Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla shows prototype of metal charging cable snake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool, but I would prefer they focus on more important staff than just toys . How about release the autopilot? I sure hope this is something they do on their spare time.

I think there is a pretty good chance that different groups address different aspects of the vehicle - I certainly know I could work on the software, but no one in their right mind would want me working on the power delivery aspects :scared:

Yeah, none of you are selling me on any reason this is necessary. I'm not trying to be contrarian, but this smells like a Wall-E future.

Insane mode isn't necessary but boy it helped sell cars.

However, there is great potential in having self-park and self-plug. Not just for lazy wealthy people, but because it eliminates time hanging around the car in the case of contention. Part of the reason why Supercharging can work even with charge durations of 20 to 60 minutes is that it's unattended, giving people an opportunity to do something else while the car charges. But when there's contention and people have to wait for a spot, that wait is currently dead time.

And also think about parking garages. Wouldn't you love to drop off your car at the entrance and have it plug itself in, then return and have it meet you at the exit? Wouldn't it be nice if it could be charged in the meantime at a decent rate?

Be grateful to the lazy rich early adopters who'll help pay for this development. :)

Last edited:
Here's the scenario for this automated charging device:

Pull up in front of your house. Get out and walk inside. The car goes and parks itself in the garage and plugs itself in. The next morning; the car unplugs itself and drives around front; waiting there at the front door.

Now imagine an apartment or parking garage; same deal.

Here's the scenario for this automated charging device:

Pull up in front of your house. Get out and walk inside. The car goes and parks itself in the garage and plugs itself in. The next morning; the car unplugs itself and drives around front; waiting there at the front door.

Now imagine an apartment or parking garage; same deal.

The car will great me at the door of my 9th floor apartment?

Yeah, none of you are selling me on any reason this is necessary. I'm not trying to be contrarian, but this smells like a Wall-E future.

Said every person throughout history who didn't like change.

"Do we really NEED cellphones? It's really not that hard to use a land line"
"Do we really NEED iTunes, it's really not that hard to go and buy a CD"
"Do we really NEED smart phones? We have laptops..."
"Do we really NEED a car? Get your lazy ass up and WALK to the corner store"
"What would an ordinary person do with a computer?" - some middle manager at HP to Steve Wozniak

With that attitude we would have none of the awesome technologies we take for granted. No matter how small the pain point, it's solution is an important step in the path of technological progress.

Yes, every pain point that can be addressed should and will be eventually. Props to Tesla for being pioneers. This would be worth it strictly from a Marketing perspective for Tesla, not to mention it gets rid of a pain point with electric vehicles. If you charge at home you have to remember to plug in every couple days.. wouldn't it be great if you didn't even have to THINK about it? Sign me up.

Reminds me of something ...

Doctor_Octopus_9628.jpg