TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Skokie

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by kevincwelch, Oct 3, 2012.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Anyone going to the grand opening this weekend? Just got the email.

2. Wattson

Wattson Member

Will definitely make it one of the days this weekend. Old Orchard is my preferred mall in Chicagoland, so I'm pleased to see this store arrive. I plan on making a reservation around December (holiday gift to myself) for hopeful delivery timeframe around October 2013.

David

3. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

I got the email today as well; not sure I can make it - lots of activities with the kids, the marathon, etc.

@Wattson, I think that if you made a reservation in December you would probably get the delivery a little sooner than October - based on the ramp up and the number of reservations, I would guess July, but it obviously depends on what happens with the European deliveries.

4. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    I might stop by this weekend - after the Solar Tour this Saturday (host site).

5. kevincwelch

I visited the Tesla Store in Skokie. I can confirm that it is a Tesla Store. Compared to the Oak Brook store, which is wide and shallow, the Skokie store is narrow and deep. It is considerably larger. I believe the could conceivably have three vehicles in there if they wanted. It was populated by about 6 or 7 20-something sales people in there. I need to get one of those branded grey/red sales rep polo-style shirts.

On static display is a Signature Series P85 in Signature red with white leather (VIN 5YJSAAP6CFR00110). Software is not up to date; I believe it is version 1.7.36, and there is a nice yellow alarm clock on the top of the 17 inch display that when touched prompts you to set a time for firmware update. Maybe this will fix the "floating HD Camera" video that I was able to duplicate today.

For the test drive, there is a white/black leather. I didn't get an opportunity to see it, although I could have scoped out the garage at the mall to find it. I signed up for a test drive to get yet another opportunity to drive it, take a look at the black leather, and to experience the drive and display at night time (signed up for an 8pm test drive).

I didn't learn much that isn't already known by TMC. The only little nugget that I got is the Google map does now show traffic information. Maybe most already know this.

I snapped some shots; there are some pictures of the jump seats since some people haven't seen those yet.

6. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Excellent sleuthing: "I can confirm that it is a Tesla Store."

7. kevincwelch

Well, one can't believe everything one reads on the Tesla website these days. ;)

8. LakeForest

LakeForest Member

Also visited the store Friday night. Was it just me or was the staff definitely "new"

9. kevincwelch

#9 kevincwelch, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    At the risk of offending anyone, some of them were a little wet behind the ears. I know they need to open more stores and hire new staff, but, yes, some of them were "new."

I also am wondering about the "scruff" some of the men are wearing. I've noticed this at Oak Brook, D.C., and now Skokie. I realize Tesla is cool and all that jazz, but the market is $60k and up. . .. Sounds like petty complaining; I'm not the most well-dressed or always clean and shaven, but I am when I am at work.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

They must have been transplants from California; "scruff" passes for business casual around here ;)