Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should number Key cards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are they supposed to tell two identical Toyota keys apart? They're supposed to track them by placing them in or with something that identifies the owner. If they're mixing them up then they fail as a valet, and you should not only pay them a 0% tip but should also get free parking.
Keys can be attached. How do attach a key card? Shoulda, coulda, woulda -- a word to wise.

I’ve seen valets use little ziploc type bags with labels on them for Tesla key cards. It’s the valets responsibility to figure it out and your personal responsibility to mark yours if need be for your use.

Thats how tesla itself does it (little bags). At least, that is what I saw when I was in there for service a couple weeks ago.

I wondered about this myself, when I first got my car in 2018. (/e shakes cane....) "Back in my day" (lmao) there were not nearly as many teslas as there are now, and model 3s were pretty new so no one really knew what to do with them. I got a lanyard style holder for my keycard, that I keep in my glove compartment.

I dont valet anywhere unless its mandatory (I avoided it with my other vehicles too), but I like to be prepared in case. Now, of course, these cars are basically toyota camry's so any valet would have had to figure out how to ID these cars a long, long (long) time ago.

Typically when you valet, there is a claim ticket, one part is given to the driver, the other part stays with the keys. They probably just tape their part of the stub to the keycard.

You could put a label on your keycard with your license plate number if it gives you some peace of mind.

Reactions: TesraY
It certainly depends on the location. I’m on vacation now and the hotel valet knows exactly how to operate the car with the key card, without a single instruction from me. Not surprising because this is in LA so I assume they have plenty of prior experience with Tesla.

Reactions: kayak1
Are you new to valeting? It's not your job to identify the keys. It's their job.

But if you're concerned, here's a great option.

I keep one of these in the car for valet, tire service, etc because it makes it easier for them to attach their tags. When I handed It over to the guy at the tire place, he said it was a good idea. I know they service a lot of Teslas there and I was shocked. I told him he should get a bunch of them with his business information printed on them to give to his customers.

Reactions: TSLY and BitJam
Are you new to valeting? It's not your job to identify the keys. It's their job.

But if you're concerned, here's a great option.

I'm not new to valets, I just don't trust them. I've had keycards misplaced and cars damaged. Here's a temporary solution to prevent my keycard getting mixed-up with a dozen others.
IMG_6096D.JPG