TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Software updates - Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Grenadine, Nov 3, 2019.

1. moa999

moa999 Member

Interesting.
    Combined with the some YouTubers testing homemade speed signs,
    Possibly suggests that Tesla is actually using Sign Matching to known sign database,

Rather than reading numbers.

So a 40 Area or 40 End sign would be ignored.
    As would a fake 77 sign.

Might be the way around the Mobileye patent.

2. James_B

James_B Member

I got excited this morning as I got a software update notification, but I went to 2020.36.16, rather than 2020.40.3. Oh well, hopefully will get another update in the coming days.

• Like x 1
  3. AndyEV

AndyEV Member

Ha, me too. I was superkeen to see the sign recognition, but got upgraded from 2020.36.10 to......2020.36.11. ;)

• Like x 2
  4. malc01

malc01 Member

2020.40.3 installed yesterday on Model 3.
    Speed sign recognition working with mixed results.
    It identified a transition from 60 to 50 correctly with the sign animated on the screen as I drove past.
    Later in a 60 zone it switched to 40 when I passed a bus. It had reacted to the signage on the back of the bus.
    upload_2020-10-9_14-54-15.jpeg

• Funny x 6
    • Informative x 1
  5. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

Semantic vs pragmatic understanding is going to be a problem for a while

6. ZeeDoktor

ZeeDoktor Member

I'm at quite a loss with the new camera based speed limits. They don't really work. Or they really don't work. It's always one of the two.

What's worse is there is no dash indication declaring the source of the currently applied speed limit. That makes it all but impossible to evaluate which part of the system is failing us. NN or faulty maps?

I drove through Lane Cove tunnel today, and it still showed a 40 limit near the exit travelling direction city, like it often does, thinking I'm not inside the tunnel but on a neighbourhood street above.

How hard can it possibly be to tell the machine that if there's no GPS signal and you were in a tunnel you almost certainly still are in the tunnel!

7. SandyP

SandyP Member

Speed sign recognition had been added for local roads in AU, but are yet to be added for highways in AU.

From release notes for AU:

Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads.

From release notes for US:

In addition to local roads, Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data for highways.

Hopefully we will see another update to add it for AU highways.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. moa999

moa999 Member

And you can tell it's working when the speed sign is displayed on the screen

Plus wouldn't be surprised when they switch on the system for freeways that it doesn't detect the negative (white text on black) electronic signs.

9. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

Might be a reason to have the car’s data sharing turned on - speed up the learning process

10. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

Not sure why but i'm about to start the install of 2020.40.4 (was on 2020.40.3)

I assume some hotfix.

11. JohnBNE

JohnBNE Member

Me too.

12. James_B

James_B Member

Yeah, I just got a notification for 2020.40.4 too, moving from 2020.36.16

13. Hairyman

Hairyman Member

14. JohnBNE

JohnBNE Member

• Like x 1
  15. James_B

James_B Member

I figured this would be the case, but confirmed now that the speed sign recognition is only for HW3.0. I'm on HW2.5 on my Model S. I contacted service again the other day about when upgrades would be available (I have purchased FSD), but they still have no timeframe.

16. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

Well if the green light recognition is anything to go by, it still needs some more training for Australia. I look at the screen and either get the green light from the other side of the street going across or a green arrow, both seen as good to go. Probably a Aust traffic light on poles thing compared to the USA where most lights are overhead on the power lines.

Admittedly a drag mode where it does a full launch on green would be good to see working for drag events.

• Love x 1
  17. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

Is it possible to turn the visual recognition off and have it solely use the maps?

I generally find the maps speed limits to be fine, and only fail when in tunnels or in temporary speed limit areas (e.g. construction zones).

Another example of Tesla trying to fix something that wasn’t really broken?

18. m4rtin

m4rtin Member

so, it's now wrong more than it was before :confused:

any ideas how we can help train it? i.e. there are some kinds of signs which don't apply to cars which it uses, like this one

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 8.30.08 pm.png

19. Stratman

Stratman Member

I don't think the "AI" is that smart yet and I suspect it probably does nothing much in Aus. You would think if it is actually learning anything my regular drive along a marked road that widens the car would not dart from left to right trying to put itself in a lane when its simply not required. The correct steering position that the human easily comprehends is that no steering correction or movement is required at all.

Ooops, my bad, It just occurred to me ... the car doesn't actually comprehend anything :eek:

20. bomidi

bomidi Member

Installed 2020.40.4 and the release notes are the same as 2020.40.3 (must be some urgent bug fixes).