Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla shows prototype of metal charging cable snake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who posit that this is a waste of effort, you completely miss the point. Monitoring this forum is a waste of all of our collective effort, but we do it anyway. Hopefully we learn something, but we're not going to learn nearly as much as the group that was in charge of robo-charger. A business that has an experimental arm (no pun intended!) has a fighting chance of finding new, interesting things. I'm hugely supportive of the sort of environment that encourages people to work on this kind of project. Heck, I'd do it for free.

For those who posit that this is a waste of effort, you completely miss the point. Monitoring this forum is a waste of all of our collective effort, but we do it anyway. Hopefully we learn something, but we're not going to learn nearly as much as the group that was in charge of robo-charger. A business that has an experimental arm (no pun intended!) has a fighting chance of finding new, interesting things. I'm hugely supportive of the sort of environment that encourages people to work on this kind of project. Heck, I'd do it for free.

Agreed. This is why Tesla is an amazing company. If they didn't innovate and just kept to the status-quo, they would not be where they are today and their future would look far less exciting.

Is this really the cheapest and most reliable way of doing automatic plugging?
There is how much, 30? Mechanical actuators that all have to work for it to work.
Do anyone really think this will cost under 50.000 when in 'serial' production? And be reliable?

Sorry, but this is terrible waste of money, brain and time.
There are numerous other much cheaper and much more reliable ways of doing automatic pluging.

Not impressed, not impressed at all.
I want wireless charging for $1500 to support teslas. For overnight charging it is good enough. and for automatic charging there should be a more reliable and cheaper solution.

Yes, it's cool and it'll help sell cars. Most people don't buy a Tesla (yet) because it's an economical no-frills transportation machine, they buy them for the tech, sexiness, and cool factor. Those buyers will get the Model 3.

Yes, put all your efforts into launching the Model X.
You guys don`t seriously think Tesla has 100 "universal" engineers who are experts in every single field, do you? If the Model X launch was held up by some sort of charging issue, or mechanics design, maybe this comment would be warranted. But how is the team working on this gonna help that supplier make the 2nd row seats quicker?

Yes, it's cool and it'll help sell cars
This yes. Pure marketing gimmick. A flashy one.

Later on we will have threads about this charging snake scratching the paint and tesla refusing to cover the service under warranty, how it was payed for and after two months still not delivered, how it was promised and demonstrated to work in darkness but still no no-darkness-operation and yada yada yada.

It is getting tiring.

The resources used to develop the charging snake were likely modest. This is a prototype of course. If this becomes a product it will look very different.
Innovative companies try new stuff that may never come to fruition or initially seem not feasible but eventually becomes a real product. This is another example of Tesla thinking outside the box, and I love it.

I see a bigger application for this. Picture a decade from now. This is what a future parking lot will look like:
A robot (think of Wally) equipped with this metal snake will go to a Tesla in a parking lot (could be at a mall). Once it tops up the first car, it will move to the next car, etc. No more having to park right by a charger in a special parking spot to be charged.
How cool would that be?

I guess I read too much science fiction...but who knows.