Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Software Update Improves Speed Limit Sign Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s latest software update (2020.40.0.4) includes a few new features and an improvement to its Speed Assist feature.

The update rolled out to Tesla owners on Wednesday. In addition to improvements to “Speed Assist,” which debuted in August, the update also included new security and infotainment features.

Notable additions to the software include:

Speed Assist Improvements – “In addition to local roads, Speed Assist now leverages your car’s cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data for highways.”

Priority Bluetooth Device – “To avoid connecting to the wrong nearby phone, you can now set your priority Bluetooth device. Your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected before it attempts to connect to other paired phones.”

Glovebox PIN – “Protect the valuables in your glovebox with a 4-digit PIN.” 

Charge Port Inlet Heater – “Your car can now use the charge port inlet heater to help defrost the inside of the charge port. The charge port inlet heater can be activated in cold ambient temperatures by enabling preconditioning using the mobile app, activating the rear defrost button on the vehicle’s touchscreen, or preconditioning the vehicle using scheduled departure.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting info. The thing that gets my attention they say the car will use its cameras (plural) to assist with speed limit sign detection. How can it use the rear facing cameras to look at the back of a sign that was already passed? There is only ONE forward facing camera isn't there? Ok, maybe I am just having a stupid day and someone will clear this up for me.

always nice to see a TMC post about new features.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Interesting info. The thing that gets my attention they say the car will use its cameras (plural) to assist with speed limit sign detection. How can it use the rear facing cameras to look at the back of a sign that was already passed? There is only ONE forward facing camera isn't there? Ok, maybe I am just having a stupid day and someone will clear this up for me.

Probably to two B-piilar side cameras.

Is this update for all Tesla model? I have a model Y but have not received any notification yet.

You'll be updated based on some internal algorithm that nobody on the outside knows about. And there is nothing you can do to get it faster (unless you were grandfathered into one of their beta programs). There is an option in the car if you want to get in advance of most, but that's all you can do.

Really looking forward to this update. I hope it will resolve the problem I've been having here in Texas, where a lot of our non-divided highways are marked 70 or 75 MPH, but the car has not been reading those signs, and it effectively limits Autopilot to 65 MPH max most of the time. But those are exactly the roads where I most want to use it!

always nice to see a TMC post about new features.
In total there are 5 forward facing cameras on every AP2+ cars.

3 in the windshield, 2 b-pillar cams.
So, in essence 4 cameras can be used to capture speed limit signs on one side of the road and 4 (3 of them being the same) could be used on the other side of the road -- like highways that have speed limit signs on both banks of the road.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Autopilot has been a disaster since the August release. I drive most 2 lane state and us roads and since the release It has the wrong speed limit more than it has the right speed limit. Since it limits me to 5mph over the speed limit it is useless when it thinks the speed limit is 45 when it is actually 70. Before the release there were a few roads where the limit was off a little but now it is wrong most of the time. I haven't gotten the Wednesday release so I hope it fixes my problems here in Texas when I get it.

I received this update, and immediately noticed a problem:

When shifting into reverse, I used to be able to view the left- and right-sides along with the rear of the car, as I would back out. This was in the OTA update immediately prior to the most current update.

After applying the current update, the side views are missing (and/or: the side cameras are not activated).

This needs to be addressed, and side views are a near-critical requirement when backing out to avoid striking people.

Really looking forward to this update. I hope it will resolve the problem I've been having here in Texas, where a lot of our non-divided highways are marked 70 or 75 MPH, but the car has not been reading those signs, and it effectively limits Autopilot to 65 MPH max most of the time. But those are exactly the roads where I most want to use it!
We have the opposite problem. When transitioning from 65 highways to 40 streets autopilot does not adjust the speed setting and tries to keep going at 70. I am basically having to manually set the speed 75% of the time since the last update.

I received this update, and immediately noticed a problem:

When shifting into reverse, I used to be able to view the left- and right-sides along with the rear of the car, as I would back out. This was in the OTA update immediately prior to the most current update.

After applying the current update, the side views are missing (and/or: the side cameras are not activated).

This needs to be addressed, and side views are a near-critical requirement when backing out to avoid striking people.
Are you sure those are not hidden?
There is a little ^ arrow that allows you to hide/show the side camera views.

Our problem in France is that sometimes we don't have speed limiter and speed delimiter signs. When you are on non-highway roads and come to a town or village, there is an oblong sign with the name of the village on it. Every driver knows this means the limit is 50kph. As you leave the village, same sign but with a red stripe through it. Every driver knows this means 50kph is over and you can go back to the national speed limit of 80 or 90 depending on the departement OR another speed limit which may be notified. We also have a rule called 'priority a droit'. No one understands this rule at all...and then you have roundabouts...and 4 way stops...
Note to self: Why did I buy Autopilot...?

Are you sure those are not hidden?
There is a little ^ arrow that allows you to hide/show the side camera views.

Yes, I am sure....I called Tesla, to complain about that as well as my screen stays "black" when shifting into reverse, roughly 50% of the time. Yes, I've already rebooted the screen twice.

Tesla had me power down the whole car, wait 2 minutes, then touch the brake pedal to awaken the car. So far, that has fixed the screen going black, but the two side cameras are still not showing up....and they previously were....