Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Showroom Opening Sept 9th in Santa Fe County, NM !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon must like me! I ordered a Plaid on the 19th and today (the 24th) I got a VIN and new EDD which is 2-3 weeks from now. BTW, the 10th digit is a "N", which makes it a 2022 model. Now if I can just get my destination changed to Santa Fe instead of Colorado Springs.......... I have a call into my SA to see what she can do.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to all on here.

Reactions: SageBrush
Elon must like me! I ordered a Plaid on the 19th and today (the 24th) I got a VIN and new EDD which is 2-3 weeks from now. BTW, the 10th digit is a "N", which makes it a 2022 model. Now if I can just get my destination changed to Santa Fe instead of Colorado Springs.......... I have a call into my SA to see what she can do.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to all on here.
No surprise there…. The margin on the Plaid versions is huge!….

Dang @Vettepartz!!! How cool is that?
I would guess that is too fast in the scheduling system to move to NM (without affecting delivery date) but good luck sir!

My delivery is still months away and also set for CS instead of Nambe like I am hoping for. I'm not going to sweat the detail though. Worse case, I'll fly up to Denver on a cheap flight and take a bus to CS.

There is also a greyhound from Abq to CS each Monday for $50. Might work depending on how late the Tesla CS location works since the bus arrives at 16:40 so figure 17:00 at Tesla

--
Call it the honeymoon drive.

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS!

Just got a call from Octavia at the Colorado Springs store. She informed me that the Nambe location is not delivering anymore cars until further notice. I’m assuming some regulatory junk or training issue came to light after a few deliveries at Nambe last week. At any rate, this guy is happy because they are going to put the car down in my driveway at no charge. Doing the happy dance!

Oh, Still no VIN!

Last edited:
Holy Crap!!! If that is true about the 7% tax for Nambe delivery, that would be an additional $9500 on the Plaid that I ordered. That makes the Colorado Springs delivery look MUCH better. Going through Tesla, they charge $750 to have the auto trucked from CS to Abq. I did that on my Model Y and it worked out just fine.

Well, that little tid bit was not shared with me when the moved my delivery from Colorado Springs to Nambe, nor when it was moved from Nambe to home delivery at Teslas request and at no charge to me. An additional 3% tax would have been a very unwelcome surprise for sure. I probably would have refused the car.

That being said, I‘m wondering if I’ll ever see a car anyhow. Since my delivery was moved to home delivery my delivery date has diappeared and has read TBD for the last 5 days. I’ve tried contacting my SA a few times through various communication avenues…. Nothing but crickets. I’m cool being pushed to January but FTLOG communicate. It’s not hard and it makes customers happy even when it’s bad news…. Okay, off my rant!

Thanks for the info Sagebrush….

An additional 3% tax would have been a very unwelcome surprise for sure.

Yup. If I'm reading between the lines correctly (that is a BIG if), Tesla shut down the Nambe deliveries due to the local demand for tax money. You were offered free delivery to compensate for the change in plans and confusion. I don't expect Tesla to be so generous with others, although Tesla could decide to only charge customers the delivery charge from Nambe to their home. That would be pretty cool of them.

Luckily we have choices if the Nambe money grab turns out to be true: either collecting the car in Colorado, or having it shipped to home for somewhere between $0 - $750, depending on Tesla. I'm just really glad that the Nambe location exists for service and test drives. Delivery is the least of my concerns.

Last edited:
Yup. If I'm reading between the lines correctly (that is a BIG if), Tesla shut down the Nambe deliveries due to the local demand for tax money. You were offered free delivery to compensate for the change in plans and confusion. I don't expect Tesla to be so generous with others, although Tesla could decide to only charge customers the delivery charge from Nambe to their home. That would be pretty cool of them.

Luckily we have choices if the Nambe money grab turns out to be true: either collecting the car in Colorado, or having it shipped to home for somewhere between $0 - $750, depending on Tesla. I'm just really glad that the Nambe location exists for service and test drives. Delivery is the least of my concerns.
So who missed that detail in the due diligence review before Tesla set up shop…. I hope they sort it because I think this is a great opportunity for the Pueblo. I hope they aren’t too short sighted. I don’t know the ins and outs of their finances but I gotta believe 4% on the sale of a 60k car is better than 0%.

So will we still pay the standard rate of sales tax for services or will there be an adder there as well? Anyone got intel on the tax rate being charged at Nambe for service?

I gotta believe 4% on the sale of a 60k car is better than 0%.
IF I am understanding correctly, 4% is collected for the state in any case as excise tax. So a 7% tax collection would be 4% to the state and 3% to Nambe. There are lots of examples in different states of people paying extra car taxes specific to where they live. When I lived in Colorado, I remember paying 3% less than people who lived in Denver.

So even if the Nambe extra charge turns out to be true, we are fortunate in being able to choose whether to pay it or to choose a different delivery that is less expensive, if perhaps less convenient.

Last edited:
A local guy in NM named Brian Dear posted this on Facebook:

NAMBE DELIVERIES UPDATE:

I had a call yesterday with Tesla on the Nambe situation.
Here are the facts:
  1. Nambe Pueblo and Tesla are attempting to iron out some contractual misunderstandings that apparently led to the tribe believing they could charge a tax on deliveries. This apparently just came up as a recent, sudden issue, to the complete surprise of customers and I guess the staff at Tesla's Nambe facility.
  2. Tesla has had a team working the issue with calls and meetings and whatnot since last week, and it continued over this past weekend, and is ongoing this week.
  3. Discussions are continuing between the parties but the bottom line is, they haven't reached a resolution yet.
  4. This means that ALL DELIVERIES AT NAMBE ARE SUSPENDED until further notice, as Tesla doesn't want customers to be hit with a 7% delivery tax.
  5. Tesla told me that they are personally reaching out to every NM customer who has a car on order -- everyone should have been contacted who had deliveries this week. The alternate arrangements are either customer picks up at Colorado Springs, or Tesla has a truck deliver to customer's location in NM (for a fee).
  6. This suspension may take days or weeks--it is not clear how long before things are ironed out.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
So who missed that detail in the due diligence review before Tesla set up shop

Perhaps nobody. The local tribes have learned to be good little Ferenghis, and they layer on top 'native rights' as they see them. What you and I would label extortion and breach of contract, they might see as justifiable business practice. The contract has no where near the power and leverage you might presume, in part because legal disputes are handled by tribal courts, and in part because local politics are such that native rights trump contractual rights.

I suspect (my jaded opinion only) that Tesla has very little room to legally fight this and the political fight is already lost, so it will become a question of negotiated payoff. Moreover, anybody who thinks this is the last time the pueblo will demand more money is naive. For now, the pueblo has a quasi-monopoly position. The only long term answer will be competition. The short term answer for aspiring Tesla owners is to take delivery elsewhere if the Nambe fee is not to their liking. -- whatever that turns out to be after Tesla comes to an 'agreement.'

The worse possible outcome would be if this dispute escalates and the pueblo shuts Tesla down in retaliation. Unfortunately, my take on all this is that Nambe has that option, 'legally' or otherwise. Due to pervasive corruption in the tribes (even worse than NM at large, and that is saying something), one should not expect that any long term considerations carry the day. That is not how it works.

Last edited:
In these times, it seems unfortunate that this has crept up (quickly) to already taint the experience.

If you recall, we were just commenting during the grand opening period about how this was assumed (at least on my end) being a service center/showroom location only and then the news that deliveries were taking place...I have to believe this piece of additional tax was being discussed then and "someone" jumped the gun" before plans were solidified.

As stated above, there are lots of complexities and additional rules when it comes to national brands on sovereign land. I recall some friends filling me in on some of those with the Starbucks on 12th street (across from Pueblo Cultural Center).

Regardless, hard to imagine these requests/understandings were not called out at inception. Still we have a (pretty) local service center and I hope the powers that be can clear up this tax conundrum soon.

Jack, I would think its better to have a general statement out there in the wild stating "for a fee" when it coems to home dropoff vs stating its free for now until this gets sorted out. Enjoy your comp'd delivery man, thats a great perk for your delays :)

Not hard at all
I get it.

I dont know the story for those who were expected to (or did) pay this but my comment was based on having assumed the paperwork (online documents) was already calling out what the costs were before the customer arrived, so if it was in Tesla's system as 7%, that would have enforced the earlier comment that is was previously baked in.

Maybe these folks went to pay and then there was an additional "umm, we need another check filled out to Nambe Pueblo for 3% as well". That would have definitely sucked.

I want to be clear about one thing. I’m not beating up on the Pueblo or Tesla. Sometimes when contracts are negotiated language can be misunderstood or expectations aren’t fully articulated. I don’t want to come across as saying anyone is corrupt or working in bad faith when it comes to the issues at Nambe. I have no experience working with this Pueblo or any other native government or business. I am going to enjoy my freebie for sure. Looking like sometime around the 14th. Still sorting some details with the Colorado Springs delivery team.