Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Settles Suit Over Model S Battery Voltage Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has agreed to pay $1.5 million to settle a lawsuit claiming a software update reduced maximum battery voltage in 1,743 Model S sedans.

The settlement will amount to pay out $625 to each owner affected. 

Tesla has also attempted to fix the issue for owners. A Reuters report said the voltage limitation was temporary, with a 10% reduction lasting about 3 months, and a smaller 7% reduction lasting another 7 months before the corrective update was released in March 2020.

The report quoted settlement documents where Tesla data shows 1,552 vehicles had maximum battery voltage fully restored and 57 have had battery replacements and for other vehicles, the maximum voltage should continue to be restored over time, the settlement documents said.

The suite was originally filed in 2019. Of the $1.5 million settlement, $410,000 will be used to pay attorney fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, you are demonstrating you do not understand what this lawsuit was about. Please read up so you can speak about it intelligently, or move along.
Law suit was about temporary reduction of available range which in most cases Tesla restored via OTA update. By the way my 16 S has only 6% battery degradation which I consider is fantastic.

My range dropped from 241 to 230 during winter 2019 (oddly settling in March 2020). Then slowly dropped to 221. Now it has gone up to about 225. Is that all the range it is going to recoup? Article makes it sound like the issue has already been corrected in the affected vehicles.

I do plan to have my car for the long haul and I would be happy with just getting the range back over the next few updates if that is the plan.

I'm going to say the things people aren't willing say. Tesla burned their early adopters because they don't need them anymore. Tesla was always the scummy company from the beginning. They just needed the early adopters to prevent them from going out of business. Hence why they bend over backward for those owners in the early days. Now that they are solvent, they have no loyalty to those who helped them before. They got musketeers and Tesla fan boi pumping their stock and spreading the gospel to drown out those who got the short end of the stick. I have come to this realization about Tesla and no longer endorse their product or brand. People just need to wake up and see Tesla for what it really is. Just another company out to make a bucks off the ignorant and unaware. If they can't extract anymore dollars from you, there is no reason for them to appease or help you.

I'm going to say the things people aren't willing say. Tesla burned their early adopters because they don't need them anymore. Tesla was always the scummy company from the beginning. They just needed the early adopters to prevent them from going out of business. Hence why they bend over backward for those owners in the early days. Now that they are solvent, they have no loyalty to those who helped them before. They got musketeers and Tesla fan boi pumping their stock and spreading the gospel to drown out those who got the short end of the stick. I have come to this realization about Tesla and no longer endorse their product or brand. People just need to wake up and see Tesla for what it really is. Just another company out to make a bucks off the ignorant and unaware. If they can't extract anymore dollars from you, there is no reason for them to appease or help you.
Big words claims without real evidence.

Last edited:
Law suit was about temporary reduction of available range which in most cases Tesla restored via OTA update. By the way my 16 S has only 6% battery degradation which I consider is fantastic.
Wrong. Again.
Big words claims without real evidence.
The evidence is the admission of guilt from the CEO.

I can see you’re new here and the Tesla shine has not worn off yet.

This. EXACTLY.

I love the fanbois who think Elon is out to save the world. Nope. This is a publicly traded company. Any environmental agenda takes a back seat to profits. As evidenced by Tesla’s investment in Bitcoin.

I expect that Tesla will somehow weasel out of paying a bunch of us (only for current owners or some such) just like they did for 3rd party emmc repairs that they clearly said they would cover.
I got my $600 check in the mail a couple months ago for the eMMC repair done by a 3rd party. Maybe you just didn't fill out the request form or provide proper documentation, sucks to suck 🤷‍♂️ 😂😂

Anyway this lawsuit had nothing to do with chargegate which is a whole other issue. I mean $625 aint *sugar*, but I'll take free money since my car was hit with that *sugar*. I currently can only go to 4.187v on each cell and I just got the update to 2012.12.25.7 last week. So if the cap is removed then its just part of my 12% degradation then.

I got my $600 check in the mail a couple months ago for the eMMC repair done by a 3rd party. Maybe you just didn't fill out the request form or provide proper documentation, sucks to suck 🤷‍♂️ 😂😂

Anyway this lawsuit had nothing to do with chargegate which is a whole other issue. I mean $625 aint *sugar*, but I'll take free money since my car was hit with that *sugar*. I currently can only go to 4.187v on each cell and I just got the update to 2012.12.25.7 last week. So if the cap is removed then its just part of my 12% degradation then.
Before a trip to the Philly area Saturday morning, I charged to 100% and let the last agonizingly slow part finish completely, where the current slowly ramped down from 40A to 5A before completion.
46BD37DF-3188-4CB0-A754-150AE39BA933.jpeg
That 74.1 kWh for the pack capacity is the highest I have seen in some time, I usually get between 73.3 and 74.0.
I’m not getting to 4.2V, but my pack balance isn’t so great right now, probably from lack of regular usage?

44B38D72-B27C-4A28-A1F2-8E1475AFA388.jpeg
Overall efficiency was 274 Wh/mile as I tried to keep it under 75 MPH on the highway. And yes, before the trip I had driven less than 1500 miles this year.

Not sure if my car is one of the 1700-odd cars or not. I don’t think it is.

BULL *sugar*!! I still have reduced range and was effected by the 2019 software range that the service center tried telling me was normal degradation of the battery, than why over night I went from 235 miles fully changed to 219 miles fully charged and its not come back. I now have it set to percentage and the highest it changes to is 97%