Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should desugn a better and smarter light like the BMW M4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is very behind in their technology in this regard
There are sectors in which you can apply your skills in technology to better the situation, and there are ones where it is fruitless. Because of severely outdated restrictions that the NHTSA has had in place for decades regarding automotive lighting, then, as Fezzik just wrote, cars in the US cannot legally possess the kinds of lights that merit a lot of technological footwork.

If you have trouble going to sleep, wade through the relevant law: US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 571. It's a real snorer.

Here is a 2013 article outlining some of the problems we have in the USA regarding automotive illumination, and comparing the situation here versus that in Europe: Cars' LED lighting revolution slowed by regulations

The Wikipedia article on NHTSA does lean on the condemnatory side, at least in present decades. Most of the article's frustration is brought out wrt the US, alone in the entire world, from permitting the ECE framework from being legal here. I think that means we side with Bhutan and South Yemen....and that's about it <a joke, friends....> National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Europe's regulations regarding automotive lighting is more advanced than is the US's; other than ECE compliance, I no longer know the situation in Japan, nor do I know if those M4 concept lights are legal today even in Europe. What I think we can agree upon is to give a nod to BMW for probing the possibilities so that, once the regulatory authorities modernize their specifications, the entire automotive fleet can possess safer illumination.

It's got frickin' laaayzers

Like to have those to shine directly into the rear view mirror of the vehicle that just cut me off. Wonder if that mode is supported on BMW, well... it'd be my first hack if not.