Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Showroom Opening Sept 9th in Santa Fe County, NM !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a text about delivery and they're offering free home delivery since they can't deliver at Nambe yet. The timing they gave me would put the car here while I'm out of town for the holidays though. So looks like I get to make a trip to Colorado Springs. Now I just need to hope there's not a big snow storm when I'm doing the drive lol.

New guy here... got my VIN yesterday. Had been pushing on my SA to get delivery in Santa Fe, but as everyone has pointed out here, it's a no go right now. I was offered home delivery for $750 --- not free --- but then my delivery has always been set for CS.

No new info, just confirmation of what's already been posted.

Reactions: SageBrush
Mine originally showed the $750 charge for delivery. When the CS store contacted me they said they would do free home delivery. Unfortunately it was going to be 7 - 10 days after the car got to CS to get it delivered and I won't be in town then.

Mine originally showed the $750 charge for delivery. When the CS store contacted me they said they would do free home delivery. Unfortunately it was going to be 7 - 10 days after the car got to CS to get it delivered and I won't be in town then.
Yep… I’ll be waiting a a few extra days to get the car delivered to home but It’s fine by me. I’ve been back and forth to Colorado like 10 times in the last 6 months so I’m tired of the drive.

Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll offer me free delivery, too! Although I wouldn't mind driving it home, give a shake down cruise, see how it does over Raton Pass in December...

Be very careful with the summer tyres Tesla puts on new cars. They are a safety hazard on slick roads
Yep. As soon as I burn the factory tires off I’m going with the Michelin Pilot AS4. Decent all around tire. I’ve driven Michelins since I could afford them. I’ve never been one to have two sets of tires even when we lived in Jackson Wyoming for 8 years where the snow is deep and the plows are few. I learned to drive in Wisconsin so snow and I are long time friends. Not as big a deal being in SFNM and being retired. Don’t have to go out if I don’t want to.

As soon as I burn the factory tires off I’m going with the Michelin Pilot AS4. Decent all around tire.

I refuse to use the OEM in winter -- full stop. I learned the hard way with my first Tesla in Colorado. I came within inches of driving under a semi-truck with my wife in the car. The experience was a bit odd: the car would not stop in time but I was able to veer off the road.

If my car is delivered to Colorado in the winter, I am going to swap tyres before I drive home. Hopefully I'll be able to sell the OEM summer tyres, but that is a secondary concern to basic safety. Like you, we get to choose when to travel. And winter in the Albuquerque foothills, while cold, does not have a lot of snow.

So I'm going to gamble a bit and put on 3MP rated all-weathers if I can find them. That is actually one of the reasons I hope my delivery is delayed to at least the spring, I'm hoping that the all-weather selection improves by next winter. And if not, I'll do the winter/summer tyre dance for a couple of seasons. This Vredestein Quatrac Pro is the only 3MP all-weather choice I know of at the moment for the OEM 19" wheels.

Last edited:
I refuse to use the OEM in winter -- full stop. I learned the hard way with my first Tesla in Colorado. I came within inches of driving under a semi-truck with my wife in the car. The experience was a bit odd: the car would not stop in time but I was able to veer off the road.

If my car is delivered to Colorado in the winter, I am going to swap tyres before I drive home. Hopefully I'll be able to sell the OEM summer tyres, but that is a secondary concern to basic safety. Like you, we get to choose when to travel. And winter in the Albuquerque foothills, while cold, does not have a lot of snow.

So I'm going to gamble a bit and put on 3MP rated all-weathers if I can find them. That is actually one of the reasons I hope my delivery is delayed to at least the spring, I'm hoping that the all-weather selection improves by next winter. And if not, I'll do the winter/summer tyre dance for a couple of seasons. This Vredestein Quatrac Pro is the only 3MP all-weather choice I know of at the moment for the OEM 19" wheels.
Nothing scarier than heading towards an intersection, applying the breaks and actually picking up speed in response. I hear ya for sure. Even worse if its a semi. The Pilot AS4 is available in 20’s which is what is coming on my car. They are the best rated all season currently available for Tesla model Y. Have not looked if they are available for the 19’s.

Nothing scarier than heading towards an intersection, applying the breaks and actually picking up speed in response.

Yeah .. that sounds bad. Our brush with death happened on the highway leaving Bloomfield for Bernalillo. Just outside the town a Semi pulled on to the highway from a fuel station. The truck driver was an idiot since even in the summer I would have had to brake aggressively to avoid running into him. As it was, full on brakes slowed me down but no where near enough to avoid collision. As I wrote earlier, luck was with us that day since the Tesla was willing to take a controlled steering on to the shoulder. It was waaay too close for comfort.

'all season' is catch all phrase that means just about nothing. This is why I write all-weather with 3MP. The 'all-weather' designation is also marketing speak, but the 3MP is a performance rating.
Yep…. I run 3MP rated tires on my tundra (the little snow flake on the sidewall) year round or at least I did in the past. I use E load rated 10 ply tires because I pull a large RV. When I burn those off I’ll be back to Michelin all season 10 ply since I don’t live in the Great White North any more. That may be a while since the tundra mostly sits in the garage these days. 1700 miles last year and that will probably less this year.

I’ve never found that I’ve needed anything beyond regular all season unless I’m pushing back roads that have never seen a plow. The Goodyears I have on have punched that truck through 3 feet of powder getting into elk country in WY with no issues whatsoever. Michelin don’t make a similar tire so I went with the Goodyears. They have been a good tire and I’m happy with the wear characteristics. They do kill mileage on an already gas guzzling truck and they are noisy on the highway. I could get close to 19 highway running empty with the all season Michelin tires but I can’t get better than 14 with the M/S Goodyears. The big Toyota v8 is notorious for piss poor mileage but it will pull out a tree stump like nobody’s business. And to top it off my 2008 has a 26 gallon tank. Pulling the RV I’m closer to 7 or 8 mpg. Talk about range anxiety. I carry 12 gallons of extra fuel anytime I pull the RV and I’ve had to us it before.

It will be interesting to see what you get for range degradation when you switch up to “real” snow tires. I’ll certainly be tracking the difference between factory and the Pilots when I switch.

Yeah .. that sounds bad. Our brush with death happened on the highway leaving Bloomfield for Bernalillo. Just outside the town a Semi pulled on to the highway from a fuel station. The truck driver was an idiot since even in the summer I would have had to brake aggressively to avoid running into him. As it was, full on brakes slowed me down but no where near enough to avoid collision. As I wrote earlier, luck was with us that day since the Tesla was willing to take a controlled steering on to the shoulder. It was waaay too close for comfort.
I find most truckers are dicks from a road etiquette perspective…. Sorry to any of you that haul but most of you scare the crap out of me on any given day.

Reactions: SageBrush
Yep…. I run 3MP rated tires on my tundra (the little snow flake on the sidewall) year round or at least I did in the past.

I'm not positive, but I think two winter tyre designations exist: snow rated, and severe (snow) conditions. Each uses the same symbol of a snowflake and 3 mountain peaks, but they vary greatly in their winter performance. You probably have the real McCoy, while I am talking about something that started out as an 'all-season' that was upgraded to handle mild snow conditions. These mild-winter tyres are the ones that often get the marketing label 'all-weather,' but of course some tyres are called 'all-weather' but are not snow rated.

The truly tricky part of picking out good all-weathers is that some manufacturers meet the snow spec when the tyre is new, but the winter performance does not last much past 2-3 mm of wear. Until the rating agency requires a minimum wear spec to pass the snow tests, consumers are flying blind except for what others say. The Toyo all-weathers have been reported to fall in this category of 'only when new.'

Reactions: SFNM Jack