Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla software rollout strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After saying "Come on people, try to control this silly version fever...you don't get every version." I would have bet you had the latest version!;)

I'll admit to that. I've gotten a late rollout of just about every update before the 2018.2 series. So yeah, every time before that I was whining about the lack of updates and this time I'm patiently telling people that it's normal to be on the tail end of a rollout.

Totally get how you feel. But if it makes you feel any better, there's in all likelihood nothing wrong with your car / nothing failed with updates. There's still a chunk of people that are waiting for the gradual rollout process, and unless you get really lucky with a service tech or customer support, they'll just repeat the line that this is normal and to wait for an update.

So, which important feature is being held back?
18.6.1 started rolling out on February 21st, not even two weeks ago.
It used to be that long for new software to be rolled out to Europe after having been rolled out to the US first.

Try to get enrolled in the beta program if you can't wait two weeks to receive a new software upgrade.

On top of it, it's fairly obvious by now that this is not the "big one" which Electrek revealed to be in beta the same day as .6.1 was released.

Do you seriously think Tesla is holding back this update from you because an update giving a small convenience feature doesn't arrive on your vehicle in 12 days?
Why would they do it, after all, this assumption should have a rationale behind it? Care to enlighten is?

I don't care for your subjective definition of "important".

I never said it is about just me.

Nor did I say it was about just this specific version.
He asked you what important features and features are being kept from you. Your choice what's important.

From a software developers perspective, even if you have a group of 100 BETA testers, you CANNOT be 100% sure that the release is stable among the rest 100 000. Some configuration and some ways of using the car could cause trouble. Bricking even just 1% / 1000 cars would cost a lot of money. Tesla has every interest of gradually rolling out updates.

Whatever Tesla deemed important enough to write.

Read the rest of your quote again in conjunction with what you wrote in your following post and find the error.
I agree that it's strange they don't follow up the bugs they have rolled out.

But I still mean that it's the only right way to roll out. What could possibly be the other reasons? Some guy at Tesla getting off reading these forum posts?

It might as well be indifference. I don't know. It doesn't even matter whether I know the reason or not. The facts stay the same.

I'm sorry, I have completely lost track of your facts? The fact is that Tesla is in control of their fleet rollout procedure, and they more-or-less follow their procedure. It is getting increasingly hard to get your local SvC to upgrade you just because you ask for it. There's a procedure. They follow it. We have some ideas about what it is but only by inference and conjecture. That's pretty much the only fact we've established here, unless I'm missing something.

You seem to be arguing something which is not an established fact which is that their procedure is harmful to their customers, or that customers "ought" to have a choice, or something. What are you arguing exactly? That customers should be in control of Tesla's release and rollout policy?

The fact is that some cars get updates quite often, while others do not. Thus some get features weeks and even months ahead of others.

My point is that customers should be treated equally.

Are you sure they're not? Perhaps this is random selection, potentially combined with with particular details of the cars, some details the owners may not even be aware of? The thing about randomness is that you do, sometimes, get 6 heads in a row. Roughly one time in 64 to be precise. And there are a lot more than 64 Tesla owners active on these forums. For everybody who scores 6 heads in a row, somebody gets 6 tails.

Are you sure they're not? Perhaps this is random selection, potentially combined with with particular details of the cars, some details the owners may not even be aware of? The thing about randomness is that you do, sometimes, get 6 heads in a row. Roughly one time in 64 to be precise. And there are a lot more than 64 Tesla owners active on these forums. For everybody who scores 6 heads in a row, somebody gets 6 tails.

Oh come on. Really, one can get 6 heads in a row? That had been totally unheard of until today. You should apply for the Noble prize!

That aside: I never said it's not random. It probably is. But it's been decided once, maybe when the car was created or first logged into the system. That doesn't invalidate my statement.

But it's not random per firmware version or per day or per connection to the server. One can see that from the data on teslafi.com.

• Disagree
Reactions: MattMatt
You are looking at it backward. The guys that get the updates earlier aren't getting features that are being held back from the rest of the customers. They're acting as beta testers for software that isn't ready for release yet. There are plenty of horror stories from those beta testers of serious problems they've encountered as a result of being so "lucky".

When a release is tested and ready for wide release, it gets widely released. If it's not yet widely released, it's still not fully tested/validated. Do you *really* want to be a beta tester for immature software on your 4,000 lb self-guided missile?
I must be a beta tester somehow. I have been getting updates the last few months a day or two after they are released. I may be one of the lucky ones because I haven’t had any issues with any of the past 4-5 updates.

I must be a beta tester somehow. I have been getting updates the last few months a day or two after they are released. I may be one of the lucky ones because I haven’t had any issues with any of the past 4-5 updates.

It seems like once you get on the slide, you get to ride it until the next wide release. For example most people who got 2018.2 then got one of the 2018.4.x releases then 2018.6.1 early. But assuming this is the wide release, you might not win the lottery when 2018.8 or 10 starts slowly rolling out....

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober