Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should of had key fobs for the Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the only thing i don't like is the inconvenience of opening the trunks by having to go into the app. (as far as i know). But i like where Tesla is going with this. I soon don't want to carry any keys nor a wallet. Just have everything tied to my phone.

I thought so too, at first. After two and a half months, I have to say, relax. You'll get used to it, and you'll like it. Fobs are OK, but having the phone unlock and allow driving, while sitting in your pocket, makes it easy. And since the trunk is manual, no difference there. The frunk is no problem. I keep my charge cords there in the S, and it's empty in the 3. And I don't have summon on the 3 yet, but the phone would be no worse in my mind.

Of course, YMMV.

the only thing i don't like is the inconvenience of opening the trunks by having to go into the app. (as far as i know). But i like where Tesla is going with this. I soon don't want to carry any keys nor a wallet. Just have everything tied to my phone.

If your phone is in your pocket, you should be able to just go up to the trunk and pull the release handle and it will open.

Edit: Looks like 57 other people beat me to this. :D

• Informative
Reactions: pmich80
Confirmed: as long as your phone is connected to the car the trunk will unlock on pull just like the doors. frunk is the only one you have to use the app which is I assume why they put the shortcut up front on the app.

I don't want to sound like the grammar police, but "should-of" in the title should be "should've" or "should have."

Back on topic, you're allowed to drive the car with only your phone right? In the back of my mind I remember people saying that the card needs to be in the center console.

Call me old school but I prefer a typical key fob. I like having the extra control over when I want to lock/unlock. I think it'll take me a while to get used to walking away from a car and having it lock by itself.

• Informative
Reactions: pcpro and Nurkbonis

After recent update, you can open your Frunk or unlock car with app instantly(without waiting for car to wake up):

PSA: You don't need internet to open frunk/door with phone app

• Informative
Reactions: voltage
facial recognition on the AP cameras. nothing needed.
"No sir, you in fact, do not have to be naked for the recognition software."
"No sir, I don't believe it works better that way"

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet. This would be a pretty great idea, works very well on my iPhone X although sometimes in very bright sunlight it has a hard time unlocking with my face.

I am on board with both arguments in this thread. He should've used "should have" or some derivation thereof. Also, Tesla should've given us the option of a key fob.

The whole bluetooth thing only works about 50% of the time for me. If I'm on the phone, it doesn't connect at all. If I have my hands full, it doesn't work. If I'm leaving the gym with my bluetooth headphones still connected, I have to disconnect, cycle bluetooth, then wait a few moments and try again. All of this is even more complicated when my hands are full of things like groceries. To compound matters, once I'm inside the car it's a coinflip on whether or not bluetooth will actually connect to the car and allow me to drive without placing the key card on the center console. I love most things about this car, but IMO the entry mechanism is a ****show.