Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Shields mudflap review.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Full disclosure, I received these mudflaps from Tesla Shields for review, no compensation and the opinions here are my own, no script or suggestions from Tesla Shields.

The mudflaps arrived yesterday and I immediately unboxed them to do a visual inspection. They looked very familiar... they are identical to the ones I already had on the rear of the car :) By identical, I mean that they are identical down to having the same mold release lines. So, first good sign is that I am reviewing a product that I previously paid my own money to receive from elsewhere.

From the back of the car they are great looking, and they should preform well blocking debris from hitting the side of the car. The fronts install easily, but with the rears the bottom bolt is an issue. I was able to remove my bottom bolt completely, but then it was very difficult to get the bolt to line up properly with the mudflap in place. I ended up doing the "notch the mudflap mounting hole" option discussed in the thread for people who had trouble fully removing the bolt. After doing the notch the bolt screws down firmly on the mudflap and holds it securely.

Simply put, they look pretty nice, come with new longer push pins, and are a 5 min install on the front using a flat tip screwdriver to remove the old push pins, and (if you notch the bolt mount hole) a 5 min install on the back using the flat tip screw driver to remove the push pins and a 10mm wrench or ratchet to back out the bolt. If you don't want to notch the bolt hole it may take you a bit longer to install the rears than it does the fronts.

The good: Easy to install, not expensive, look good from the back.

The bad: Open front design (side facing the tire) looks odd to some people (including me, I covered mine in vinyl wrap), but isn't a problem for most.

Later,

Keith

The mudflaps arrived yesterday and I immediately unboxed them to do a visual inspection. They looked very familiar... they are identical to the ones I already had on the rear of the car :) By identical, I mean that they are identical down to having the same mold release lines. So, first good sign is that I am reviewing a product that I previously paid my own money to receive from elsewhere.

Thanks for the review. Interesting. When I asked the vendor how (or if) their mudflaps differed from the competition, they were pretty emphatic in their reply. Stating in part: "First of all, ours is a bit longer and offers more coverage. 2nd we use a sturdier type of plastic." So is this not correct? Guess the lifetime replacement warranty is a good perk though.

Do the front mudflaps have the open cavity design? The first set I bought had this design and I wasn't a fan...difficult to keep clean. Replaced them with the A-Premiums which don't have this open cavity design and are thus much easier to keep clean.

Hey guys,

Full disclosure, I received these mudflaps from Tesla Shields for review, no compensation and the opinions here are my own, no script or suggestions from Tesla Shields.

From the back of the car they are great looking, and they should preform well blocking debris from hitting the side of the car. The fronts install easily, but with the rears the bottom bolt is an issue. I was able to remove my bottom bolt completely, but then it was very difficult to get the bolt to line up properly with the mudflap in place. I ended up doing the "notch the mudflap mounting hole" option discussed in the thread for people who had trouble fully removing the bolt. After doing the notch the bolt screws down firmly on the mudflap and holds it securely.

Simply put, they look pretty nice, come with new longer push pins, and are a 5 min install on the front using a flat tip screwdriver to remove the old push pins, and (if you notch the bolt mount hole) a 5 min install on the back using the flat tip screw driver to remove the push pins and a 10mm wrench or ratchet to back out the bolt. If you don't want to notch the bolt hole it may take you a bit longer to install the rears than it does the fronts.

The bad: Open front design (side facing the tire) looks odd to some people (including me, I covered mine in vinyl wrap), but isn't a problem for most.

Later,

Keith
I was told by the vendor that the read bolt doesn’t have to be removed or messed with at all?

@Fourdoor thanks for the review! Yeah I noticed that they were claiming their flaps were longer than the identical-looking options out there, and I thought that was a rather dubious claim from the images. It sounds like they were indeed mistaken. So these are just yet another source for the same design as several others already out there. Good to know.

Reactions: ucsdsig
Hey guys,

Later,

Keith
I am planning to purchase the Tesla Shields Mud guards, could post pictures what do you mean by the bad. Thanks