Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Should Allow Access to Public Wi-Fi Through Sing-In Pages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a rural area, and my internet at home is reminiscent of the early 2000s. That makes firmware updates difficult for me, and I'm sure other owners experience the same--including people in apartments where they can't park close enough to access their home wifi. A simple workaround is to go park outside a retail business that offers wifi, and use it to download updates. Except most of those networks now use a "sign in" or "accept terms" webpage before they give you access. The Tesla UI, as far as I can tell, doesn't support this (please let me know if I'm wrong). It seems like it shouldn't be that hard to update the UI so it launches the browser when one of those wifi access pages is trying to prompt. That would be a huge help for all of us who don't have good access to internet at our homes.

Reactions: Joshnickell
If you have good cell service and a good data plan, you could use your phone as a WiFi hotspot to download updates, which is a common workaround. The alternative is to find a WiFi provider that doesn’t use captive portals, including a Tesla service center if you’re near one.

Yeah, I just use my hotspot. Car too far from my router. I leave my phone in the car for a while and when it’s done downloading I go out and grab it.

Reactions: Baluchi
If you have good cell service and a good data plan, you could use your phone as a WiFi hotspot to download updates, which is a common workaround. The alternative is to find a WiFi provider that doesn’t use captive portals, including a Tesla service center if you’re near one.
Good suggestions. I do use my phone wifi as my typical workaround--it usually requires that I buy additional data, which doesn't always seem worth it. I've swung by our Service Center too, but only if I happen to be in that area because it's an hour away.

I'm in a rural area, and my internet at home is reminiscent of the early 2000s. That makes firmware updates difficult for me, and I'm sure other owners experience the same--including people in apartments where they can't park close enough to access their home wifi. A simple workaround is to go park outside a retail business that offers wifi, and use it to download updates. Except most of those networks now use a "sign in" or "accept terms" webpage before they give you access. The Tesla UI, as far as I can tell, doesn't support this (please let me know if I'm wrong). It seems like it shouldn't be that hard to update the UI so it launches the browser when one of those wifi access pages is trying to prompt. That would be a huge help for all of us who don't have good access to internet at our homes.
Starlink?

Good suggestions. I do use my phone wifi as my typical workaround--it usually requires that I buy additional data, which doesn't always seem worth it. I've swung by our Service Center too, but only if I happen to be in that area because it's an hour away.
This doesn't always work with all captive portals, but for some, if your phone allows you to see the URL for the captive portal, you can try entering that in the Tesla's browser. If you have your calendar synced with the car, you can probably put a link in your calendar entry and save yourself from typing. I don't use the calendar so I personally don't know how it works though.

• Informative
Reactions: Baluchi