Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Shareholder Meeting: Musk Remains Chairman, Promises a $35K Model 3 By End of Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla shareholders voted Tuesday to keep Elon Musk in the position of chairman following a proposal to boot him from the board of directors.

“I’ve had the most excruciating, hellish months I’ve ever had. And a lot of other people at Tesla,” Musk told shareholders attending their annual meeting in Mountain View, Calif.

Proxy votes already taken before the meeting showed a “super majority” against the proposal.

Among other items discussed:

Production – All lines are currently operating at a pace for achieving 3,500 cars per week and will hit 5,000 cars per week by the end of the month. Musk said quality and reliability of the Model 3 has improved dramatically since early production. “In the beginning it was a bit bumpy,” he said.

Standard Battery Model 3 – Musk said that a $35,000 Model 3 will go into volume production in Q1 of next year.

Gigafactory Expansion – The company told shareholders that it will announce next month details of a Gigafactory in Shanghai, the first outside of the U.S. Musk also said he expects to make an announcement around a factory in Europe by the end of the year. Going forward, all Gigafactories will be combined for battery, vehicle, and powertrain production.

Tesla Body Shops – Musk said Tesla-operated body shops are currently in the works for 10 U.S. cities that could possibly provide same-day repairs. “There will be a dramatic improvement over cost and time of repair,” Musk said.

Model Y – Musk again said that the company’s all-electric crossover will be debuted in March and will hit roads in the first half of 2020. When a member of P.E.T.A. asked about removing leather from future Tesla steering wheels, Musk quipped that the Model Y definitely won’t have leather “if it does have a steering wheel.”

Musk’s presentation also included a rendering of the Model Y’s profile.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-05-at-7.02.05-PM.png

Semi 
– Musk said tweaks are still being made to the Tesla Semi. In particular, he said there may be some updates to the cab design shown at the debut that is more compliment with requirements worldwide.

A Smaller Vehicle – Musk said he expects the company will produce a compact car in the next five years. But, because of a scary experience where he nearly collided with a truck, Tesla will not produce motorcycles.

Test Drives – Consumers will be able to take a spin in the Model 3 at some Tesla showroom locations by the end of the month. All stores in North America will have cars by the end of next month.

Elon Time – Questioned about frequently missing his projections, Musk admitted to having “an issue with time.”

“This is something I’m trying to get better at,” he said. “I’m a naturally optimistic person. I would not have done cars or rockets if I were not.”

Watch the full presentation here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really pleased. Musk was patient and gracious with all questions, even those from a younger girl who said she owned just one share.

Overall, the information was good - but as always I long for more depth. But I do understand Musk's reluctance to provide much, given how Tesla is crucified for any missteps.

I'd much rather Elon tell his shareholders kinda the same thing he tells investors in SpaceX - that they should count on not seeing a return for a fairly long time period, and that investors should be prepared to play the long game.

I was really looking forward to hearing questions on how the Tesla will advance voice control. Such as "Heat, up 5 degrees", "Defrost On", "Drivers seat heat On", Ect-
Then there is how the AEB really works as compared to the industry standard of making complete emergency stopping, How cross traffic warning automatically warns the driver of objects entering the rear clearance cross walk area, when backing up.
I am not asking for KIT or even HAL, just thinking, It Is the worlds best damned car - Right?

Reactions: Kacey Green
I understand that some investors also wanted to remove Kimbal and other board members. Did that go through? What are these investors thinking? Do they want to destroy Tesla? If they don't like the way things are at Tesla why don't they go and invest in BYD like Warren Buffet did. That way they can have their short term profit since that is all they seemed concerned about. Glad to see that Elon is still Chairman and that common sense prevailed for that vote.

Elon,
Hang in there. We know if has been very difficult for you over the last several months. And it may get even more difficult in the months ahead. But please know that a lot of us around the world are praying for you to be successful in all your efforts in trying to make the world a better place.

Reactions: Kacey Green