Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Tesla shares sink as car deliveries drop'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of us put our money behind our beliefs, but none of us would be foolish enough to give it to your Son :)
Why not? I will fully insure it, so no worries there. Turn $45K into $250K in 2 years, no risk (other than if Elon is wrong). If my son crashes the car, insurance will cover it.

Many Tesla owners already are using their cars to earn extra money as Uber/Lyft Drivers.
How many is "many"? Any source on this? Is this a new thing with Model 3's? I'm curious, really, why someone would buy a $50K car to drive for Uber.

"many" is thousands.

There is no way you can insure a car, driven by some kid, and owned by someone else...pipe dream.

They do not buy the car to drive for Uber. They buy the car because it is the best car for them, then livery them to bring in extra money to offset the cost. Not needing to buy expensive gasoline, tune ups and mufflers will also help offset their costs.

Uber rates Tesla as premium vehicles, and charges a premium for their hire. Know this is the case for S and X, but no experience with 3.

Don't be a sour grape. These cars are fantastic, and constantly getting better.

Why not? I will fully insure it, so no worries there. Turn $45K into $250K in 2 years, no risk (other than if Elon is wrong). If my son crashes the car, insurance will cover it.

Umm
  1. Why give it to him when we could drive it ?
  2. Why buy it now when we can wait a year and have a newer version?
  3. Why spend money on cars when we can buy more TSLA?

Reactions: GSP
What does the future hold for the Model S in my timeline ? Speaking as a year long owner of a 2018 P100D, a vehicle which cost a *sugar*-ton and a vehicle which I absolutely love ....

If and when a "reputable" car manufacturer comes out with a suitable EV, its bye bye Tesla for me. I would sacrifice some range and some 0-60 performance to have an EV produced by a manufacturer who: 1) had a service department that I could phone up and have someone answer, 2) had a reliable parts inventory, 3) was somewhat transparent about whats on the horizon (MCU1->MCU2), 4) didn't need an ever changing spread sheet to figure out the state of my software/hardware 5) actually gave a crap about their customers satisfaction, 6) Had people working for them that actually know the hardware/software and 7) had a reputation for reliability and stood behind it.
Honestly, I have not had any major issues with my Tesla, but I consider this just luck at this point. Based on what I read in the forums and stories from people I know, I really don't consider Tesla a reliable company. There is an enormous difference between what I thought the company was one year ago vs. my current perception. I know others feel differently.... I wish I did.

What does the future hold for the Model S in my timeline ? Speaking as a year long owner of a 2018 P100D, a vehicle which cost a *sugar*-ton and a vehicle which I absolutely love ....

If and when a "reputable" car manufacturer comes out with a suitable EV, its bye bye Tesla for me. I would sacrifice some range and some 0-60 performance to have an EV produced by a manufacturer who: 1) had a service department that I could phone up and have someone answer, 2) had a reliable parts inventory, 3) was somewhat transparent about whats on the horizon (MCU1->MCU2), 4) didn't need an ever changing spread sheet to figure out the state of my software/hardware 5) actually gave a crap about their customers satisfaction, 6) Had people working for them that actually know the hardware/software and 7) had a reputation for reliability and stood behind it.
Honestly, I have not had any major issues with my Tesla, but I consider this just luck at this point. Based on what I read in the forums and stories from people I know, I really don't consider Tesla a reliable company. There is an enormous difference between what I thought the company was one year ago vs. my current perception. I know others feel differently.... I wish I did.
We are on our 2nd Tesla ( a 2015 S and a 2018 3 ) and have literally never had a problem, never had any service done only added wiper fluid and plugged it in. People with issues make exponentially more noise than those who don’t. My wife had a Jetta and I had a Chevy Malibu before the Tesla’s and both were nightmares. The cars are not perfect just another data point when judging the reliability of the company.

We are on our 2nd Tesla ( a 2015 S and a 2018 3 ) and have literally never had a problem, never had any service done only added wiper fluid and plugged it in. People with issues make exponentially more noise than those who don’t. My wife had a Jetta and I had a Chevy Malibu before the Tesla’s and both were nightmares. The cars are not perfect just another data point when judging the reliability of the company.

In all sincerity, I wish you continued good luck.

*sigh* Two pages and nobody mentions the obvious: they slowed production almost to a stop for the refresh, which ended up being delayed. That both is the official statement on what happened and matches up perfectly with what happened(otherwise, kinda weird to completely eliminate both the 75D and Standard Range, leaving only the most expensive version, no?). They also only produced 14k combined.

The market for new buyers is nearly saturated. Tesla is still a luxury product.

I’m addition to that they are not seeing the turnover/upgrade factor from current owners.

They need to figure something out quick.

Not really, they have a 2-3month backlog on the model 3 already, with Europe and China just getting started. Just started taking orders for Right hand drive models, and very limited competition at this point.
I ordered the car, ( March 2nd) and bought the stock after the investor day dip.

*sigh* Two pages and nobody mentions the obvious: they slowed production almost to a stop for the refresh, which ended up being delayed. That both is the official statement on what happened and matches up perfectly with what happened(otherwise, kinda weird to completely eliminate both the 75D and Standard Range, leaving only the most expensive version, no?). They also only produced 14k combined.
**Sigh**
Reportedly, the imminent motor/ suspension refresh change leaked also, hurting demand temporarily (and impacting production rates).

Reactions: GSP

You’re missing the point. It’s not at all about things going wrong, because they inevitably will. It’s about how Tesla handles it when they do go wrong. That’s the actually terrible and completely dissatisfying part. To the point that I will also leave the brand once legit competition shows up, if issues aren’t fixed.

I’ve been waiting for some autopilot parts for 3 months now. Absolutely insane and inexcusable. At least I can drive my car. What about the people that can’t drive their cars, but are also waiting this long or longer? So yeah, I hope you keep having your good streak, no one deserves this bullshit from Tesla.

Why do you feel you have to take the negative experience of others to kill what should be your high? Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction rating of any. Why don't you look your whiny friends in the eye and stand up for your great experience? I'm not discounting their beef but it seems you are not as determined as they are touting misfortune as to declare your good fortune. SMH As the word goes 1 negative will outweigh 10 positives... Nothing is perfect. Spend some time on other car forums and see that there is always a percentage of unhappy customers. Not saying that they are wrong but maybe some positive will help. When equal parts of liquid and air are in a glass, Is the glass generally half empty or half full for you? Expect something is going to go wrong with most everything. How you choose to deal with it will determine whether you are generally happy or angry. Good luck!

1. Why give it to him when we could drive it ?
There are only so many cars you can garage and drive. Yes, they need to be driven so that, as per Elon, they collect the data for every mile and therefore improve FSD, making robotaxi closer to reality. Who better than teenagers to drive the cars to rack up self driving data miles. Just storing them doesn't do it. I am offering you an opportunity for at least one more car you can make money on than you can manage to drive yourself. By saying no, you're turning down up to $200K per car, in just 2 years.

2. Why buy it now when we can wait a year and have a newer version?
Because, according to Elon, the prices are going up fast. Teslas are appreciating assets, which cannot happen if people can buy a new version for less. So, the only way they stay appreciating assets is if Tesla keeps rising their prices, with target being up to $250K. Imagine what bitcoin price would be if you could still buy it today at the original price. If we assume linear appreciation, Model 3 will cost ~150K next year.

3. Why spend money on cars when we can buy more TSLA?
  1. Buying TSLA doesn't bring in FSD data miles, so it doesn't help bring robotaxis closer
  2. The money actually doesn't even go direct to Tesla, but instead to those who are selling it to you, so you're not really helping Tesla reach their FSD goals.
  3. As Teslas are appreciating, and Model 3 prices start moving north towards the forecast $250K, The demand will shrink. $250K is above the price of Model S and X, so maybe look at number of predicted Roadster sales (same price). This means that Tesla revenue will not actually increase 5x as the price does. There will be additional revenue or losses from other businesses, batteries, solar, insurance, vehicles for Boring Tunnels, etc, etc. All those add to uncertainty of the TSLA price. With the car guaranteed to hit $250K in value, you have a low risk 5x return in 2 years (the only risk is whether Elon was right on this one thing).

Does that answer you questions? Keep in mind, all this is assuming Elon is correct. IMHO if he believed his own story, he'd spend majority of his personal billions buying Model 3's and giving them to people to drive, then make 5x the money in 2 years. If would sure help Tesla financial if Elon bought a few billions worth of Model 3's - they might not need to raise money with all the profit they'd make from the sale of Model 3's to Elon. Win-win all around - Tesla gets a sales number boost, Elon more than quadruples his fortune (even more considering that his TSLA sticks will be worth more by some amount). :)

• Funny
Reactions: GeoX750
Official word is that there was a lot of "Pull Forward" of the X and S demand as so many rushed their purchases delivered before the full Tax Credit went away. It was a tremendous rush to get every car delivered as possible for the $7,500 Federal Credit went away.

In first Q 2019 the rush was ended and the smaller 75Kw battery was discontinued. Only the 100Kw was available, so demand was reduced. In addition thousands of Tesla were beginning to be shipped to Europe and Asia. Tesla cannot count them as sales if they are in transit and not yet picked up by their new owners.

Many people that would have purchased an S or X have decided to buy the less expensive Model 3 instead. Imagine that 3 sales will also decline when the Model Y is in volume production.

Tesla's cars are getting better, and their costs are coming down.

So with this explanation, TSLA should see double the deliveries in Q2?

There are only so many cars you can garage and drive. Yes, they need to be driven so that, as per Elon, they collect the data for every mile and therefore improve FSD, making robotaxi closer to reality. Who better than teenagers to drive the cars to rack up self driving data miles. Just storing them doesn't do it. I am offering you an opportunity for at least one more car you can make money on than you can manage to drive yourself. By saying no, you're turning down up to $200K per car, in just 2 years.

Because, according to Elon, the prices are going up fast. Teslas are appreciating assets, which cannot happen if people can buy a new version for less. So, the only way they stay appreciating assets is if Tesla keeps rising their prices, with target being up to $250K. Imagine what bitcoin price would be if you could still buy it today at the original price. If we assume linear appreciation, Model 3 will cost ~150K next year.

1. Buying TSLA doesn't bring in FSD data miles, so it doesn't help bring robotaxis closer
  2. The money actually doesn't even go direct to Tesla, but instead to those who are selling it to you, so you're not really helping Tesla reach their FSD goals.
  3. As Teslas are appreciating, and Model 3 prices start moving north towards the forecast $250K, The demand will shrink. $250K is above the price of Model S and X, so maybe look at number of predicted Roadster sales (same price). This means that Tesla revenue will not actually increase 5x as the price does. There will be additional revenue or losses from other businesses, batteries, solar, insurance, vehicles for Boring Tunnels, etc, etc. All those add to uncertainty of the TSLA price. With the car guaranteed to hit $250K in value, you have a low risk 5x return in 2 years (the only risk is whether Elon was right on this one thing).

Does that answer you questions? Keep in mind, all this is assuming Elon is correct. IMHO if he believed his own story, he'd spend majority of his personal billions buying Model 3's and giving them to people to drive, then make 5x the money in 2 years. If would sure help Tesla financial if Elon bought a few billions worth of Model 3's - they might not need to raise money with all the profit they'd make from the sale of Model 3's to Elon. Win-win all around - Tesla gets a sales number boost, Elon more than quadruples his fortune (even more considering that his TSLA sticks will be worth more by some amount). :)

Whoever believes this nonsense about Teslas being appreciating assets is equivalent in my mind to people believing the Earth is flat. What a bunch of bs comes from Elon’s mouth sometimes, it’s incredible.

There is no way you can insure a car, driven by some kid, and owned by someone else...pipe dream.
That is just not true. I could even insure your life if I want to (would need to know who you are of course), nothing illegal about it. You are not even required to know about policies people take out on your life (you don't pay premiums, you don't receive the benefit). But I understand if you don't believe me, so if I make the insurance work, how many Model 3's are you buying as an investment? ;)

Don't be a sour grape. These cars are fantastic, and constantly getting better.
How am I a sour grape? I am offering you an opportunity to 5x your money in 2 years, unless of course you are the sour grape by saying Elon has no clue what he's talking about. :eek:

These cars are fantastic, and constantly getting better.
A quick search on V9 discussions on TMC here would counter your point about getting better. I gave a ride to a friend visiting from another state today, he loved the smooth drive and acceleration. He loved the big screen, so he tried the web browser, turns out browser is dead. I told him it used to work, now it works once in a blue moon, maybe next time he visits the stars will align just right for it to work. Then I told him the story how an ill-thought update from Tesla costed us a side $600 side mirror, told him that my wife just didn't read the release notes thoroughly in the morning. So he wanted to see release notes, oops, they didn't show up either (blank screen). He then tried the user manual (I've honestly never once did that in the car, so can't tell if it ever worked), evidently that doesn't work either (headings worked, but once he navigated to the page he wanted to see, nothing showed up). "Yep" I said, "Welcome to Tesla perma-beta software quality". He then asked "How much was this car?"...

Why do you feel you have to take the negative experience of others to kill what should be your high? Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction rating of any. Why don't you look your whiny friends in the eye and stand up for your great experience? I'm not discounting their beef but it seems you are not as determined as they are touting misfortune as to declare your good fortune. SMH As the word goes 1 negative will outweigh 10 positives... Nothing is perfect. Spend some time on other car forums and see that there is always a percentage of unhappy customers. Not saying that they are wrong but maybe some positive will help. When equal parts of liquid and air are in a glass, Is the glass generally half empty or half full for you? Expect something is going to go wrong with most everything. How you choose to deal with it will determine whether you are generally happy or angry. Good luck!

Wow, thank you for that self help advice ? And I didn't even need to pay a therapist !