Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except for every car sold between when EAP was phased out (March 2?) and when AP became standard (April 11). We're all in a weird limbo where we had the option to buy "Autopilot," and some of us didn't, myself included.
Autopilot was the basic stuff that you, and everyone else, has. The stuff you didn't buy were extra features. Today, they have blended the two into one package. It is very confusing, but the basic AP, since day one, is on all M3s. (Not including the fact that EAP is installed just not functional until you pay).

Not by the meaning of May 2019 meaning of "Autopilot", which the OP is using. Context man, context.

<edit> And colloquially that use of "Autopilot" you're talking about didn't really happen, EAP was regularly referred to as AP. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fine, not all M3 have the currently called "Autopilot" package enabled. We all have the historical 2018 and earlier version.

Yes, we use AP and EAP interchangeably, but people also say P3D which doesn't make sense. So, let's just go by the official Tesla OM.

Lot of speculation about whether or not ELDA is working properly or not.
Based on reading the threads from owners who have had a negative experience with ELDA, I will speculate further....
First, purely from a sample size perspective, there are WAY too many incorrect interventions already. My guess is that the ELDA algorithm does a good job of monitoring lane departures but does a poor job of considering surrounding traffic/obstacles in the calculation. Most of the horror stories with ELDA involve the car correcting people who have gone out of their lane on purpose because of their particular traffic situation. This is really bad because we generally don't steer out of our lanes... But if safety requires us to do so, having to fight your Tesla to do so is awful. I will say this, my wife already dislikes AP and doesn't use it. She prefers me not to use it when she is in the car (but I still do). If she experienced one of these episodes where she tried to steer around something and the car fought back? She probably wouldn't drive the car ever again. I will refuse to update until their is clearer resolution here. With zero personal experience, I would need to disable ELDA until the NN gets way more training and learns not to fight lane departures that involve collision avoidance!

There are also 10’s of thousands Model 3s that were sold w/o what is now officially known as, and effectively never was referred to as, Autopilot.

You’re peddling the worse kind of pedantry.
Yea, I didn't pay for EAP in 2018. I know exactly what I paid for, and what part of Autopilot was included with my car. I can enable more if I want.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Yea, I didn't pay for EAP in 2018. I know exactly what I paid for, and what part of Autopilot was included with my car. I can enable it if I want to.

I think the modern term for what you're referring to is "standard safety features." But it doesn't help that the toggle for these standard safety features are now contained in a menu called "Autopilot" for folks who never bought the Autopilot software package.

Reactions: SammichLover
Autopilot was the basic stuff that you, and everyone else, has. The stuff you didn't buy were extra features. Today, they have blended the two into one package. It is very confusing, but the basic AP, since day one, is on all M3s. (Not including the fact that EAP is installed just not functional until you pay).
Not quite. I did not buy AP/FSD initially and now do not have TACC. The now-included AP has TACC. The car is also about 10k cheaper now.

It is apparently far more complicated than it would seem. Many factors, including state laws, weather considerations, hardware and who knows.
Or they just don't want to. Of course they could if they wanted too. Elon said long ago that we would be allowed to request a download when a new version comes out. Much like other software. He did not say anything other than it would be feature provided. It never happened. Now we have the Standard and Advanced Option for getting new version with 2019.16. Let's see if this makes any difference. I am not confident it will make a difference but I am hopeful. They should of just allow us to request a download when it became available.

I think the modern term for what you're referring to is "standard safety features." But it doesn't help that the toggle for these standard safety features are now contained in a menu called "Autopilot" for folks who never bought the Autopilot software package.
See below, some of the more basic safety features are part of Autopilot, but not one of the old EAP features.

Not quite. I did not buy AP/FSD initially and now do not have TACC. The now-included AP has TACC. The car is also about 10k cheaper now.

Correct, you do not have what is currently included in the full suite of Autopilot capabilities. But, AP is the general name for many safety features, some of which you DO have. Lane Assist, Collision Avoidance, Speed Assist and Auto High Beams.

Here is page 65 of the December 2018 owners manual:
Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 12.52.44 PM.jpg

I recently got 2019.16.3 added to my car, and I've not had any issues with it over the past couple of days. I allowed myself to drift into the next lane (yes, it was all clear before i did so), and the car took control to place me back into my lane as expected. I was surprised how accurate it was and I like the feature seeing as I am one of those who will drift as soon as my eyes are off the road.. I blame the blonde hair. Anyhow, I also tested it out to see if ELDA would persist past the one correction or if it would overreact if I intentionally took the wheel and maneuvered myself into another lane.. After the car corrected my lane drift, i allowed it to continue to drift again and it never corrected me.. later I intentionally took the wheel and made a lane change without signalling but the car (what i would guess.. ) allowed me to do so without correction. I figure it understood what a drift was vs an intentional no signal lane change.

My two cents.

The first update that bricks every single car or sends cars crashing into other ones is the day the company is done.

I actually had a build that sent me into lane changes at maximum G under AP.

I called it the ‘Falcon Rocket” firmware package that was loaded on my X.

That was not a wide release build and rolled back in 24 hours.

People need to be patient and it’s the internet that creates the culture of NOW. My neighbor got .37483837A - where’s mine??
I think you are missing the point being made. A major rollout of 2019.16.2 was started about May 21 or May 22. It is now May 30th. Roughly 80% of the cars are now on 16.2 or 16.3. Roughly 15% of the cars are still on 2019.12.nnn. Please explain the problem with NOT allowing the remaining cars to get 2019.16.2? I think all of us understand you do not want to roll out a software release to all cars on day 1 but after at some point like 50% of the cars using it for maybe a week would be enough time to allow any remaining cars that want it to have it. The reason is they just do not want to do it. They certainly could and Elon in the past have said they would provide the option. They just have not.

It sounds like having a car that randomly yanks the steering wheel is very distressing.

It's the beeping possibility that is preventing me from installing it. Yanking the wheel I am less concerned about (though it definitely depends on how strong that yanking is and I'd like it to be kept to a minimum), since I will be holding it. But I cannot abide the beeping. No beeping.

ELDA is always there.

Agreed, no debate, for versions 16.2 and 16.3. This is a new feature that did not exist in prior versions. Everyone with a Model 3 has it for sure (and all other safety features), no matter whether they paid for AP/EAP/FSD or not.

The three position slider is LDA, which is a separate thing from ELDA. It appears that LDA only works in conjunction with AP, it will only kick in just after AP is disengaged.

I don't know anything about "LDA". I only know about "LDW" on version 12.1.2 and earlier (it's been around for as long as I have owned the car, so November 2018). Based on Tesla's press release, LDA is new and only part of version 16.2/16.3. (I think.)

Lane Departure Warning (LDW):
This warning will vibrate the steering wheel when crossing lines, sometimes, and only when you do not have your blinker on (and if you cross the line in the opposite direction from your blinker, it will still activate, I think...though that direction thing specifically I could be confusing with the Highlander behavior - the rest is 100% true though). It does NOT beep. It's great, like a shiatsu massage.

I've attached a picture of this LDW setting on version 12.1.2, to be clear about what I'm talking about.

The video you reference shows that there is a "mode confusion" warning that seems to activate sometimes when transitioning from Autosteer to TACC-only mode, when you cross a line in TACC-only mode after having just cancelled Autosteer. I've never experienced it. It's seems to be there to warn you that you're no longer being steered. I believe it beeps (I'm not going to try to dig up the video)? I'm not aware that there is a setting for it, and it's definitely not the "same" as the LDW I describe above. Whether disabling LDW also disables this warning, I don't know. I actually doubt it. I tried to activate this warning yesterday, by turning on Autosteer, overriding the steering, then drifting across a lane line, but I could not. It was kind of busy though so I only tried once, and it was not on a freeway and I wasn't going that fast (maybe 35mph).

So, I have some questions, since I don't have 16.2/16.3:

Is there a new, additional, slider for "LDA"? Or is this a replacement for the LDW slider, now with 3 settings (off/warn/assist)?
Does this new "LDA" beep, if you have it set to warn? Or does it vibrate soothingly only? I sure hope it does not beep.

As we know, there is a separate slider for ELDA, but you have to turn it off every time you drive. That one presumably does a lot of beeping & steering no matter how you have the other options set.

IMG_4904.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Scott7
Based on Tesla's press release, LDA is new and only part of version 16.2/16.3. (I think.)
In 8.6.1 my car was screeching at me like a banshee. Had not done that before. :p Maybe that's LDW? I turned something off, I recall it being a slider but could be wrong. There was a weird transition here of some sort, like LDW was transformed to LDA but not fully? And 12.1 was different that 8.6?

P.S. The final straw for the screeching banshee was when it pissed off my wife, who rarely drives the vehicle, and she complained. That sealed its fate.

Last edited:
In 8.6.1 my car was screeching at me like a banshee. :p Maybe that's LDW? I turned something off.

Reiterating, I am still on version 12.1.2.

<EDITED next couple sentences for clarity>

Let's be careful about this. Let's assume you were (prior to version 16.2) not using Autosteer/TACC on a drive at all...did you experience the screeching on that drive? Just trying to differentiate between the screeching you experience and what I experience.

I routinely get a vibrating steering wheel, but never get beeping from this feature. But I am not using Autosteer/TACC/NoAP at ALL on these drives. This happens every day. Happened this morning. I like it, as it is nice and subtle, no one else hears it, and it doesn't bother me, and it doesn't ever seem to false trigger - I always know why it is going off. It's awesome and will let me know, if I drift inadvertently.

If I turn off the LDW slider above, this vibrating wheel goes away.

It is possible that turning the LDW slider off ALSO disables the "mode confusion warning" Autosteer -> TACC-only transition stuff. But I don't know since I've never experienced that and in general it would be a rare event.

Last edited: