TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla should of had key fobs for the Model 3.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Fusion, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Fusion

Fusion Member

They should of at least gave the option of key fobs for the extended models with tech package.
    *Flame suit on just in case... haha

• Like x 7
  2. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

the only thing i don't like is the inconvenience of opening the trunks by having to go into the app. (as far as i know). But i like where Tesla is going with this. I soon don't want to carry any keys nor a wallet. Just have everything tied to my phone.

3. roblab

roblab Active Member

I thought so too, at first. After two and a half months, I have to say, relax. You'll get used to it, and you'll like it. Fobs are OK, but having the phone unlock and allow driving, while sitting in your pocket, makes it easy. And since the trunk is manual, no difference there. The frunk is no problem. I keep my charge cords there in the S, and it's empty in the 3. And I don't have summon on the 3 yet, but the phone would be no worse in my mind.

Of course, YMMV.

4. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

I think if you grab the trunk as long as your phone is near it will unlock. Let me go test....

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The trunk you should be able to open with the button on the trunk lid. (Walk-up unlock) The Frunk would require using the app or center touch screen.

• Informative x 2
  6. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

If your phone is in your pocket, you should be able to just go up to the trunk and pull the release handle and it will open.

Edit: Looks like 57 other people beat me to this. :D

• Informative x 1
  7. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

Confirmed: as long as your phone is connected to the car the trunk will unlock on pull just like the doors. frunk is the only one you have to use the app which is I assume why they put the shortcut up front on the app.

8. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

dang, people were all over this one. lol

9. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

Telsa thinks of everything. Man i love them!

• Like x 2
  10. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

I don't want to sound like the grammar police, but "should-of" in the title should be "should've" or "should have."

Back on topic, you're allowed to drive the car with only your phone right? In the back of my mind I remember people saying that the card needs to be in the center console.

Call me old school but I prefer a typical key fob. I like having the extra control over when I want to lock/unlock. I think it'll take me a while to get used to walking away from a car and having it lock by itself.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

After recent update, you can open your Frunk or unlock car with app instantly(without waiting for car to wake up):

PSA: You don't need internet to open frunk/door with phone app

• Informative x 1
  12. John Lamoureux

John Lamoureux l Parzival l

Great, this fob'ing topic again... :D

• Funny x 4
  13. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

facial recognition on the AP cameras. nothing needed.
    "No sir, you in fact, do not have to be naked for the recognition software."
    "No sir, I don't believe it works better that way"

• Funny x 6
  14. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Active Member

Dial *321 from your rotary phone and it will unlock the trunk.

• Funny x 2
  15. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet. This would be a pretty great idea, works very well on my iPhone X although sometimes in very bright sunlight it has a hard time unlocking with my face.

16. cartwright

cartwright Member

Apologies for being pedantic, but I can't help it...

"Should of" is a big pet peeve of mine. You meant "Should have" or "Should've".

• Like x 3
  17. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

We picked up our Model 3 last Tuesday and after driving them both during the past week I've been thinking exactly the opposite: The S/X needs to get rid of the fob. I'm tired of carrying extra "stuff." I always have my wallet with me (keycard) and I always have my phone with me, so don't make me carry a fob for every car I own.

• Like x 3
  18. Esme Es Mejor

Esme Es Mejor Member

Have course, he should of written should’ve. Irregardless, for all intensive purposes, this error is so normal that I know longer point it out.

• Funny x 13
  19. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

So you're saying you could care less? :)

• Funny x 4
  20. CjRichMar

CjRichMar Member

I am on board with both arguments in this thread. He should've used "should have" or some derivation thereof. Also, Tesla should've given us the option of a key fob.

The whole bluetooth thing only works about 50% of the time for me. If I'm on the phone, it doesn't connect at all. If I have my hands full, it doesn't work. If I'm leaving the gym with my bluetooth headphones still connected, I have to disconnect, cycle bluetooth, then wait a few moments and try again. All of this is even more complicated when my hands are full of things like groceries. To compound matters, once I'm inside the car it's a coinflip on whether or not bluetooth will actually connect to the car and allow me to drive without placing the key card on the center console. I love most things about this car, but IMO the entry mechanism is a ****show.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1