Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should number Key cards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not new to valets, I just don't trust them. I've had keycards misplaced and cars damaged. Here's a temporary solution to prevent my keycard getting mixed-up with a dozen others. View attachment 866769
If they were to use a sleeve to place the card in (like the one most employees hang around their neck for ID) then they can place your unique identifier in the sleeve as well. Wow what a simple fix to a terrible first world problem

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
I put vinyl stickers on mine matching the color of my car (Midnight Silver Metallic), making them absolutely distinctive and unmissable. The last time I brought my Tesla for service, the SC managed to lose them anyway. They gave me new card keys as a freebie, but then a week later they "found" the color-matched one and I went back and got it.

Reactions: TSLY
Thats how tesla itself does it (little bags). At least, that is what I saw when I was in there for service a couple weeks ago.

I wondered about this myself, when I first got my car in 2018. (/e shakes cane....) "Back in my day" (lmao) there were not nearly as many teslas as there are now, and model 3s were pretty new so no one really knew what to do with them. I got a lanyard style holder for my keycard, that I keep in my glove compartment.

I dont valet anywhere unless its mandatory (I avoided it with my other vehicles too), but I like to be prepared in case. Now, of course, these cars are basically toyota camry's so any valet would have had to figure out how to ID these cars a long, long (long) time ago.
That's what I do I keep a little Keycard holder in my center console, and give this to the Valet. has key ring and teeth clasp on it. Before I drop off the car I just slip in my key card into it, set car to Valet and done.

How is a valet supposed to ID one key card from another? Valet parking is bad enough without confusing them or having to suffer from them misplacing yours. Tesla should number Key cards. That's a no brainer! Scotch taped a white dot on mine, just to avoid any hassle.
I put my name on it with black sharpie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 70
How is a valet supposed to ID one key card from another? Valet parking is bad enough without confusing them or having to suffer from them misplacing yours. Tesla should number Key cards. That's a no brainer! Scotch taped a white dot on mine, just to avoid any hassle.
How does that help them identify which Tesla key card goes to which Tesla? You think they throw all the keys and cards into a bucket and randomly choose one when the owner comes to get their car, run over to the car only to find out it's the wrong one then come run back and grab a different key card to try again?

As soon as I got those keys, I used my Dymo labeller to add the license plate number and a single digit number to each card. The single digit number is for me, so I can easily tell which card is which. The license plate number tells anyone with the key, what car to look for.
Do you have any concern about losing/misplacing your wallet or keycard and someone not 100% honest finding them? I mean it is kind of like putting your home address on your house keys. I might recommend your cell phone number or something.

Label may looked better but I just write on them with a paint marker. When I was out of work a while back, we were planning on buying more vehicles to add to the rental fleet. This was a simple solution to what card goes to what vehicle.

1666964940991.png

Do you have any concern about losing/misplacing your wallet or keycard and someone not 100% honest finding them? I mean it is kind of like putting your home address on your house keys. I might recommend your cell phone number or something.
No, I don’t really. I’ve never lost a wallet, and that’s where the key card lives. If I lost the card (and my wallet) I’ve got bigger concerns, but I’d just have the card deactivated and get another.