Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ughhh, so no change to ELDA. Being unable to permanently turn that off is unacceptable. I'm on 16.2 and I *hate* ELDA. It's dangerous and makes the car not fun anymore; it's hard to remember to turn it off before every single drive.

Have you expressed your concerns with Tesla service? If your experience is as bad as you say and I have no reason to doubt you, then that should be your first step. Ask them to downgrade you.

In reality, if the feature didn't have the issues you are having, you'd have no issue having it on 24/7. That said, I have no doubt at all that they will get it ironed out soon and all will be well with the world again. I'm taking this thing cross country in a few days. Should be interesting. :)

I know he said it but hasn't that disadvantage gone away with this software update?

I think he meant that HW3 running HW2 neural networks are at a slight disadvantage. Given all of HW2 was trained on downscaled footage, I imagine HW3 is having to expend extra processing power to compress the camera footage before processing it. HW3 upgrades will start when Tesla deploys software which uses neural networks designed and trained for the full resolution footage.

• Informative
Reactions: Dutchie
I really really wonder why Tesla can't roll out updates to everyone all at once.

It can't be a bandwidth issue.

It’s a safety issue. You roll it out to small amount of cars and look at logs to make sure failures don’t start happening. If autopilot take overs start spiking on that version they can stop the rollout and figure out why autopilot regressed. If the update bricks cars they can stop the rollout to minimize damage to fleet and backlog of the service centers and call centers. These cars send a gigantic amount of info back to headquarters so they can diagnose and release other small patches to fix issues as they come up in the test fleet.

Once they are happy with small groups they release it to bigger and bigger groups again pausing to monitor.

It’s a safety issue. You roll it out to small amount of cars and look at logs to make sure failures don’t start happening. If autopilot take overs start spiking on that version they can stop the rollout and figure out why autopilot regressed. If the update bricks cars they can stop the rollout to minimize damage to fleet and backlog of the service centers and call centers. These cars send a gigantic amount of info back to headquarters so they can diagnose and release other small patches to fix issues as they come up in the test fleet.

Once they are happy with small groups they release it to bigger and bigger groups again pausing to monitor.

Of course, but 2019.16.2 isn't even out everywhere. There is no more testing for that load needed. Its been out for a while. Why hasn't that one been rolled out to the masses?

This new minor revision makes me wonder how "Advanced Software Update Preferences" work.

I'm on 2019.16.2 and I turned Advanced on in the software tab the moment I got it.

Just checked the software screen, reconnected wifi, it says I'm up to date. Could mean:
  1. 2019.16.3 isn't available for SR+ in Maryland. And Tesla will still roll software out incrementally now, just state by state and configuration by configuration.
  2. The Advanced setting is like a disconnected "Close door" button in an elevator. It doesn't really do anything but will stop us from constantly resetting our MCUs.

This “advanced” setting is not what people think it is. We still do not have the ability to request updates as soon as available. The notes for the release even say by region and VIN if I remember right. My local service center told me same thing. This is just to shut people up for awhile. It’s like snake oil

Does this mean that HW3 is now "up-to-date" with software? So no more missing features? If so, they can start installing HW3 to HW2+ owners who purchased FSD.

Thats wishful thinking. You should not expect to see those retrofits happen until there are features that are FSD only that DONT WORK on HW 2.5. Thats not nearly the same thing as "both feature sets are the same".

Reactions: OCR1