Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Shows Off Updated Semi in New Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla demonstrated in a new video that an all-electric big rig can produce impressive performance. 

The video shows the upcoming Tesla Semi zooming around a test track. The Semi is capable of going 0-60 in 5 seconds without a trailer and within 20 seconds loaded with 80,000 pounds. Tesla watchers have reported that Tesla intends to use its homegrown higher density battery packs for the project. 

The prototype used in the video featured a white exterior and tweaks to the body like new doors and windows. 

While the Tesla Semi has been delayed, Tesla is reportedly ramping up efforts on the project with a hopes to start early production by summer 2021.

Tesla is expected to build the Semi’s battery and powertrain in Nevada, while the rest of the Semi build will take place at the company’s upcoming Giga Texas in Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two facts that seem to be lacking in all the reports on the Tesla semi:

1. What is the with of the truck (the cab or tractor) and

2. How much can the truck haul (which is a factor of question 1.

I highly doubt the semi was shown being tested with a load of 80,000 pounds since the Federal interstate weight with limit is 80,000 pounds and this leaves no room for the weight of the truck. A typical Class 8 diesel tractor/trailer combo weighs around 33,000 pounds empty, leaving about 47,000 pounds for payload.

How much will the Tesla class 8 tractor weigh? It's very difficult to assess the true commercial potential of this truck without knowing what it weighs, unladed.

Two facts that seem to be lacking in all the reports on the Tesla semi:

1. What is the with of the truck (the cab or tractor) and

2. How much can the truck haul (which is a factor of question 1.

I highly doubt the semi was shown being tested with a load of 80,000 pounds since the Federal interstate weight with limit is 80,000 pounds and this leaves no room for the weight of the truck. A typical Class 8 diesel tractor/trailer combo weighs around 33,000 pounds empty, leaving about 47,000 pounds for payload.

How much will the Tesla class 8 tractor weigh? It's very difficult to assess the true commercial potential of this truck without knowing what it weighs, unladed.
The answer is there with some math. Based on the information provided:
80000lbs (I'm sure it is combined weight as you eluded to) and reaches 60 in 20 seconds. This requires 1200 hp to achieve. (0-60 mph Calculator for Cars | Calculate Estimated 0-60 Times)
Given that it reaches 0-60 in 5 seconds unloaded/cab only would indicate it weighs @ 12500 lbs by itself. (0-60 mph Calculator for Cars | Calculate Estimated 0-60 Times)

Based on standard 53' trailer weight @ 13500 lbs (https://cerasis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015TrailerGuide.pdf) that leaves @54000 lbs on the table for payload.

So equal to or greater then the average class 8 diesel payload of 45000 lbs. All super rough math but enough to realize it is commercially viable.

Last edited:
I'm also expecting that the capability and response of the electric drivetrain and control systems are going to allow the semi itself to be much less likely to suffer wheel lockup, etc... and regen should help with brake fade issues for downhill grades.

I'm unsure if the motors allow for separate drive of the L/R axle hubs (as apparently is the case with the Roadster and Cybertruck), but if so, I can see some intelligent torque-vectoring/anti-jack-knifing control there also. (Do I recall some mention of that in the presentation?).

It would be nice if something could be done regarding trailer air brakes, but that's going to be a harder nut to crack.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard