Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla shows prototype of metal charging cable snake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple this with AutoPark and Unattended SuperCharging congestion disappears!

Yup. We've actually had discussion on that in a couple threads over the last several months, "valet" Supercharging.

Honestly, I was expecting Tesla to end up with something not far from the small industrial robot based solution VW demonstrated recently, despite Elon's "Metal Snake" comments at the unveiling - I would have assumed that a typical Kuka or similar robot would require only minor modifications to do the job well, and be a lot cheaper. This is very much the suggested metal snake. :)

I was saying that I thought Tesla would have a demo valet site in a couple years. With this demo, I'm thinking it might be a lot sooner than that. If they have autopark all sorted out, and this ready for deployment, all they need is a suitable location to build it and some minor bits of control code.
Walter

I wonder if the gas station attendant lobby, "cough New Jersey" will try and block this technology lol :wink:

This technology is beyond amazing and further secures Tesla's advantage over all other Automobile Manufacturers. The charging technology being deployed by BMW, Nissan, and Mercedes today is basically an antique compared to what Tesla has today.

Automatic parking and charging is a very big deal. Who likes spending an hit searching for a parking space? Who likes having to search for a parking space? Also, self parking and the absolute to "summon" your vehicle will save people tons of time. Imagine never having to walk 2-3 miles to your destination due to a lack of parking spaces. This will
be very helpful in large cities.

Also, this is the next level of robitic multi level parking garages.

Last edited:
Robotic arm prototype (video)

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but Tesla posted this on its FB page this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/teslamotors/videos/10153491229892801/

11729869_10153491230737801_1519015847_n-750x422.jpg

I'm all for science and technology, but really? Because plugging in by hand was a problem that needed fixing?

When there are many, many more Tesla vehicles on the road, it'll be quite handy at Superchargers for cars to detach themself when charged and move out of the stall automatically, rather than let the family finish eating dinner and arrive 30 minutes after charge completion.

Also even more handy if there happens to be a line at a Supercharger. You can still head out and take a break while your car puts itself in the next available stall.