Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Software Update Includes New Autopilot Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has pushed a new update that offers new features for Autopilot like speed adjustments and stop sign warnings.

The new features continue to advance the software toward a “feature complete” version of Tesla’s full self-driving version of Autopilot. Chief Executive Elon Musk has said that full version of the software will be available to a limited number of owners by the end of the year. 

Tesla’s description of the new features included in the update (2019.40.2) are below. 

Adjacent Lane Speed Adjustments“When your vehicle is moving at a significantly faster speed than vehicles in neighboring lanes, Autopilot now automatically reduces your driving speed. This is helpful in heavy traffic situations or when there is a long line of vehicles merging into a different lane or exiting onto an off-ramp. When your vehicle detects that adjacent lane traffic is significantly slower, the lane is highlighted with arrows and its vehicles are highlighted gray in the driving visualization. This speed adjustment can be temporarily overridden by pressing the accelerator pedal.”Autosteer Stop Sign Warning“Your car may warn you in some cases if it detects that you are about to run a stop sign, in addition to stop lights, while Autosteer is in use. This is not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car.”

While Tesla’s vehicles are getting closer to full-self-driving, owners still need to be alert and keep their hands on the steering wheel. However, the company believes that the cars will be able to operate fully without driver intervention in another year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla has pushed a new update that offers new features for Autopilot like speed adjustments and stop sign warnings. The new features continue to advance the software toward a “feature complete” version of Tesla’s full self-driving version of Autopilot. Chief Executive Elon Musk has said that full version of the software will be available to...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/12/06/tesla-software-update-includes-new-autopilot-features/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
So I am waay back on 36.2.4 and just got an update, but it added no features. Any tricks to force an update to current 40 ?

Does anyone know the size of this update?

I just checked my Tesla app and it says I have a software update and instructs me to connect to wi-fi to download it. I’m on 36.2.1 now. I don’t have wi-fi where I park my car. I can either wait until Monday and head to the Service Center to do the download or use my phone as a hotspot to do the download this weekend.

Does anyone know the size of this update?

I just checked my Tesla app and it says I have a software update and instructs me to connect to wi-fi to download it. I’m on 36.2.1 now. I don’t have wi-fi where I park my car. I can either wait until Monday and head to the Service Center to do the download or use my phone as a hotspot to do the download this weekend.

Your car should tell you what update you are getting. But you are probably getting 36.2.4 if you are still on 36.2.1. In which case, it is a small update, just a bug fix. Use your phone's hotspot. It will download in like 10 mn.

Why is this? Is it based on what HW you’re running?

Partly yes. Not all cars get the same features. AP3 cars may get different features than AP2 or AP1 for example. Tesla makes a plan for how they will roll out software versions. So when your VIN number matches the VINs that are scheduled for the update, your car gets the update notification.

• Informative
Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
The Adjacent Lane Speed Adjustment aint new. My 3 has been doing that little dance for several months. And it can suck in SoCal traffic.

Last August I was cruising 60+ in the third lane of a 6 lane freeway when the traffic in the 2nd lane slowed to a crawl as it was turning into an exit lane for an upcoming freeway interchange. (both the 1st and second lanes exited stage right to a the northbound freeway.) My car went from 60 to 40 in a nanosecond until it recognized that the cars to my right were moving even further right, and not left into my lane.Something similar happened over Thanksgiving weekend on the drive to NorCal. I've also heard of SoCal tesla drivers experiencing such phantom slowing(?) when driving at the speed limit in the car pool lanes while the adjacent lane is stop and go.

Needless to say, the cars behind me are not impressed with the AP 'safety' slowdown.

Surely hopes that would be us FSD owners, in EVERY country, not just the US...

As with Navigate on Autopilot and Smart Summon, it would likely be with Early Access users in the US. That's if city driving features even make it Early Access users by the end of this month, which feels optimistic. Any time Elon gives a timeline for autonomy software, I mentally add six months.

As with Navigate on Autopilot and Smart Summon, it would likely be with Early Access users in the US.

Yes, that was my first thought also, but then I remembered that on the Norwegian (and others) Tesla site, they say stop sign, speed limit, etc, will be available within this year/later this year.

Off course it would be cool to have smart summon, etc, also:)

Checked the site now, still says the same thing.

Coming this year:
*understands and responds to traffic lights.
*automatic driving in city streets
*smart summon, car will find you in a parking lot.

None of which are available in the EU/Norway area yet. We don't have NOA without stalk, enhanced/smart summon, etc.

But hey, he still got 23 days to go:p

The Adjacent Lane Speed Adjustment aint new.
The existing functionality you describe is Autopilot yielding for an upcoming merge introduced with the release of Navigate on Autopilot (but doesn't require Navigate on Autopilot to be active). I agree that the current yielding behavior is not great and I think similar to your experience, it can unnecessarily yield to vehicles in an adjacent lane that are already exiting. Around here, there's several exits that are not "exit only" but immediately after the exit, the right-most lane ends/merges, so Autopilot slows down until it realizes the vehicle it's tracking is no longer adjacent.

The Adjacent Lane Speed Adjustments is definitely new behavior with new display as Autopilot is not yielding (i.e., slowing down to match the adjacent vehicle to allow them to merge in front) but instead is making sure the speed differential between you and the adjacent vehicle is not so great while it passes these slower vehicles. From various videos, it seems like this behavior slows the car to be at most 10mph faster.

It's still unclear how proactively this will trigger especially with some places with HOV lanes separated with regular dashed lines, and it probably wouldn't be good if Autopilot slowed down significantly to match stop-n-go traffic. But then again, cruising at 70mph while the adjacent lane is going 20mph can easily result in an accident when someone slowly enters into the much faster lane.

Reactions: eli_
The Adjacent Lane Speed Adjustment aint new. My 3 has been doing that little dance for several months. And it can suck in SoCal traffic.

Last August I was cruising 60+ in the third lane of a 6 lane freeway when the traffic in the 2nd lane slowed to a crawl as it was turning into an exit lane for an upcoming freeway interchange. (both the 1st and second lanes exited stage right to a the northbound freeway.) My car went from 60 to 40 in a nanosecond until it recognized that the cars to my right were moving even further right, and not left into my lane.Something similar happened over Thanksgiving weekend on the drive to NorCal. I've also heard of SoCal tesla drivers experiencing such phantom slowing(?) when driving at the speed limit in the car pool lanes while the adjacent lane is stop and go.

Needless to say, the cars behind me are not impressed with the AP 'safety' slowdown.

can this be adjusted in the cars settings at all?