Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m supposed to pay Tesla tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege of going into a submenu and disabling this every time the car comes out of park? I’m sure they’ll improve the false positives a bit in future updates, but there is no indication whatsoever that this is not a feature they added doing exactly what it is supposed to. Don’t assume they’re ever going to make this optional.

They'll either fix it or make it optional. I think that IS safe to assume.
I'm not sure what you mean by "pay Tesla tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege of going into a submenu and disabling this . . . ." If you're talking about what you paid for the car, I don't believe that the sales contract ever guaranteed that there would never, ever be a single problem with the software that you had to work around. So, if you freely chose a car that's constantly updated, yes, you occasionally have to participate in the process by rarely having to do something like this. It's just part of the bargain. If you didn't like that, then, of course, you had the option of paying "tens of thousands of dollars" for a conventional car that is never updated from the day you buy it until the day you junk it. Then you could complain about paying tens of thousands of dollars for a great car that was rendered obsolete over the first few years. Like the guy said, "You can't have your cake and eat it, too."

Reactions: SammichLover
You guys aren't listening.

Why haven't they rolled out .16.2 to everyone? Masses of people have it but not everyone. Its been tested.

Look...this software version has really been out there for months now. Its not new. AND not everyone has it.

Don't think for a moment that just because 16.2 has started rolling out - that its new. They have beta testers that have been testing this for months now.
Now that its out there....and thousands upon thousands of people have it - why not everyone?

Question: Why isn't .15 fully rolled out yet? You mean to tell me that it hasn't been fully tested in tens of thousands of cars for months?

There wasn't a .15, prior released version was .12.x. .16.x started rolling out on 5/22 according to TeslaFi.com. Not "months ago". I got 16.2 on my Model X 2.5HW yesterday, 6 days after initial rollout. That seems reasonable to me for a gradual rollout to avoid widespread issues.

Peter+

Did they increase the strength of the steering wheel actuators? Mine is late 2018 and I don't find it puts up that much of a fight, especially if I'm really trying to get out of the way.

Maybe you guys just need to hit the gym once in a while. ;) (totally kidding obviously)
The steering rack motor is strong enough to turn the wheels on a 4000lb car at a dead stop. Have you ever tried to turn the wheels on a stopped 4000lb car with 2 turn lock to lock steering? It's probably stronger than most people.

Standard Range Plus with HW3/FSD, build 4/19/19, took delivery 5/2. Came with 2019.7.102, got service center to push 2019.12.1.2, and just got 2019.16.3 an hour ago.
Looks like LDA and ELDA are toggle-able settings.
NOA no confirmation is now available which wasn't on 2019.12.1.2 for HW3.

My car had no issues for two weeks and then it randomly did the rear camera black screen for a full day and also had one random screen reboot last week. Other than that it's been great.

edit: re-uploading images that weren't working right. still kind of wonky, oh well.

So I took delivery 5/18 and it was on 2019.7.102 and I just got a random update to 2019.16.3 about 10 mins ago!

Turns out gliding over the shoulder line a tad is a pretty normal way of driving on New England country roads. ELDA reeks of being tested mostly on highways, or clear straight roads.

It seems clear that there's magnitudes more discontent over this feature than is typical for updates. This is something Tesla should take very seriously. It's turned me from an enthusiastic promoter to no longer able to recommend the car to friends/family. I hope we get a fix soon, in which case I'll turn back into an enthusiastic promoter.

Sorry if I missed it, but did you put in a complaint/suggestion directly to Tesla?
IMO there should be an option to permanently turn off the feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
Not sure if elda problems are real, or the people having issues are just bad drivers....

All these stories like “I was just crossing over the median like normal when elda came out of nowhere”.

If that’s not the case here, I’m sure it eventually will be as self driving becomes safer than humans but humans still think they are better :p
The problems are very real, just not universal. I've had 10 or 11 false positives myself, all due to wacko Dutch country roads with bike lanes, and trees close to the road. No interventions whatsoever on highways or regular roads.

ELDA triggers, currently too quick, on crossing lines while driving in the direction of hard objects like trees, as it only intervenes when it sees immediate danger of collision due to the lane departure. This is a pretty specific situation that was likely not triggered in testing regions but turns out to be too frequent in The Real World.

Is it potentially dangerous? Certainly. Directly life threatening to Tesla drivers? No, not that bad. Does it need to be fixed? Most definitely. Was it already confirmed by Tesla engineers that they're working like mad to fix some issues with 16.2? Yep, on Reddit. Can it take some days? Yes, they likely want to be damn certain an update doesn't make it worse.

I don't think it's a proper reason to refuse the car or to cancel an order. The car is way too good for that. You don't throw your laptop in the trash because a driver contains a bug that causes it to hang a few times. It's not that horrible. Have some perspective.

ELDA triggers, currently too quick, on crossing lines while driving in the direction of hard objects like trees, as it only intervenes when it sees immediate danger of collision due to the lane departure. This is a pretty specific situation that was likely not triggered in testing regions but turns out to be too frequent in The Real World.
What's crazy about this update is that they could easily run it in shadow mode and see how many false positive it's creating. I'm wondering if all the complaints are actually just from really bad drivers. I don't actually believe that but I'm a bit confused how Tesla could think this was a good idea.

Reactions: jsmay311
I'm wondering if all the complaints are actually just from really bad drivers. I don't actually believe that but I'm a bit confused how Tesla could think this was a good idea.
That first sentence stings! :p

Whatever size of fleet “Shadow Mode” operates on (saw it suggested it required HW3, which would be internal only to Tesla until the last month or so), I think this brings up the fundamental limitation of the concept. Without expert, external guidance it is extremely difficult to accurate assess achievement of “safe driving” goals.

Chicken & Egg issue, in a sense, to automate the learning, because how does the system validate that the drivers it is watching are doing it correctly, or doing it the only correct way?

<edit> Put another way, how does the system discern a false positive when the very goal of the feature it is testing assumes the driver makes mistakes & feature is to correct the mistake.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: copyhacker
The steering rack motor is strong enough to turn the wheels on a 4000lb car at a dead stop. Have you ever tried to turn the wheels on a stopped 4000lb car with 2 turn lock to lock steering? It's probably stronger than most people.
Right, but the steering wheel actuators themselves aren't strong enough to do that without help from the steering motors under the car. The steering wheel actuators themselves aren't very strong motors, less than the strength of a person. Elon has said it will always be this way while a steering wheel is in the car.

Reactions: SammichLover