Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Should Consider an AI Based Addition for the Owner's Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlocking the full potential of a Tesla vehicle is currently a daunting task for the new owner. Tesla is at the forefront of innovation in many areas but continues to use the standard format for the Owner's Manual. I believe there is ample evidence that the current Owner's Manual is not doing a good job in two areas. The first area is answering owner's questions and and the second area is providing a window to access to the car's amazing features. One need only search this owner's forum to reveal the countless, "How do I .....?" questions and search the web for "Tesla tricks", "Tesla hidden features," "Tesla secret" to reveal numerous helpful features that are either undocumented. I don't think a touch screen is the way to answer, "How do I ...." or "Can I ..." or "Why isn't the .... working" type questions.

Whats your point? How does AI help here? You don't need AI to enable something like a voice search function to the in car users manual and have the car tell you the answer to your question.
It would be a voice or text search still. The AI would help to normalize the various ways humans ask questions into the proper search result. Possibly even ask back if there is a lack of clarity. Otherwise with 'voice search' the human often has to know the right keywords which they don't. Already now with voice commands we need to know the specific phrasing, but if you don't use that, it gets confused or does nothing. This should be a primary use case for the language AI models now. The downside is that there's little chance they could be run onboard and would need connectivity to servers.

Consider we are much more knowledgeable here and immersed in the jargon than average drivers.

I've had this specific problem with voice commands: "turn off nav voice". "stop navigation audio". "set nav volume to zero" Nope. It needs to be 'mute voice guidance'. I would have never found that on its own, particularly as it doesn't include the important "navigation" context that humans would use.

And that's because I think 'navigation' keyword means "navigate to a place" and it can't distinguish it and with the above or similar it did the wrong thing. A good enough AI would understand the subject matter behind these and the different grammatical constructions, like understanding when 'nav' is an adjective, noun or verb in effect.

Unlocking the full potential of a Tesla vehicle is currently a daunting task for the new owner. Tesla is at the forefront of innovation in many areas but continues to use the standard format for the Owner's Manual. I believe there is ample evidence that the current Owner's Manual is not doing a good job in two areas. The first area is answering owner's questions and and the second area is providing a window to access to the car's amazing features. One need only search this owner's forum to reveal the countless, "How do I .....?" questions and search the web for "Tesla tricks", "Tesla hidden features," "Tesla secret" to reveal numerous helpful features that are either undocumented. I don't think a touch screen is the way to answer, "How do I ...." or "Can I ..." or "Why isn't the .... working" type questions.
Here it is: