Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should enable their cars with downloadable engine sounds like ring tones.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you want the sound of a ferrari then buy a ferrari

silence is the new loud, the sound of electric is beautiful, and when accelerating the motor creates a whine which sounds like a spaceship taking off

Well, OP - you can do that to your own car if you so choose. As for me, if TM were to offer that....well, that likely would be the day I would be selling my TSLA stock, AND my Model S. Or, as another poster eloquently put, Yecch.

I agree with the OP and am hoping for exactly that when the X arrives. The problem it solves is politely making pedestrians in parking lots etc. aware that there's an otherwise silent car behind them so they'll get out of the middle of the road. Besides, it doesn't have to sound like an ICE, I was planning on a B movie flying saucer sound.

The problem it solves is politely making pedestrians in parking lots etc. aware that there's an otherwise silent car behind them so they'll get out of the middle of the road.

Yes but it introduces another problem - the car is noisy all the time.

When you're in a parking lot, just turn up the volume on your stereo. Wind down windows/open pano if necessary.

I have one of these:
Horntones MP3 Car Horn is an air horn, train horn, fog horn and musical horn.

Got the idea from DrTaras. I have it programmed so when I want, I can make the Cylon scanner sound, or the KITT scanner, or any of many other noises.

Purely for fun. 99.9% of the time its silent running. But I have made a couple people jump (and smile) when I turned on one of these sounds (not too loud) when they were unknowingly walking along slowly blocking me in parking lots! Disneyland fans will recognize the various Disney sounds I also have loaded, such as the Matterhorn's announcement "Remain seated please; permanecer sentados por favor." :)

I think this is actually a pretty cool idea. But the last thing the Model S should do is try to sound like a gas powered car. Having its own sound, linked to the speed of the motor, might help give drivers a sense of their speed without having to frequently look at the speedometer. Absolutely, there would need to be a number of different choices, and the ability to control its volume or turn it off altogether.

This could get really weird and wonderful! I like the idea of independent slow speed / acceleration / braking sound effects. Perhaps lateral acceleration as well.

I'd like to bring back up my earlier suggestions:

a) Make the pneumatic suspension programmable so you could jump the car or at least have a programmable rhythm for bouncing.
b) LED illumination under the car to give it the glowing hover car effect, ideally color/intensity programmable.

Perhaps the external sound track, LED lighting and suspension bouncing could be synchronized. I'm thinking Flash Dance or a Strauss waltz or something similar.

In many parts of the world, hearing is almost as important as vision, when it comes to traffic safety . In Asia and Middle East (don't know about Africa), many people don't even bother to turn their head when changing lanes: They rely solely on sound, and mirrors (if at all). In other ways, they change lane rather slowly, and if no honking is heard, well then the lane was clear! Try to enter "horn please" or "horn ok please" in google image search, and you get the picture, how it works in places like India. People are literally painting signs on the back of their vehicles where they admit they don't look where they are going, so please honk to let your presence known. Duh!

The same goes for pedestrians - many people will not look out if they don't hear any cars close by. I predict a number of accidents in these regions in particular, where might of way takes precedence over right of way, and sound is favoured over looking out. The larger and noisier a vehicle is, the more other vehicles will yield - simple physics applied! So if there is no noise, I probably don't have to look out.

There needs to be some device - either by Tesla or third party - which uses speed, acceleration and other inputs from driving habits, to detect in what environment the car is driving, and for that trigger a sound, if any. Maybe even input from GPS and map data, to say whether it is a city, country or highway environment. Add to that time of day, and ambient noise measurement, to adjust the level of whatever sound is produced. There is no need for a super loud BEEP BEEP BEEP at 3 am, when all around is quiet.

There could be directional speakers, one in the front, as well as one in the rear (only active when going in reverse). Sideways speakers would be required only in markets where people tend not to look when changing lanes (!!!)

Instead of having a multitude of "ring tones" available, there should be a few, standardised sounds used by EVs, or even other cars. It does not have to be resembling an ICE engine, but some sound which people will instantly relate to a vehicle moving. Imagine an airport, with all it's near-silent electric bikes and carts - if they didn't carry a beeper, lot's more people would be hit by them.

If Tesla doesn't build it, third party suppliers will.

It could even be driven by a smart phone, using GPS, microphone, map data, acceleration and so on. All you need is to give it constant power, and connect the audio out to an amplifier and speaker.

Electric cars is a great effort to improve the environment, but if people start getting in accidents because they literally didn't hear it coming, then there will be a demand for such measures. Before these accidents start to occur, we might as well think ahead.

I do agree totally that 1) an EV should not pretend to sound like an ICE and 2) there shouldn't be a dumb speaker/beeper which just starts out at max volume, any time the vehicle is in motion.

An automatic, well balanced and intelligent solution will be best for all parties (except maybe undertakes and lawyers)

Perhaps the sound of studded snow tires crunching the road?

Seriously. You do not want a novel sound. It needs to be something that a pedestrian already associates with a moving car. Otherwise you may just as well blow the horn.

Last edited: