a set of options, then comes the very smart law suit we have to opt out to have the right to demand the delivery of what was promised, and all we get is 20 bucks as a refund????
I would not surprise me to find that Tesla itself is behind all of this just to get away cheap and not deliver what it said it would.
It is so common out there that when we all buy something and it does not work... we take it back for a full refund so how about that Tesla?

We go and spend a bunch of money on a set of options, then comes the very smart law suit we have to opt out to have the right to demand the delivery of what was promised, and all we get is 20 bucks as a refund????
I would not surprise me to find that Tesla itself is behind all of this just to get away cheap and not deliver what it said it would.
It is so common out there that when we all buy something and it does not work... we take it back for a full refund so how about that Tesla?
Some of us early adopters get up to $280 back. I'd rather opt out now and potentially have the option of getting a larger refund at a later date...or the features I ordered!

Some of us early adopters get up to $280 back. I'd rather opt out now and potentially have the option of getting a larger refund at a later date...or the features I ordered!

This settlement is only for the delay of the AP features when they were promised earlier. The earlier you bought your car and did not have the features the more you received. This has nothing to do with the FSD part of the lawsuit which continues since no one received any of those promised functions.