Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Shareholders Ask for Better Public Relations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla held its annual shareholder gathering Tuesday where Chief Executive Elon Musk continued to pump upcoming advancements in vehicle design, autonomy, and manufacturing, while several attendees seemed to make a plea for the company to take stronger control of its narrative in the media.

Several attending shareholders either requested Tesla’s plan or offered their own in regards to media coverage that presents the company in a negative light. Some reports have suggested that Tesla has a demand problem and is teetering on bankruptcy.

“Very distressing and makes me sad,” Musk said about the negative coverage. “I don’t know what to do about it.”

But, Musk acted as if public relations is not currently a priority. There are no plans for advertising campaigns, as has been the case since the company’s founding.

“We’re currently selling more cars than we can make so spending money on advertising would make things worse financially,” Musk said.

Instead, he stressed Tesla’s focus on building battery cells to fill car orders, and building software to make those cars full-self-driving.

“There is not a demand problem. Absolutely not,” Musk said.

Sales have far exceeded production and production has been good, he said. In fact, Tesla may “have a shot at a record quarter.”

Musk shared that Tesla has the best revenue of any car on sale in the U.S.

“An electric vehicle is the highest revenue car in America, 10 years ago nobody would have believed it,” he said.

Investors also showed interest in Tesla’s upcoming pickup. Musk said it will likely be unveiled later this summer. He said the company aims to build “something more functional than an [Ford] F150, but a better sports car than a basic [Porsche] 911.”

In official business, Tesla shareholders rejected a proposal to shorten board members’ terms from three years to two years, while another proposal to change a supermajority voting requirement to a simple majority also failed.

Watch the full shareholders meeting here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right Mr. TJ. I never thought of it that way. Bloomberg IMO is the most balanced news available and routinely covers TSLA in a negative light. They too are part of the racket. I used to love Porsche's Mercedes' BMW's etc. Now I look at them from my S and say...why?

Gud'day gdoc67,

To be fair to Bloomberg Technology reports, it was their story of Sandy Munro and Assoc's tear down of the Model-3 that persuaded me to buy a Tesla.

Built like a tank and has a battery that will last a very long time was what I got from that report and it sold me on a Tesla.

Honest unbiased journalism is hard to find but there are good journalists are out there.

eg: CBCs' Marketplace investigative reporting is one example up in Canada, PBS's Frontline is another example in the USA, in the UK BBC is mandated to do balanced reporting and on the whole they mostly succeed, ABC Australia's Panorama is good example from down under.

Not all media are paid for agents of the anti electric lobby group. Some actually do honest unbiased journalism and report the facts and not the hype.

Food for thought, Cheers, Hugh-SG

One can imagine the cost of a "media campaign" to fight just ONE example of FUD against Tesla.
e-tron fastest charging vs Tesla Model X and Jag i-Pace
https://www.audiusa.com/its/?img=/content/dam/audiusa/Models/e-tron-2019/ModelPage/range-desktop (2).jpg&crop=0,0,2880,990&bp=1919&fit=2880&ar=freeform

Charging | Audi USA

Now what might be a more accurate view of the performance of charging?:

Sorry, Audi, But Tesla Model 3 Crushes Audi e-tron In Fast Charging Times (Charts) | CleanTechnica

A lot of variables - which model car, date designed/manufactured, which charger, temperatures (battery temp also) and things change fast.
Buyer beware. IF these times were really important to the buyer you must decide which cars to compare and well, compare them.
What effect can an ad campaign have?

The more you consider, seems to me, the more your realize the wisdom of spending money on continuous improvement vs ads.
Build a compelling product and the product will sell itself. Well, IF people actually get to see this product and compare it.
And that is where you actual owners are so important.

Thank you all for showing your Tesla to others. PRICELESS

Most people don't drill into proper comparisons because they don't have the time or inclination. They just read the BS ads, biased reviews, talk *sugar* with their friends who have mostly done the same and then buy an Audi, Merc, Jag, BMW like they always have. Tesla are unreliable, over-priced junk as far as a good chunk of the population is concerned and that's where decent advertising/PR could make a difference.

Sure you can say that demand currently outstrips supply, but I thought the Tesla mission was to convert the whole world into EV drivers as fast as possible? The product is great, word of mouth is great too, but the masses are still very confused about Tesla and are getting brainwashed by other manufacturers manipulation of the media. I think it's time Tesla put out some of their own propaganda and it should be easy as there is a lot of positive factual stuff to shout about.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brando
Tesla needs to advertise, but it doesn't need to sell from those ads. It needs to change the narrative. Many people only hear of Tesla first because of negative press. They're too preoccupied with their boring daily lives to care any further than that. Tesla putting out some kind of ads, not even to sell a car but to set a message, would go a long way to reducing the LASTING impact of negative press that sticks in their minds.
I’m always amazed that the majority of people in my circle in mid-michigan have never even heard of Tesla. Of course our local workforce is mostly GM employees. When they notice or comment on my car they assume it’s made by some foreign company.

I’m always amazed that the majority of people in my circle in mid-michigan have never even heard of Tesla. Of course our local workforce is mostly GM employees. When they notice or comment on my car they assume it’s made by some foreign company.
hmm, seems the FUD isn't working very well either. more money on ads should help, right? ;)

PS - I vote for better communication with actual customers. Also, continuous improvement of
repairs/Service Centers would be a very fine thing. Keep the referral program going. (So many ways and many things Tesla could offer as referral rewards - this is where the "ad dollars" should go. Benefit the customer base NOT Madison Ave.

Last edited:
Change the narrative? Care to give us an example? hope springs eternal, dream on

Only you owners have the authority to change the narrative. Those buying into the negative narrative aren't going to be changed by a Tesla Ad. Anyone with the internet can search and learn IF they want to. Those who buy that Elon is a con-man or Model 3 has no demand....

I just have no idea how you think an ad can "change the narrative". Give your examples.
Mean while I vote for production increases, more batteries and no wasted money on ads.

PS - Ever use YouTube to research about most anything?
Do YouTube search on your favorite Tesla. I think many are better than any Madison Ave. Ad. IMHO
Any car maker who want to sell more cars have to put some ads on TV (or and) and the web...Even Ferrari do.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jim R and Brando
So far Tesla and nobody posting here seems to get it. I understand that demand already exceeds supply. However, the media is biased as hell against Tesla. What nobody seems to grasp is the media is typically friendly to it's advertisers. If you don't spend advertising dollars, don't expect positive articles. I'm sorry that is just the way the world works, not just the car industry, although other auto companies are huge ad spenders so in this case it is even more apparent.

The bad media is affecting Tesla's stock and investment along with potential buyers now and in the future. It's time to take back some control of the narrative, which requires advertising. Don't expect the negativity to change until this occurs.

>What nobody seems to grasp is the media is typically friendly to it's advertisers. If you don't spend advertising dollars, don't expect positive articles. I'm sorry that is just the way the world works

This may be true for some community-level media outlets. It's not true whatsoever for media outlets like my own Los Angeles Times, or for the New York Times or the Washington Post or many others.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
So far Tesla and nobody posting here seems to get it. I understand that demand already exceeds supply. However, the media is biased as hell against Tesla. What nobody seems to grasp is the media is typically friendly to it's advertisers. If you don't spend advertising dollars, don't expect positive articles. I'm sorry that is just the way the world works, not just the car industry, although other auto companies are huge ad spenders so in this case it is even more apparent.

The bad media is affecting Tesla's stock and investment along with potential buyers now and in the future. It's time to take back some control of the narrative, which requires advertising. Don't expect the negativity to change until this occurs.

Seems to me only you "stock investors" are concerned about ads.
Look what Elon has done. And you still don't trust him? And you somehow trust the Media and Madison Avenue and Wall Street types to help your investments? I doubt you ever bought a car from an ad. I keep asking for examples of ads. No one offers any. Should be simple if ads were useful at all.

Norway ICE sales dropping - take a look how well ads are working for Subaru, Mazda, Ford and even Mercedes (why doesn't Mercedes justs send some EQC to Norway to save the dealer?)
Might be batteries, you think?
Norway Updates: Subaru, Mazda, & Ford Sales Plummet, Hydrogen Car Sales Frozen, Tesla Sales Jump | CleanTechnica

The tide will turn on public perception.
I have already noticed the tide turning a bit, as some news outlets begin to get "the scoop" that Tesla is actually doing pretty well.
The news tries to serve the latest public opinion, not set it. So it's a lagging indicator.
While California typically is a leading indicator on many things in the US.
Here's what's happening in California:
Q2rq5q+

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
This may be true for some publications, but is utterly false for most. Certainly not at my own Los Angeles Times. Same goes for New York Times, Washington Post, and many others. Advertisers have NO effect on editorial operations.
I am not sure if Russ (@hrmhrm) is still reading TMC or not, because given the amount of time he spends hobnobbing and smooching with the 'bring down Tesla and fraud Musk at any cost brigade' & TSLAQ scums like Fossi, TeslaCharts, Greenspan, Kolodny (sic and worst of the worst), it is understandable if he gets any time to read to TMC at all.

But lets analyze this statement with an ounce of common sense. We know that a very high percent of media revenue (aka Ads) is from auto industry, I believe something like close to 70%. Out of that 70%, zero $s come from Tesla.

Hypothetically lets say there is a real bad news out there on GM, about some nasty recall, employee strike, work stoppage, plant closures or such, all because of serious mismanagement. LAT decides to write a hard hitting report on GM , whereas NYT, WSJ, USA Today all decide to gloss it over with a 3 line mention on page 18. Now when the marketing and advertising budget discussions happen the next year in GM board, what do you think the GM honcho who has around $100M at his disposal for media ads is going to do. He is going to spend the money on the friendly media outlets and teach LAT a lesson. Or they will send feelers to LAT management: 'tone it down or you are losing us as a customer'.

This is just marketing 101. And then what happens when there is a noticeable dip in Ad revenue for LAT? Editors get wise. They don't need instructions. They learn not the bite the hand that feeds.

Now given that Tesla is really shaking the auto industry single handedly showing that stricter emissions controls can indeed be achieved, that in turn forces the regulators to tighten the rules even more, causing more financial pain for legacy ICE polluters. Tesla has caused billions of loss to the ICE industry. So these legacy companies would pay anything for a click bait negative article on Tesla if that means hurting Tesla sales. And outlets like LAT and Russ will be only eager to please their pay masters.

After all lets not kid ourselves. All of the media including LAT have no altruistic motivation to disseminate honest and truthful news to the public. They run a business, they need to make money. If that means writing crap that hurts Tesla, so be it. This is basic common sense.

Reactions: FalconFour