TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla site inventory pricing mistake? This 2014 P85D has no age discount

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jan 17, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Has the inventory pricing model changed? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was $1 / mile and 1% per month from the date of manufacture. In that case this 2014 P85D - which should sticker new right around $129,500 should be discounted down to $105K. Instead the inventory site has it priced at $118,470. :confused: Even if 2014 P85D's were $5,000 more expensive that would put it at $110K - not $118K.

Am I making a mistake? Or is it possible it's priced incorrectly on the site and I should call them and ask about it? Please see the link and my attached calculations on what I *think* the price should be. Thanks!

85 kWh Performance Model S P68393 | Tesla Motors

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 11.54.33 PM.png

2. green1

green1 Active Member

That's the formula for inventory cars, I believe you're looking at a preowned car, the formula doesn't work for them because it would break down very quickly once you get more than about a year old and a few thousand miles. You'd very quickly get to values that are way below market price. To my knowledge Tesla has never disclosed their formula for preowned cars.

3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Yeah you're right about CPO's having a different formula but this is listed as an inventory car even though it's a 2014. I dunno, I'll give them a call - maybe the entire listing is a mistake.

4. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

It's now down to $107K.

I still think it could go lower for it to make sense. That Exec Seat option likely has very little value given that it was discontinued and you can no longer transport 3 people in the back seat and I think the Exec Seats also prevents you from being able to fold the seats.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

Sorry, my mistake, it looked CPO to me, but now that I read it, it does say show floor model.

No idea why this one isn't discounted the way you expect. Could simply be market competition based. Why sell for less than you need to?

6. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Or why sell now for $118K when you can sell later for $85K :) This is what they did with the P85+ vehicles that were overpriced for about a year and now a bunch have $20-25K discounts from last year.

7. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

It is? I still see it listed at $118,470 before the EV incentives.

8. green1

green1 Active Member

yup, still 118470 (you need to look carefully, the real price is in tiny writing under the big price that includes all sorts of tax incentives)

9. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Well that solves it - Tesla claims it's a actually a 2015 when I called them.

10. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

You are right. They got me. I got confused by how they don't prominently list the actual selling price of the car :)

That's a horrible price for someone looking to buy a used P85D as at that price they might as well buy a brand new car with seating for 3 in the back and a back seat that you can actually fold down.

11. DougH

DougH Active Member

There are a few on Ebay under $100K

12. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I'm sure there are - I just don't want it very long because I want Autopilot 2.0 hardware when it comes out. If I buy the car, psychologically I will be unable to sell it - I get very attached to things I own lol. I'll end up keeping it for a decade if I buy it outright.