Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Software Update Improves Speed Limit Sign Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s latest software update (2020.40.0.4) includes a few new features and an improvement to its Speed Assist feature.

The update rolled out to Tesla owners on Wednesday. In addition to improvements to “Speed Assist,” which debuted in August, the update also included new security and infotainment features.

Notable additions to the software include:

Speed Assist Improvements – “In addition to local roads, Speed Assist now leverages your car’s cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data for highways.”

Priority Bluetooth Device – “To avoid connecting to the wrong nearby phone, you can now set your priority Bluetooth device. Your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected before it attempts to connect to other paired phones.”

Glovebox PIN – “Protect the valuables in your glovebox with a 4-digit PIN.” 

Charge Port Inlet Heater – “Your car can now use the charge port inlet heater to help defrost the inside of the charge port. The charge port inlet heater can be activated in cold ambient temperatures by enabling preconditioning using the mobile app, activating the rear defrost button on the vehicle’s touchscreen, or preconditioning the vehicle using scheduled departure.”

Last edited by a moderator:
My take is that the algorithm looks for white speed limit signs as my model Y never reads the yellow background speed limit signs that are common in NH and MA. It also doesn't "read" the signs as signs that say END SPEED LIMIT 30 which means resume your 50 MPH or whatever speed.
Artificial Intelligence isn't.
In MA yellow signs are recommendations the white ones are the ones that are enforced.

• Informative
Reactions: philw1776
Tesla also uses Google Maps to determine the speed limit where you are at the time. It's possible that Google Maps isn't updated for the roads you're traveling. When did the speed limit change?

Before it started reading signs, it always used Google Maps data, which was usually (though not always) correct. Since the last update it has been reading signs… but only up to 60 MPH. When it gets to a 70 or 75 zone, it not only ignores those signs, but it also does not revert to Google Maps data. Which means, the car still thinks the speed limit is 60, and it will not allow Autopilot faster than 65 MPH.

That means every time I leave town — any town — and go from the 60 zone to the 70 or 75 zone, my Autopilot remains limited to 65 max. The only way to reset is to pull off onto another local road (such as a county road), then immediately turn around and get back onto the highway. That causes the car to revert to the map data.

I am surprised by how many people I have to explain this to. I just figured everybody would have noticed their own cars doing this by now. It certainly has been quite a nuisance to me.

It uses use google maps data for when it doesn't see a speed limit sign. When it views a sign the sign will win.

The problem is that it doesn’t “see” 70 MPH or 75 MPH signs, but it also doesn’t revert back to map data when it passes one. Which means the car still thinks the limit is 60.

Which is why I’m eager to get the update referenced in this article and see if it resolves the issue. Fingers crossed…

I
Before it started reading signs, it always used Google Maps data, which was usually (though not always) correct. Since the last update it has been reading signs… but only up to 60 MPH. When it gets to a 70 or 75 zone, it not only ignores those signs, but it also does not revert to Google Maps data. Which means, the car still thinks the speed limit is 60, and it will not allow Autopilot faster than 65 MPH.

That means every time I leave town — any town — and go from the 60 zone to the 70 or 75 zone, my Autopilot remains limited to 65 max. The only way to reset is to pull off onto another local road (such as a county road), then immediately turn around and get back onto the highway. That causes the car to revert to the map data.

I am surprised by how many people I have to explain this to. I just figured everybody would have noticed their own cars doing this by now. It certainly has been quite a nuisance to me.
I drive along Texas roads, as well. I send bug reports every time the speed limit is missed. I don’t know why it reads signs up to 60 OK and seems to ignore 65 and 70 mph signs.

Really looking forward to this update. I hope it will resolve the problem I've been having here in Texas, where a lot of our non-divided highways are marked 70 or 75 MPH, but the car has not been reading those signs, and it effectively limits Autopilot to 65 MPH max most of the time. But those are exactly the roads where I most want to use it!
Got to love Texas backroads

Pretty cool. Is there any mention of a fix for the phantom braking at high speed on AP?
I'm with you, Steve, the phantom braking must be fixed. We've had it happen to us on several occasions while driving on the interstate. Humming along at 70, in traffic, and suddenly the car panic brakes at an overpass. We now drive with our foot lightly on the accelerator pedal, but there is still the reaction time which can cause, and I am sure has caused, a rear-ender if someone is right behind. To me, that is a huge safety issue.

Reactions: kayak1
I've had the update for several days now and noticed how it works with my cruise speed. Let's say I'm on a road with a 45 mph speed limit and am currently doing 45. Since I have my settings at 5 mph above speed limit, when I set the cruise, "The Bitch" (my car's name) speeds up to 50. That's odd, wouldn't you say? I'll have to reconsider my settings.

You may have asked yourself why he calls his car The Bitch? When I bought an Accord back in 04 with voice recognition and navigation, and an 08 Prius with VR & Nav, I named the Honda, The Bitch since it was always telling me where to go and the Prius was Bitchette for the same reason. So when I bought my M3 and no longer had either of the others, I was going to name the M3 "WOPR" after the computer in the 1983 Wargames movie. But then my wife reminded me the Bitch line would die out, I changed my mind.

Tesla’s latest software update (2020.40.0.4) includes a few new features and an improvement to its Speed Assist feature. The update rolled out to Tesla owners on Wednesday. In addition to improvements to “Speed Assist,” which debuted in August, the update also included new security and infotainment features. Notable additions to the software include: Speed Assist Improvements...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/10/01/tesla-software-update-improves-speed-limit-sign-detection/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Allstate for our Y was 1/3 less than what Tesla quoted us for insurance. But then we have it bundled with others cars, house, earthquake, etc. You might want to double check what you’re paying for insurance. Meanwhile, I’ll stick with AAA.

I received this update, and immediately noticed a problem:

When shifting into reverse, I used to be able to view the left- and right-sides along with the rear of the car, as I would back out. This was in the OTA update immediately prior to the most current update.

After applying the current update, the side views are missing (and/or: the side cameras are not activated).

This needs to be addressed, and side views are a near-critical requirement when backing out to avoid striking people.
I have it with my latest update but I selected it, it’s not automatic.

Mine doesn't do that. We only had 65 MPH speed limits (no higher), it act like normal and sets it to 65+8, my setting.

I'm a little confused. My 2015 Model S has always read the speed limit signs from the camera. None of these updates (when I risk installing them for fear of what's broken) change anything that I can tell in that regard. And I can always set the TACC to any speed I wish -- just can't use Autopilot five over the limit. Does the newer hardware have less capability?

They are talking about when you have Stop lights and signs enabled. Then it limits your speed when you set the TACC or Autosteer to +5 on certain roads. You have the old AP1 and it always read signs because it uses the Mobileye software. You don't get the other AP updates.

Img_2020_10_04_09_24_12~2.jpeg
so where is this ^ arrow located ?

I'm with you, Steve, the phantom braking must be fixed. We've had it happen to us on several occasions while driving on the interstate. Humming along at 70, in traffic, and suddenly the car panic brakes at an overpass. We now drive with our foot lightly on the accelerator pedal, but there is still the reaction time which can cause, and I am sure has caused, a rear-ender if someone is right behind. To me, that is a huge safety issue.

Yes, exact same scenario I encountered twice. I had people in the car the second time and a car behind me. Very scary.

I don’t believe those bug reports are sent to Tesla over the air. You need the service center to pull them off.
Someone at Tesla is listening for they are working on a fix. I get caught on beltway 8 here in Houston (South side) while in any lane, it will auto slow down to like 60 for no care, then seconds later, auto speed back up. I really hate using AP or cruise for that matter on this section of road. I hit the bug report as well.

In any of these releases—for cars with FSD/MCU1–does anyone know if there’s an indicator of any kind that the car has read a speed limit sign? (Yes, I know you get an image of a speed limit sign with MCU2.)
Thanks!

I have a MS with FSD/MCU1 and can see the speed limit sign in the dash when the speed limit changes. I don't know if it reading the sign or gets that info from the GPS maps. I notice it takes a while sometimes for it to change to the new speed limit. When it comes to taking a curve in the road it does not do the speed of the speed advisory sign says to do. I takes curves way to fast and kind of shaky. Also it does not auto adjust my speed to the new speed limits ever. This is all in FSD mode. Software 2020.36.11