TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla showroom coming to Sarasota.

Discussion in 'Florida' started by gfountain1, Jun 17, 2014.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#2 NigelM, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Tesla-Motors-to-have-showroom-in-Mall-at-University-Town-Center

Seeing Model Ss around Sarasota is no longer unusual; this is turning out to be a fruitful area for Tesla. Also good for David H who already lives here, I would guess he's going to be store manager - great guy.

2. gfountain1

gfountain1 Member

Seconded, David would make a great SM.

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Yes, I am hoping that after Tesla gets the zoning that this will resolve the sales zoning issues associated with the Tampa Service Center location.

Presumably the suspended sales and test drive functions will be moved from Tampa to Sarasota.

I think that down the road that this location would be perfect for a Supercharger station. At a recent to the County Commissioners the Manager of Sustainability reported that 16 charging stations were going in at the new mall. Unfortunately, we don't know what type.

Larry

4. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Sales and test drives have been restored to Tampa.

5. Madartist

Madartist Member

That's excellent news! Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the new store opening this fall.

6. Larry Chanin

Hi Klaus,

Great! Thanks for the information.

Larry

7. gfountain1

gfountain1 Member

It might be cool to organize some sort of meet up for opening day for locals and those wanting to travel.

8. Larry Chanin

Hi Garrett,

Yes, if Tesla has their typical Grand Opening ceremony and if they provide us with adequate advance notice, I will make sure we have a meet-up. There shouldn't be a problem with finding a suitable restaurant at University Town Center.

Larry

9. mwoz

mwoz Member

There seems to be a lot of action with Lake City, Ocala and Tampa either confirmed or under construction. I stopped by the Tampa site this afternoon and the traffic was horrible (as usual). IMHO this site will be unusable from Thanksgiving through Christmas except when the mall and shops are closed. Any word on if the Town Center Mall will get superchargers? It would be nice to have another option and hopefully the mall will be able to accommodate the traffic:wink:

10. Larry Chanin

#11 Larry Chanin, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Welcome to the forums.

I wrote to the County Commissioners suggesting that in the future this would be an excellent location for a Supercharger Station. One of the Commissioners said she would forward my suggestion to the Bendersons (the developer of the mall).

However, in the short-term this mall will only be 45 miles from the Tampa Supercharger Station so I wouldn't expect to see this option pursued until there is more congestion on nearby Superchargers.

Larry

11. Larry Chanin

I have received notice from Tesla that they can confirm that "we will be opening at UTC Sarasota this year".

UTC = University Town Center mall.

Larry

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Someone from the press told me today that there would be 4 Tesla HPWC's at the mall and 6 or 8 J1772 chargers. Apparently they picked up the info in an advance media OP before the mall opens. Things like this have been known to get twisted out of proportion but it sounds like it could be true.

13. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Nigel
    I have read in some recent news articles that the mall developers actually put in infrastructure to expand on the charging stations if there is demand. Initial reports claimed they planned 16 level two stations.

From the September 12 Bradenton Herald:

"Electric car charging is a key feature mall officials are looking to perfect, providing the right type of charger as well as constructing ones that won't corrode in Florida's weather, he said.

The parking lot is also being pre-wired in case more electric car charging stations are needed in the future.

"It's not really cost-effective to do it after the fact," Ortiz said. "We're actually doing underground utility, so if we need additional in the future, it won't be a major impact for us to do those things."

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2013/09/12/4713040_mall-at-university-town-center.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy"

From March 13 Herald -Tribune:

"The property will have 16 electric car charging stations. A central skylight and open window rooftop will allow Florida's abundant sunlight to illuminate the inside of the mall. A regular shuttle service will bus shoppers from the mall to existing retail plazas owned and built by Manatee County-based Benderson Development along the University Parkway and Cattlemen Road corridor."

14. Larry Chanin

Hi Nigel,

When the Suncoast EV Colaborative and the Manager of Sustainability reported to the County Commissioners a few months ago, the manager reported that there would be 16 chargers at University Town Center. She didn't state what type.

With the Tesla store being confirmed to me by Tesla it would be unusual if there weren't HPWC being installed to support its operations.

Larry

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

OK, that seems definite then. Whether it's 16 stations or a different number I think it's a good move (although living 10 mins from the mall I doubt I'll ever use them personally).

16. Madartist

Madartist Member

16 are the most chargers I've heard at any location. If true, bravo to the mall developers for being so progressive. Certainly gives us 16 reasons to come visit.

17. Larry Chanin

Hi Steve,

Haven't you heard?

We're very progressive here in Sarasota. :wink:

Larry

18. joer00

joer00 Member

HAHA, so the Sarasota term from "Progressive" is 20 KW at best. We in Tampa call progressive 120 KW !

19. Madartist

Madartist Member

I wouldn't argue with that. If it wasn't for the Tesla superchargers, there would be very few charging options in Fort Myers.