Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traffic control is ok, but a bit of a novelty
Makes a mess of roundabouts which also have traffic light control
If adjacent roads have a stop sign bent or at certain angle the car will jam on the brakes
Also, be VERY CAREFUL OF WIDE INTERSECTIONS with traffic lights
As the car goes through the intersection it will see the lights on the opposite side & attempt to stop again!

Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to get a red light when when you need one !!!

I have not had an opportunity to be stopped at a light with a turn signal on the side.
On the occasions when I was behind another vehicle with lights that had a turn signal, I noticed confusion, as the display kept rotating between red and green when it was green for the turning lane but red for us.
Hopefully this will improve with more real world data.

My car just downloaded 20.12 and in the release notes I don't see the traffic light stopping mentioned - this is because I didn't pay for full self driving. Can someone please confirm if this is correct?
According to the current tesla ordering page responding to traffic lights is part of the FSD package. In earlier cars though these features were included, which is why some may have it without FSD

Tested 20.13 traffic lights and stop signs control yesterday evening for the first time on major suburban roads in Melb like Burwood Hwy, Springvale Rd, Ferntree Gully Rd, etc., roads where I would normally engage TACC (or AP occasionally).
  1. It definitely works. The car correctly detected every traffic light (at intersection or pedestrian crossings) and intersection, the latter even without STOP or GIVE WAY signs. I didn't encounter any misses so far. The traffic light visualisations are brighter and more pronounced.
  2. It works ... too well. For example,
    1. I was on the rightmost lane of a multi-lane highway (Burwood Hwy) that has a tram line in the middle of the two carriageways. When I approached a right turning slip lane that has traffic lights to warn of approaching trams, my car pop up the warning of approaching traffic lights and began to slow down. I had to tap on the accelerator to ignore it as I was going straight. Early this morning at the same spot I let the car do its thing (there were no cars around me then)---as the car slowed down and got close, it realised it was a slip lane traffic light, cancelled the warning, picked up speed and resumed.
    2. When crossing a major intersection like Burwood Hwy & Springvale Rd where each road has up to 6 lanes at the lights (4 straight + 2 right turn), regardless of whether the lights were red or green when I approached, the car would always react to the traffic lights on the other side of the intersection and slow down in the middle of the intersection. It was the same when crossing smaller intersections of undivided single/double lane roads that have traffic lights.
While I appreciate this technology in the continuous improvement of my M3 towards the end goal of true autonomous FSD, I'll admit this feature makes driving less enjoyable in built up areas with many traffic lights. I use TACC quite a bit on major suburban roads and having to tap on the accelerator or stalk that frequently IMO is a step backwards to the enjoyment that TACC provides. I'm already in super vigilant mode when using TACC/AP in looking out for phantom braking, etc., and this would take it over the line.

These are my thoughts on how to improve this feature.
  • Relocate the warning of approaching traffic lights/stop signs/etc. to the top righthand corner of screen (for RHD M3s). We M3 drivers have already conditioned ourselves to look at the speed at the top righthand corner of the screen---to have to look further down to the bottom third of the screen for the warnings takes your eyes too much off the road IMO. I know most of us would/could eventually just respond automatically without looking at the screen, I just reckon placing the warning somewhere in the top righthand corner eliminates having to learn a new thing.
  • The car should not react when the traffic lights are green. This will have a huge improvement when driving in built up areas. We already know what to do as we approach traffic lights/intersections with TACC/AP enabled without a car in front of us. If the car does not correctly recognise a red light, we'd respond as we normally would.

Reactions: JohnBNE
Also, be VERY CAREFUL OF WIDE INTERSECTIONS with traffic lights
As the car goes through the intersection it will see the lights on the opposite side & attempt to stop again!
After some more driving today, you have to see this as you doing Tesla a favour
There are so many errors & fairly basic things it can’t handle that it is you being a true beta tester for feedback
If you aren’t willing to help out Tesla then don’t switch it on - you have to be more vigilant with it on

To state the obvious, the car is currently stopping at all lights even if green because Tesla does nit have the required confidence the car will,always get it right. You are much much better off having the car assume all lights are falsely red than falsely green and get an error.
If that’s the case the release notes are sloppily written. Instead of saying “This feature will slow the car for all detected traffic lights, including green” it should say “This feature will slow the car for all detected traffic lights, including green, because currently it does not make decisions based upon the colour of the traffic light, only the presence of the traffic light”.

That would make it much clearer as to what its capabilities are. Otherwise people like myself will incorrectly assume that there is a code tree that says “if traffic light is green do X...” “if traffic light is amber do Y...” “if traffic light is red do Z...” when in fact the code tree currently is only “if there is a traffic light do A...”

• Disagree
Reactions: bomidi
It's not a simple logic tree "if this do that". It's a neural network that needs trained. And we're the ones doing the training now by telling the car it's safe to move through the light/intersection or not. Which in and of itself is a problematic approach because it makes us work for Tesla's benefit - at least that feature can be deactivated. We've already all dug deep into our pockets for a vehicle that is significantly sub-par in build quality to any comparable market vehicle. All we really bought that others don't have is Autosteer (which works very well in my case) and fully electric operation with an acceptable range (for the 100kWh battery owners). TACC - the radar based version of which has worked flawlessy for 10 years prior in my Prius - is buggy AF to the point I can't use it unless there is no other traffic around AND I have no pax in the car, because it actually takes more focus to supervise it than it takes to control vehicle speed manually. All in all, my 3 months of owning a Model S Performance with a $202k price tag has been a sobering experience.

The main disappointment I grapple with is the lack of a customer facing bug reporting and ticket management facility à la Jira. And their focus on releasing more games, when simple software improvements should have been rolled out long ago, such as being able to customise the controls at the bottom of the screen (I don 't use seat heaters, let me put something else I access more frequently into those button locations, like the energy monitor), and why doesn't the car remember whether the audio controls were hidden or shown between drives? And why can't the car show a little percentage number inside the battery charge icon? Percentage is critical to know for sentry mode to work, range is critical to know for people who drive new routes often such as myself. Yet for some reason new games are being rolled out. Baffling, to say the least.

Reactions: Chamii123
There is nothing ambiguous about "This feature will slow the car for all detected traffic lights, including green".
Of course there is ambiguity. The car may slow down differently (less or more aggressively) between green, amber and red lights. If there is no difference in how the car behaves based on the colour of the traffic light they should explicitly say so to remove this ambiguity.

ZeeDoktor: Plus one regarding games. There seem more programmers updating video games than the cars' systems. I have to watch online videos of other drivers' experience to find out what the updates actually do - there's no in depth precis in the front of the manual telling us what has changed and why. An airplane operator would have been grounded for the lack of documentation, and the autopilot is arguably operating in a more complex environment than an airplane autolanding.

Of course there is ambiguity. The car may slow down differently (less or more aggressively) between green, amber and red lights. If there is no difference in how the car behaves based on the colour of the traffic light they should explicitly say so to remove this ambiguity.

From using the capability in the USA, I'd recommend taking the statement at face value.

We have LOTS of traffic lights and it required a manual override for each, which got old really quickly.

So I disabled the option, until it gets smarter.

Reactions: bomidi