Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Shipping - Moving to Australia from US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that the charge port is different here in Australia (type 2, supports 3 phase). Where in USA they use a different connector that is 1 phase only. Even if LHD is not a showstopper, I would find this to be a major problem. Probably means you wouldn't be able to use any charging infrastructure designed for Tesla use.

I recommend sell and repurchase.

Charging isn't really too much of an issue anymore. There is someone in europe who makes adapters and you get the odd european driving an imported Model 3 without issues now.

What will be an issue is the LHD unless he lives in the northern territory.

What will be an issue is the LHD unless he lives in the northern territory.
I was about to comment that one used to have to sport a large sign on the rear bumper to the effect that the vehicle was LHD but that went away years ago and import of "Yank Tanks" became a sort of cottage industry. But that was all in the NT and so long ago that it's quite possible the whole story is changed now. I would give the consulate (is there one in LA?) or the embassy in DC a call and ask for guidance.

My impression was that it is as with the deer over here - they get transfixed by the headlights.

i had to extensively drive through the outback at night and... as long as the little shits don't look at the car they are completely fine and just hop out of the way. If they start looking they won't move. It's like a hypnotizing python, they just stare at the headlights and won't move for 5-10seconds no matter how much you honk.

And if you are in Far North Qld in summer, there is a good reason why one beautiful day after another sees absolutely nobody swimming at the beaches. But it's like anything else, there are well understood precautions to take and you'll be fine.

On a brighter note, anyone see the update notes that the car will now recognize dogs as humans? Makes me hopeful that the AP cannot tell the difference between a kangaroo and a dog!!!

And if you are in Far North Qld in summer, there is a good reason why one beautiful day after another sees absolutely nobody swimming at the beaches. But it's like anything else, there are well understood precautions to take and you'll be fine.

Haters gotta hate. I kitesurf all the time in Cairns. None of the locals ever got injured in the water and we get a few people from Darwin who say that getting stung is just part of the experience.

I've been to Australia several times. The people are very friendly and have a great sense of humor. Don't worry about the wildlife.
He’s lying. We arent friendly and the wildlife arent either. We ran a tourism campaign swearing at tourists for not getting here yet.
Need more proof; every tourist that comes here leaves. Obviously put off by aussies.

• Funny
Reactions: baillies and mspohr
I have never hit a kangaroo, but came within a bee's d**k of hitting a moose at night in NH

For kangaroos, head for the tail - they don't go backwards
For wombats - pray
Actually for big proper kangaroos head for the accelerator at the last moment. If your car nose is down the roos feet will go through the windscreen and kick you to death. This is the only cause of death known by kangaroo. I’m from a roo infested country town. Its taught at a young age. Accelerate. Either way the car is trashed. And dont drive above 50kmh at night in roo country.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Yes found that out the first visit. Stunning beach. No-one in the water so in we went. Once about 50m out we realised there were a lot of sharks and stingrays between us and the shore, although I became like moses or jesus or whoever it was that walked on water.

• Funny
Reactions: baillies
Actually for big proper kangaroos head for the accelerator at the last moment. If your car nose is down the roos feet will go through the windscreen and kick you to death. This is the only cause of death known by kangaroo. I’m from a roo infested country town. Its taught at a young age. Accelerate. Either way the car is trashed. And dont drive above 50kmh at night in roo country.
Don't know about the M3, but in an S if you hit a tall object front on, the bonnet pops up from the windscreen edge to create a ramp and the object goes over the top and does not penetrate the windscreen

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and Hairyman