Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Should Provide Free CHAdeMO adapters to Businesses Offering Free Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah - I was thinking about manufacturers that might consider offering a Tesla cable as an option for a _new_ charger. Different situation.

I still think that there is nearly ZERO incentive for a network provider who might buy and install the charger... it's still a bit difficult to compete with "free forever". Certainly, there are isolated situations where it might make sense, provided Tesla never plops in a Supercharger nearby.

The other somewhat significant thing for a charger manufacturer is that there are no available specs from Tesla. I can't imagine a western world established manufacturer who would risk producing Tesla equipment without Tesla data. Maybe somebody from China would, however.

I'm sure that there are folks thinking that this would be something that Tesla would support, but I see no tendency for Tesla to loosen their grip on overall control of their charging infrastructure. I was driving today with a low battery, when it popped up on the screen that I was "out of range of all known chargers", but yet I was within range of perhaps a dozen charge locations... they just weren't Tesla supplied ones.

I honestly don't see Tesla participating, and I don't see network providers / charger manufacturers becoming interested.

I still think that there is nearly ZERO incentive for a network provider who might buy and install the charger... it's still a bit difficult to compete with "free forever".
I agree with that! Looking at it from the perspective of a network supplying a free-for-use charger - why expend resources on an adapter or adaptation that allows more juice used at their expense?
May be some reason to set up an adapter at a pay-for-use charger. Assuming more use = more profit.

OTOH, I agree with ChargePoint's Pat Romano who says that free charging as a loss-leader will be the dominant model.
Q:"Would a Tesla adapter/port enhance a location's demographics vis-a-vis the clientele thus attracted?"
A:"Does Elon Musk walk on airplane wings?"

I messaged Jay who reported the breakage August 2nd
We plan to charge there in two weeks on a trip to Destin (I have an adapter).

Can't copy/paste from PlugShare messages. To summarize:
It is the handle's lever (that is squeezed to lock the connector) that is the issue.
Jay says he tried (in the rain) June 9th and couldn't get it to lock, then two days later got it to work for another driver whom he was helping. It took much force to do it that day. August 2nd it did not work for a relative with Jay's car and adapter.

Again, good luck. Don't give up easily.

Rick

Andy's idea (in the opening message) is very good. An interesting development on this issue is Bjorn's initiative. He recently bought 15 Chademo adapters and he wants to donate them so others can use them.

Unfortunately instead giving them to restaurants or other businesses near Chademo chargers Bjorn is planning to send them to volunteer Model S owners who will keep the adapters in their trunk. Then when somebody needs these adapters, they will call the holder; confirm availability of the adapter and the holder; arrange a meeting; bring deposit equivalent to the full price of the adapter; exchange cash and the adapter; use the adapter for the trip; after the trip call the holder again; arrange a meeting; return the adapter and get the deposit back.

I have been unable to convince Bjorn that is a bad idea. I like Andy's version where the adapter would be donated to a nearby business like a restaurant. Then the restaurant will let their customers use the adapter while they dine. This is similar to Tesla's destination charging program. The map below shows all Chademo chargers in Norway. There are about 120 of them. With somebody like Bjorn leading a campaign like this it should be possible to collect enough donations from the referral credits to cover all Chademo chargers. I will ask Bjorn to comment in this topic.

EFjleH8.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I didn't say either A or B. I said both (if you watched my video carefully). Solution A is to let Model S owners hold them. Solution B is to let nearby gas station/ restaurant/hotel hold them.

Pros solution A (owners lend out):
- Users can use CHAdeMO regardless of opening hours or if that station has a nearby adapter or not
- Less time spent on borrowing/paying deposit/returning, more time on actual charging
- Fellow Model S owners are more likely to help lend out adapters. I already have a handful of people contacting me from all over Europe wanting to help.
- More flexible coverage and is suitable if the need for CHAdeMO is low

Cons solution A (owners lend out):
- Some people don't know the map/site where the lenders are listed whereas if the nearby hotel had it, there would be a sign telling there's an adapter for lend

Pros solution B (business lend out):
- No need to book adapter in advance.
- No need to know about community based map
- Guaranteed to get an adapter at that specific location

Cons solution B (business lend out):
- The business might be closed. Or the business might close during charging. That could lead in restrictions in the use.
- More adapters are needed to cover up most popular places.
- The adapters are stuck there and might not be in use if it's on a less popular spot.

As you see, both solutions have their pros and cons. That's why I will try both and see how it goes. Based on the experiences, I'll adapt the plan to make it the best for the users.

Bjorn,

From this topic I hope you realize how great Andy's idea is. The photo below is from message #37.

A few hours ago on Reddit you said 90% of adapters will go to other Model S owners who will then lend to others if contacted. I hope you don't do that. If you have now changed your mind and will try 50/50 between option A and B, that's an improvement but I still wish you would give up on that idea and start a campaign asking your viewers for donations. Then collect the adapters from Tesla store on their behalf and deliver them to restaurants all over the country and make a series of videos out of this. People would really support this campaign. Many people have now store credits thanks to the referral program. Now is the right time to start this campaign ask for donations. There are only 120 Chademo chargers in Norway. You said you might buy 15 more. So you will have 27. That's already 22% of the entire country. In a few months you would reach 100%.

I believe option A [sending the adapters to Model S owners volunteering to lend them out] is a complete waste of time and money. The chargers would get hardly any use at all except the holders. Most people won't know about it. You said the holders will be listen on some website? This is not a great solution. What website are we talking about? Most people wouldn't know about that. Even if they knew, how are you supposed to know about availability? Do you call each number one by one to see of the holder is in town and the adapter is available? If somebody has borrowed the item for 1 week and doesn't return for 4 weeks, how is that going to work? There are so many problems with this idea.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90062&d=1439232415.jpg

I would certainly suggest for a relatively small place like Norway, that the CHAdeMO adaptor be locked at the stations, with the goal to have all stations with an adaptor.

For the adaptors that will be damaged or stolen over time, hopefully enough donations continue to allow them to be replenished.

The lock box, instead of an individual owner's locked boot or frunk, is the most likely location to keep them for high utilization. This will facilitate more impromptu usage.

The "roving" Tesla stewards would be the contact point identified on the lock box, and could release the box with a phone call and a credit card. The steward would only have to meet the traveling Tesla driver when it was time to return the unit (to receive credit).

The lock box can have a simple combination lock, that is resettable to new codes by the steward (much like a hotel safe). This also keeps the adaptor out of the weather.

The adapter has a firmware. This firmware must be updated at the service center from time to time. I assume updates could be:
- Better stability by improving hand shake
- Throttle the power so certain charging stations don't overheat
- Increase power after seeing that certain charging stations can handle higher load over time
- Bug fixes

If the business holds on to it, the adapter will most likely never be updated. Whereas a Model S owner will easily be able to update it. The 90/10 split was just an estimation. We don't know yet which one will work best. Maybe it will be 50/50 if the response from the business are good.

However, I want to involve 24/7 business only. From my own experience, people need charging at any time of the day/night. Having to plan or rush to get to a charger before the business closes is a serious disadvantage. Being able to refuel at any time is as important as being able to charge at any time.

If somebody has borrowed the item for 1 week and doesn't return for 4 weeks, how is that going to work? There are so many problems with this idea.
I will write a policy for lenders and borrowers. The borrower should estimate how long the adapter is needed. If there is a change in plans, let the lender know. There could also be a 1 week free loan and then some fee for every day over.

There are problems and disadvantages with all solutions, including the restaurant solution. Solution A (Model S owner lend) was supported by many Norwegians who will go on a Europe road trip. We can't cover up all of Europe with adapters. And we don't know which one will be in use. Some Norwegians go to Spain. Some go to Croatia. And some go to Italy. Same goes for foreigners coming to Norway. Some go to North Cape. Some go to the western parts. This solution suits for those "holiday drivers".

But I agree that popular charging stations should have a dedicated adapter available. It just needs to be worked out. So far I have one feedback from Fortum (Fortum Markets - En av Nordens største strømleverandører
). They have provided one adapter at a charging station in Nes (Ådal). I suggested doing the same in Oslo near E6/Furuset where there's a McDonald's. His response was that the restaurant will have to prioritize their food customer.

So the best solution for the charging customer would be to have the adapter locked to the charging station.
Pros:
- Fast and easy to use
- No need to deposit anything
- Available 24/7

Cons:
- Susceptible to vandalism, weather and schmutz
- Firmware won't be updated
- Could get stolen

I wonder if it's possible for Tesla to see who's using a specific adapter. Each adapter have its own serial number. So if I would report an adapter as stolen, they could possibly find out that the adapter is being used by which car. Even if they can do this, there's not much the customer can do due to privacy. It's highly unlikely they will give any information for such a small crime. It has to be serious crime before they can hand out information. And even so, it must be directly to the police and not the owner.

I think what Bjorn is doing is fantastic!

I think he definitely has the right idea that there are pros and cons to both models.

The model I suggested was just something that I thought Tesla could do. Bjorn, unlike Tesla, has the ability to involve other owners, so he has more flexibility to come up with a system that can take the best of both worlds, so to speak.

Bjorn--one suggestion I'd make would be to somehow let those people borrowing from the owners know that there is a fund that they can donate to that will be used solely for your project. Funds donated might be used to purchase more adapters, to purchase cabling systems or lock boxes for adapters, etc., etc. You could have a webpage or something that shows the status of the fund at all times, so people would see their donation made, if they wanted to track it, as well as the current balance in the fund, and what the fund was used for, once money starts going out. (Donations could be made anonymously, of course, but people would still be able to identify their own donation by date and amount.)

I make this suggestion because I think what you are doing is really helping the Tesla owners in your part of the world, and I expect some of them would be willing to give a little back, to help you help even more of them.

Good luck with the project!

I recommend collecting usage stats during the trial. My guess is the adapter will be used much more if it is near a charger. Also it might be a good idea to arrange the specific website where this is going to be advertised before the adapters are sent out. This would clarify how this is going to work.

If the idea is to lend adapters for 1-3 weeks to people who go on a Europe tour, it could be a good idea to use businesses that have a natural flow of Model S owners instead individuals. The locker idea is also a good suggestion. If holders are individuals, you would need advertising to make people aware this exists. However if this is a business selling Tesla accessories, chargers, solar or other things to Model S owners, they would have a natural flow of Model S customers. Individuals might be busy, in another city or on holiday. With businesses, this is not an issue. Another advantage with businesses is, you can send them many adapters especially if they are in a big city. This wouldn't make sense with individuals because when the holder is away all adapters would be unavailable.

I'm happy that Bjorn has reconsidered and thinking of doing a 50/50% split instead 90/10%. It would be great if this turned into a larger campaign. That's why I invited Bjorn to this topic.

Last edited:
Edit: This entire post was in response to the post above, which originally was a fairly harsh criticism of some aspects of what Bjorn is doing. To his credit, Troy agreed with some of the points I made, edited his post, and wrote me privately to ask me to edit mine, which I am doing. (I'm leaving a bit of Troy's quote, just to indicate that I had originally quoted it.)

I am leaving parts of my post as they were because some parts of it are just generally applicable, and editing too much of it would leave things making no sense at all.

Thanks for the change of heart, Troy!

I recommend...

As much as I appreciate your support for my idea (which was an idea for Tesla--an individual could implement something similar in a different way since they'd have more flexibility, as Bjorn is doing), I think you're being somewhat overly critical of what Bjorn is trying to do. (Edit--Not any longer.)

Please keep in mind that he doesn't have to do anything, and is doing this for the good of the Norwegian Tesla owners. (Edit--A couple of sentences deleted as they applied only to things Troy has now deleted.) He's just trying some things, to see what will work. Please give him the credit he deserves for being a smart guy and being able to figure out what's working, what isn't, and then make the appropriate changes to improve the program over time.

But in my opinion, if we, as a group, are overly critical of someone trying to do something this good, people will just stop doing things like this. I mean, who wants to be faced with that kind of criticism when they've just spent a bunch of their own money, and are also going to be spending a bunch of time on something. The expression, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" seems apropos here.

Last edited:
My guess is the adapter will be used much more if it is near a charger.

I think that statement is illogical.

Hmm, it seems most of you are siding with the “adapters at businesses” perspective. I fall solidly on the other side and think that “adapters with Tesla cars” is the much more sensible option. I haven’t seen this factor listed in the pro and con lists, and it seems like the single most important factor of all. When someone takes a trip, they will be going to various places, cities, etc. Some of those places may have adapters, and some may not, so the Tesla driver would only be able to use the CHAdeMO stations that have adapters, and for the ones that don’t…too bad, you’re out of luck. It makes the most sense that the person on the trip needs to have the adapter WITH THEM in the car so that wherever they go, they can use it at every CHAdeMO station. Think about it. It’s a one-way condition. A CHAdeMO station works with other cars, so the adapter would just be there not getting used when other types of cars are using it, and there is no Tesla there. It’s only needed when a Tesla is present, so shouldn’t the adapter be with the Tesla car?

One thing we can all agree on, is: this is truly a unique point in EV history.
I feel that in the near future, businesses will be putting lots of brainpower to work (their own brainpower, and expensive marketing consultants' brainpower, for larger businesses) to figure out how they can attract "Tesla drivers" to their establishment. Right now, we do not yet have the visibility that will eventually come to our "demographic" (not that we're easily labeled).
Even the concept of "Free Wi-Fi as an inducement to bring in business" hasn't caught on 100%, but we see a lot more of it than two or three years ago.

I donated an adapter (from my first referral) to a very suitable location; they fit the profile of "Free" and "Public" and "In a gap Between two Superchargers" and very importantly, "Willing to host an adapter" - so that choice was very easy (the sole drawback is they are not open 24/7 - more like 18/7). Comes time to choose a second host location, and it is not nearly as easy. Looking at a public (about to open) CHAdeMO in Virginia, and a station in a gap north of MPLS Minnesota, and there hasn't been responsive input from TMC locals when I have popped into their local discussions and asked.

For now, 10% at fixed locations might actually be about right, as the right combination of attributes is turning out to be unexpectedly rare. It's harder than I imagined, to give these away! :confused:

To Bjørn and my fellow trailblazers in this exciting crowdsourced-charging-access concept, be assured that most folks are seeing your efforts and applauding strongly. Even the critics do mean well, I am sure of that, and are trying to help fine-tune the situation to everyone's benefit.

Again, very interesting times, y'all. Enjoy them!

Rick

The adapter has a firmware. This firmware must be updated at the service center from time to time... If the business holds on to it, the adapter will most likely never be updated. Whereas a Model S owner will easily be able to update it. The 90/10 split was just an estimation. We don't know yet which one will work best. Maybe it will be 50/50 if the response from the business are good.

I believe this assumption is incorrect. It is the vehicle that updates the firmware on the adaptor, therefore, with every use is an opportunity to update the firmware. The only way it wouldn't be updated is if the adaptor is riding around in the boot/frunk of somebody's car, and not being used.

However, I want to involve 24/7 business only. From my own experience, people need charging at any time of the day/night. Having to plan or rush to get to a charger before the business closes is a serious disadvantage. Being able to refuel at any time is as important as being able to charge at any time.

Exactly. The entire issue is moot with a lock box at the charger. It will be available 24/7.

I will write a policy for lenders and borrowers. The borrower should estimate how long the adapter is needed. If there is a change in plans, let the lender know. There could also be a 1 week free loan and then some fee for every day over.

For somebody going on a long journey (perhaps out of Norway), it makes sense to have the driver physically have the adaptor in the car. But, I would recommend a common distribution point for those services, since these will likely have some advanced notice. Just ship it to the person, or to a common pick up location (FedEx, for instance, can hold the package at their office, and they are usually open late or 24/7). Using the model of individual drivers who would hand these out is just fraught with issues.

So, there are indeed two models:

1) Every CHAdeMO in Norway with a lockbox / or viable nearby 24/7 receptionist who can hold the adaptor

2) CHAdeMO adaptor for journeys / holiday / vacations, where the adaptor would be mailed and carried with the driver for days / weeks at a time (I would charge some rent for this)

So the best solution for the charging customer would be to have the adapter locked to the charging station.
Pros:
- Fast and easy to use
- No need to deposit anything (but it could be locked with a code that changes, and can be automatically provided through text or email)
- Available 24/7

Cons:
- Susceptible to vandalism, weather and schmutz (I think that this is the number one reason to remain locked in a box)
- Firmware won't be updated (I don't believe this to be true)
- Could get stolen (this is a possibility in any situation, some just less than others)

- - - Updated - - -

I think that statement is illogical.

Hmm, it seems most of you are siding with the “adapters at businesses” perspective. I fall solidly on the other side and think that “adapters with Tesla cars” is the much more sensible option... so shouldn’t the adapter be with the Tesla car?

Not a very nice way to approach this... if you feel that the adaptor is so important to carry in your car, then by all means, please do! For local impromptu use, the adaptor at the station makes the most sense. For journeys, renting or buying the adaptor for the trip makes the most sense.

I'd suggest that adaptors at businesses will often be not working, missing (not necessarily stolen, but the staff may not know where they are or not have the keys), advertised but not actually there. I wouldn't count on them for a trip. Having the adaptor with the car makes more sense.

What if the adapters were donated to a charity and the charity would make a small profit renting them? Ideally this charity should have an online store where they can accept payments and ship the item.

Borrowing adapters for long trips is not a bad idea in itself but it is bad if the adapters are kept by individuals. People wouldn't know something like that exists. Even if they knew, they wouldn't know about availability. Somebody else might have borrowed it. You would have to call a bunch of random people one by one just to find out about availability. Then you have to arrange a meeting to collect the item and another meeting to return it. Most people doing long trips wouldn't bother. They would just buy an adapter.

Update:
There is this website providing Chademo adapter rentals. A charity version of this with much lower prices ($10 or €10 per week) would be a good idea to cover the long trip usage.

Jo3tLdG.jpg

Last edited:
What if the adapters were donated to a charity and the charity would make a small profit renting them? Ideally this charity should have an online store where they can accept payments and ship the item.

Have you seen a Chademo adapter? Those things are very big and heavy. Shipping costs would kill it. Also, there was some site that tried to do this, but I'm not paying $150 to rent a Chademo when I could buy it for 3x as much.