Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Software Update Improves Speed Limit Sign Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s latest software update (2020.40.0.4) includes a few new features and an improvement to its Speed Assist feature.

The update rolled out to Tesla owners on Wednesday. In addition to improvements to “Speed Assist,” which debuted in August, the update also included new security and infotainment features.

Notable additions to the software include:

Speed Assist Improvements – “In addition to local roads, Speed Assist now leverages your car’s cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data for highways.”

Priority Bluetooth Device – “To avoid connecting to the wrong nearby phone, you can now set your priority Bluetooth device. Your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected before it attempts to connect to other paired phones.”

Glovebox PIN – “Protect the valuables in your glovebox with a 4-digit PIN.” 

Charge Port Inlet Heater – “Your car can now use the charge port inlet heater to help defrost the inside of the charge port. The charge port inlet heater can be activated in cold ambient temperatures by enabling preconditioning using the mobile app, activating the rear defrost button on the vehicle’s touchscreen, or preconditioning the vehicle using scheduled departure.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2020 M3 only with AP. I’m on 2020.36.10. If you engage TACC, is it suppose to automatically adjust your speed to the current speed limit it recognizes ( plus your offset )?
I thought I saw this happened once, but most of the time I either have to touch the speed limit sign on the display or use the thumb wheel to adjust.

I've found the new camera identification of speed limit, even before this update to be very useful. GPS identification of speed limit often lagged or was downright wrong, especially in construction zones.

One feature I'd like to see added - and I already tweeted Elon about it - is making the speed travelled automatic if you are in TACC. I travel about 9 miles daily where there are 7 speed limit changes, both up and down. It would be very helpful if the car would just speed up and slow down based on the signage. It also seems that would need to be a feature for FSD, so I guess it will come eventually.

Autopilot has been a disaster since the August release. I drive most 2 lane state and us roads and since the release It has the wrong speed limit more than it has the right speed limit. Since it limits me to 5mph over the speed limit it is useless when it thinks the speed limit is 45 when it is actually 70. Before the release there were a few roads where the limit was off a little but now it is wrong most of the time. I haven't gotten the Wednesday release so I hope it fixes my problems here in Texas when I get it.

The speed limit reading only will adjust your speed down, not up. Sounds like you have map data errors, but that won't be over ridden by Speed Assist.

Autopilot has been a disaster since the August release. I drive most 2 lane state and us roads and since the release It has the wrong speed limit more than it has the right speed limit. Since it limits me to 5mph over the speed limit it is useless when it thinks the speed limit is 45 when it is actually 70. Before the release there were a few roads where the limit was off a little but now it is wrong most of the time. I haven't gotten the Wednesday release so I hope it fixes my problems here in Texas when I get it.

We picked up our Model 3 a week ago today. In the car setup, it wants to know how much over the speed limit you want to drive. I set it for nine over. Immediately after doing that, if the speed limit is 70, the number in the gray cruise speed circle is 79. Once I tap down to activate cruise, the cruise is now set at 79. It will not automatically either increase or decrease the speed as the speed limit changes. But all you have to do is tap up to deactivate the cruise, the new nine over number appears in the gray circle and then tap down to activate the cruise. I use cruise a lot and I love that feature!!!

For what it is worth my July 2020 M3 (2020.36.11) is doing far worse recognizing speed limits. On my nearest highway, the car would acknowledge a change from 55 to 65 within roughly 150 feet, now not at all. Especially frustrating in that it is where I use AP most often. I always send a "Bug report", but seems 1 step forward 2 steps back, at least temporarily.

And I'm looking forward to this:
Priority Bluetooth Device – “To avoid connecting to the wrong nearby phone, you can now set your priority Bluetooth device. Your car will attempt to connect to the priority device associated with the profile selected before it attempts to connect to other paired phones.”

Tired of my wife and I getting in the vehicle and it connects to hers instead of mine. I like calls and music to be directed by my phone when I drive.

Reactions: kayak1
Our problem in France is that sometimes we don't have speed limiter and speed delimiter signs. When you are on non-highway roads and come to a town or village, there is an oblong sign with the name of the village on it. Every driver knows this means the limit is 50kph. As you leave the village, same sign but with a red stripe through it. Every driver knows this means 50kph is over and you can go back to the national speed limit of 80 or 90 depending on the departement OR another speed limit which may be notified. We also have a rule called 'priority a droit'. No one understands this rule at all...and then you have roundabouts...and 4 way stops...
Note to self: Why did I buy Autopilot...?

He he he, I know your pain. I knew prior to buying that I'm estimating the chance of it becoming a success was minimal (so I bought it "one sale"). And they are living up to my expectation. But as a software developer I'm very interested in experiencing the development process.

For me, in the Netherlands, the speed detection does not take into account that after every intersection deviating speeds should be repeated (how else would a driver turning onto the road know that it deviates?). Which also means that if the speed sign is missing, the regular speed is reinstated. For example: suppose there are some roadworks, and the regular 80 km/h is reduced to 50 km/h, then after the next intersection it is back to 80. The car does not do that, once it sees the 50 it stays on that. And there is no way of forcing it to go faster again, except by pressing the accelerator pedal myself. A reset / override option would be good.

Last edited:
In upstate NY we have a lot of “End Speed Limit” signs. Ex. End Speed Limit 30. Which means do the State Speed Limit “55”. But the car just reads and registers the number on the sign!
Also I drive a lot on State Route 40. And the car sees those signs and adjusts my speed limit to 40! And there are a lot more Route signs then speed limit signs on that particular road!

Really looking forward to this update. I hope it will resolve the problem I've been having here in Texas, where a lot of our non-divided highways are marked 70 or 75 MPH, but the car has not been reading those signs, and it effectively limits Autopilot to 65 MPH max most of the time. But those are exactly the roads where I most want to use it!

Tesla also uses Google Maps to determine the speed limit where you are at the time. It's possible that Google Maps isn't updated for the roads you're traveling. When did the speed limit change?

My problem is when I drive on RT 27 it keeps on setting the speed limit to 20 when it views a RT27 sign. It will bounce back to the correct speed when it views a speed limit sign.

My take is that the algorithm looks for white speed limit signs as my model Y never reads the yellow background speed limit signs that are common in NH and MA. It also doesn't "read" the signs as signs that say END SPEED LIMIT 30 which means resume your 50 MPH or whatever speed.
Artificial Intelligence isn't.

I'm a little confused. My 2015 Model S has always read the speed limit signs from the camera. None of these updates (when I risk installing them for fear of what's broken) change anything that I can tell in that regard. And I can always set the TACC to any speed I wish -- just can't use Autopilot five over the limit. Does the newer hardware have less capability?

Interesting info. The thing that gets my attention they say the car will use its cameras (plural) to assist with speed limit sign detection. How can it use the rear facing cameras to look at the back of a sign that was already passed? There is only ONE forward facing camera isn't there? Ok, maybe I am just having a stupid day and someone will clear this up for me.

always nice to see a TMC post about new features.
As far as I know there are three cameras facing forward.

I received the update for my MS over a week ago. It did make a difference. Specifically, there was one 3-4 mile stretch of road where my car always lost track of the speed limit, despite posted speed limit signs. Now my car (and my wife's M3) accurately maintain info about the speed limit based on accurately reading the signs! A definite improvement.

Reactions: john5520