Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Simulator 17" Screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there one? I'm rather surprised if there isn't since it would be the perfect tool to prepare a new owner for delivery without sitting in the car or worse playing with it while driving.

Nice idea. Closest I've come to that is the "Detailed Touchscreen Walkthrough" video on hhttps://www.teslamotors.com/support .

The video is pretty detailed but does not cover everything. A simulator would be a good addition to the video.

A super nice feature for my Ford Fusion was exactly that... a My Ford Touch simulator as an iOS app. When I went to pick my car up I knew where just about everything was, save for the PHEV options as they weren't on the demo. They even let you set which model car or truck you have so it tailors for that vehicle.

It's be REAL simple to make one up too...

A super nice feature for my Ford Fusion was exactly that... a My Ford Touch simulator as an iOS app. When I went to pick my car up I knew where just about everything was, save for the PHEV options as they weren't on the demo. They even let you set which model car or truck you have so it tailors for that vehicle.

It's be REAL simple to make one up too...

Your Ford Fusion didn't get frequent over the air software updates that would render the app out of date. Tesla would have to constantly update the app if they wanted to keep it in line with what was actually in the cars. I imagine it's more work than they are interested in doing with their limited development resources.

It would be great to have a Model S web browser emulator somewhere.

It's a royal pain in the ass to try and write/debug web code and the only place to do it is in the car.

The browser is such a mess that a lot of standard methods and procedures just don't work. Having a desktop emulator (or even just the source code we could compile and run ourselves would be good).

A very long time ago, the original WebTV (version 1) had a fantastic "WebTV Emulator" program one could install and run in Windows which made it very easy to write pages/sites that worked well in WebTV. Then when they migrated to Version 2 and "MSNTV" units, the emulator was rendered useless, and I think MSNTV was stuck on using an IE6 codebase. Or could have been IE3, I don't recall.

But the ultimate solution is just ditching the browser and using webkit or chrome.

I don't know. If they are running on a 'nix variant, I would think that they could take that code and get it out for use on other 'nix variants with little effort. Just farm it out. It's not like it's doing anything with proprietary systems. Just talking about getting a browser to test against, not a Tesla simulator.

I don't know. If they are running on a 'nix variant, I would think that they could take that code and get it out for use on other 'nix variants with little effort. Just farm it out. It's not like it's doing anything with proprietary systems. Just talking about getting a browser to test against, not a Tesla simulator.

Yes, it runs on linux.

But quite the contrary. The user agent includes "QtCarBrowser" which nobody can really track down, so that must be their own variant. And Tesla can't just open-source the code for the browser, as that would likely lead to several zero-day exploits into the OS, which Tesla obviously wants to avoid at all costs.

Yes, it runs on linux.

But quite the contrary. The user agent includes "QtCarBrowser" which nobody can really track down, so that must be their own variant. And Tesla can't just open-source the code for the browser, as that would likely lead to several zero-day exploits into the OS, which Tesla obviously wants to avoid at all costs.

I would hope the browser is sandboxed. It has no interactions with any of the other systems in the car. Security through obscurity doesn't work.

I would hope the browser is sandboxed. It has no interactions with any of the other systems in the car. Security through obscurity doesn't work.

Even if it's sandboxed doesn't mean there aren't any exploits. And it does have some level of interactions with the other systems for date, time, and GPS location, etc. The browser is crappy enough, I'm sure strong security wasn't their top priority, and updating the browser has remained at the bottom of the list. So I don't think they can "Just farm it out."

I don't think anyone accused Tesla of security through obscurity, though.