Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla software: Not quite there yet..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returned yesterday from a 1200mi+ trip on interstate highways. We rented enhanced autopilot for the month. Tesla navigation software constantly wanted to direct us to chargers with 28-32% battery remaining. When finding a charger that is beyond the recommended charger it would only add it as a waypoint, directing us to the recommended stop.
Sheetz gas stations were the usual supercharging stops, and while the chargers were available, fast and working, food selection is not the best. When searching for another stop nearby for refreshment while still charging, software would no longer tell us when enough charge to get us to the next stop, or home is reached. Instead it displays the time for a full charge, well over 100 mi over what we needed. After a suitable cushion, we disconnected and proceeded home. After charging or a waystop we had to wait until the program would tell us where and in what direct the highway on ramps were. Apple's maps program was used as a backup and was vastly superior.
The model Y is a fantastic car with quite efficient chargers, but the travel softwere is absymal.

Not done a trip anywhere near your length, but using the "Add a stop" -> "Charging Stations" has yielded decent guidance IME. It may also not be well calibrated relative to your driving habits, and not giving accurate consumption predictions. What I have noticed is the final destination it definitely errs on the side of caution, leaving me with 20-30% battery when I get home for example. That's not desirable because Supercharger rates are roughly 3.5 times home energy rate but it's only a few bucks at the end of the day so not a huge deal.

Reactions: Pianewman
I kinda wish they added a preferred supercharger and some human spontaneity to it -
1. Because I may like the food/bev option over another
2. I may indeed need that 2hr stretch and break vs the 3hr one
3. May prefer the charge rate for time reasons.
4. It may not know I don't have a destination charger when I arrive.

Work around would be to just do wav points.

I've had times when I didn't trust the nav and should have (re-routes, jams etc).
And other times when it puts me at a 50kW charger and down the road was a empty 250kW charger.
I also get they are normally estimating to maximize your charge between the 20%-> 80% for a faster exp.
I try to intervene if I don't like the arrival SoC, or prefer a break. And I've seen it re-route due to availability or the est. SoC dips due to wind etc.

Reactions: Corndart
Not done a trip anywhere near your length, but using the "Add a stop" -> "Charging Stations" has yielded decent guidance IME. It may also not be well calibrated relative to your driving habits, and not giving accurate consumption predictions. What I have noticed is the final destination it definitely errs on the side of caution, leaving me with 20-30% battery when I get home for example. That's not desirable because Supercharger rates are roughly 3.5 times home energy rate but it's only a few bucks at the end of the day so not a huge deal.
Thanks, I agree. Charging in my garage is much cheaper.

I kinda wish they added a preferred supercharger and some human spontaneity to it -
1. Because I may like the food/bev option over another
2. I may indeed need that 2hr stretch and break vs the 3hr one
3. May prefer the charge rate for time reasons.
4. It may not know I don't have a destination charger when I arrive.

Work around would be to just do wav points.

I've had times when I didn't trust the nav and should have (re-routes, jams etc).
And other times when it puts me at a 50kW charger and down the road was a empty 250kW charger.
I also get they are normally estimating to maximize your charge between the 20%-> 80% for a faster exp.
I try to intervene if I don't like the arrival SoC, or prefer a break. And I've seen it re-route due to availability or the est. SoC dips due to wind etc.

Returned yesterday from a 1200mi+ trip on interstate highways. We rented enhanced autopilot for the month. Tesla navigation software constantly wanted to direct us to chargers with 28-32% battery remaining. When finding a charger that is beyond the recommended charger it would only add it as a waypoint, directing us to the recommended stop.
Sheetz gas stations were the usual supercharging stops, and while the chargers were available, fast and working, food selection is not the best. When searching for another stop nearby for refreshment while still charging, software would no longer tell us when enough charge to get us to the next stop, or home is reached. Instead it displays the time for a full charge, well over 100 mi over what we needed. After a suitable cushion, we disconnected and proceeded home. After charging or a waystop we had to wait until the program would tell us where and in what direct the highway on ramps were. Apple's maps program was used as a backup and was vastly superior.
The model Y is a fantastic car with quite efficient chargers, but the travel softwere is absymal.

By the way, anyone travelling N/S on I-95 in the Philly area should use the Newark, DE 'Biden/JFK welcome center chargers. No need to exit the highway. Decent selection for food STARBUCKS 24/7. Large bathrooms & tree lined stroll from the chargers.
Also Holiday Inn Expresses have tesla chargers- clean & convenient.

Well …. I’ve just sort of gotten used to doing things my car’s way. But real easy to leave the charger “early” by watching the arrival SOC at the next stop. Especially on last leg home I just shoot for around 10%. Just unplug and go …

I have used ABRP in tandem in the past ……. But in the end I get to my destination at about the same time. So now I just stop where she (the car) tells me to, stretch my legs, hit the road when she’s ready, and enjoy the ride. I’m an EAP addict. 1100-mi round trip to visit grand kids every 6-weeks or so.

Abysmal? You’ve got to be joking. Try using the garbage in my buddy’s iD4. You’d need to invent a new adjective for that POS.

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart and voxel
Abysmal? You’ve got to be joking. Try using the garbage in my buddy’s iD4. You’d need to invent a new adjective for that POS.

I had an ID.4… even if you use CarPlay (Google Maps or Apple Maps) for navigation it random disconnects. The entire infotainment system is truly a POS. I’m realizing this more and more as I’ve owned numerous EVs since then and they haven’t had anywhere close the same issues.

Reactions: ErnieCharlin
So this is my general approach to Tesla road-tripping (which may not be for everyone):

I'll do some research before-hand to plan out my route and charging (people have suggested using third party software such as ABRP, which is great but is by no means required). I pick my own Supercharger stops (supercharge.info and the TMC forums provide plenty of information to help figure this out, like what places have good restaurants, clean restrooms, etc.). I prefer meal breaks at Superchargers, but don't feel constrained to them. I'll use the in-car navigation only to route to the next charging stop and to monitor the usage of Superchargers along my route, to decide if I might want to change my plans.

For pilots here, if you think of this like planning a cross-country flight in a GA aircraft, that's about the right mindset (IMO, not a pilot myself).

More effort than an ICE? Maybe. Too much effort? I don't think so personally...I've been Tesla road-tripping this way up and down the US West Coast for 7+ years.

Again, this approach isn't for everyone (particularly if you think you should just be able to hop in the car and let software figure it all out), but doing it this way has served me well.

Safe travels all,

Bruce.

PS. TMC has a Road Trips forum

So this is my general approach to Tesla road-tripping (which may not be for everyone):

I'll do some research before-hand to plan out my route and charging (people have suggested using third party software such as ABRP, which is great but is by no means required). I pick my own Supercharger stops (supercharge.info and the TMC forums provide plenty of information to help figure this out, like what places have good restaurants, clean restrooms, etc.). I prefer meal breaks at Superchargers, but don't feel constrained to them. I'll use the in-car navigation only to route to the next charging stop and to monitor the usage of Superchargers along my route, to decide if I might want to change my plans.

For pilots here, if you think of this like planning a cross-country flight in a GA aircraft, that's about the right mindset (IMO, not a pilot myself).

More effort than an ICE? Maybe. Too much effort? I don't think so personally...I've been Tesla road-tripping this way up and down the US West Coast for 7+ years.

Again, this approach isn't for everyone (particularly if you think you should just be able to hop in the car and let software figure it all out), but doing it this way has served me well.

Safe travels all,

Bruce.

PS. TMC has a Road Trips forum

Thanks for the reply.
I tried to re do the trip after the program routed us to the next charger with about 30% battery left. It would only add further stop as a waypoint, not deleting the 30% stop. Would only delete the 30% stop well after we were past it.