TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Tesla Slashes 7,000 Euros Off Model S Price in Germany"

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Benz, Mar 7, 2014.

1. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

wow, that is still over $100k US

2. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

This is not a great sign. I would think that the reason German buyers are reluctant is possibly the top speed and the less than stellar interior.

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Can someone in Germany, preferably owners, confirm the price difference, details and timeframe please? This is news to me way out in the states ;)

4. Benz

Benz Active Member

Will other countries in the EU (Netherlands, Belgium, France etc.) also get a price reduction?

EUR 7,000 is a huge amount.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Somebody on the linked article said there was a price reduction in Switzerland.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also not a German car.

The speed aspect might be overblown, since unlimited speed sections are not found everywhere, but I also still see the limited Supercharger network and the lack of key safety amenities (particularly the lack of adaptive cruise) as barriers to sales, especially in a patriotic market with significant domestic alternatives.

6. Benz

Benz Active Member

I just checked the Dutch Tesla Motors website, and I saw that the price has been reduced also. I used to be 69,900 Euro (I think), and now it's 66,200 Euro.

[​IMG]

7. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Too many questions...
    If you subract the VAT and/or any import fees, what is the cost?
    Did the Model S, or EVs, just get special treatment in Germany from a manufacture's point of view.
    If so, is Tesla simply passing along the savings?

8. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

No change on the Norwegian site. And when I calculated what it would cost to buy a Model S in Germany, I arrived at the price being within a hundred dollars or so compared to the price here. (Adjusted for taxes.)

9. Benz

Benz Active Member

Maybe because Norway is not in the Euro-zone?

10. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I would think so. I would think this is mostly related to homogenizing prices across Europe. Yesterday it was possible for a German to buy a Norwegian Model S for 7000 Euros less than what it would cost in Germany, after paying the import taxes.

11. Benz

Benz Active Member

Yesterday?

You mean that till yesterday it was for a German better to go buy a Tesla Model S in Norway rather than in Germany? So that has changed now?

12. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Yes. Now it costs almost exactly as much to buy a Model S in Germany as it does to buy a Model S in Norway and export it to Germany. Yesterday you could save something like 7000 Euros.

13. Benz

Benz Active Member

OK

Well, then that means that people from Germany will not be buying a Tesla Model S in Norway anymore.

14. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I'm not sure if anyone has done so - but it might have become a phenomenon if Tesla hadn't adjusted the pricing. :)

15. Benz

Benz Active Member

But still, we don't know what the (official) motive was for this price reduction.

16. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'd guess this is the result of some agreement on VAT/duty/tax/whatever. Given Tesla's stance on same profit everywhere, it's hard to believe they'd take a 7k euro loss on profit in Germany while they're still production constrained.

17. Benz

Benz Active Member

A sales repersentitive told me that the price reduction was due to "significant differences in exchange rates between USD and EUR".

18. ferrosilvio

ferrosilvio Member

In Belgium, since beginning of november 2013 there have been 2 price cuts. In my case 8300 Euro less, If I would order today.

19. Out4aDuck

Out4aDuck Member

This pricing is consistent with Tesla's mission to provide increasingly affordable EV's.