Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's one hell of some processing to make that look like 45
(Which afaik isn't even a valid speed limit in AU)
Valid speed limits in AU are whatever the road authority sets. If a road authority wanted to set a speed limit of 74 km/h somewhere they could. However in practice only multiples of 10 are used for speed limit signs, and advisory speed signs (the yellow ones used on crests and curves) almost always end in ‘5’ (25, 35, 45 etc). This makes compliance more likely, as a larger set of seemingly random values would just confuse people.

Speaking of which, does Tesla recognise advisory speed limit signs? I’ve only done urban driving since the speed sign recognition capability was added and advisory speed limit signs are rare in the city.

A carpark near me has a speed limit sign in it of ‘4’. It’s the lowest speed limit sign I have ever seen. One day I’ll see if Slartibartfast recognises it.

I think the cameras are processing the image to maximise utility for the car to be able to differentiate different objects in view. I think adding the side reversing cameras was a quick software fix and changing the colour-cast to match the rear camera is still waiting to happen.

The contrast on the side cameras is much sharper and I find it more useful, if a bit ugly.

To anyone who might have seen the blackbox videos and data in this thread: I've put all my processing scripts into the following git: InsideSystems/TeslaBlackbox includes the TesLAX TLPs for the Model S. This does summary stats in terminal, plotting of graphs, and video overlay production (albeit without the special font I'm using as I don't own the rights to that).

Interesting, that’s the opposite way to the 3 which has the rear motor as the master and the front the slave.

Model 3 has the rear motor as a PM motor for efficiency and front induction motor for acceleration as PM motor has torque ripple.

Old Model S has rear motor as induction and front motor of a much higher gearing so the front one gets used during cruising.

Raven Model S has the rear motor as an induction but front motor is replaced with the PM motor for efficiency.

I am not sure how a hypothetical "boosted" Raven long range S compares to a performance 3 - I would presume the Model S would feel bit more punchy and better handeling while also being more efficient.

I can only imagine the reason for the performance 3 having the induction motor in the front as it made the design/engineering easier as the SR+ comes with a PM motor in the back and so did the RWD as well as the performance now. Induction in rear and small PM motor for cruising in the front would have been more efficient.

• Informative
Reactions: Fazza
20.48.5 out today.

Better dictation for sending text messages

Better Trax composition software

Better Sentry mode - records panic events to internal memory that you can then download to a USB stick. Didn’t give a definition of what the car considers a panic event. Presumably at least the horn.
5B502019-DE3A-4E19-85A7-D2F342E53E6C.jpeg
97C81294-E0A9-4D78-937F-8B29D1D1F108.jpeg

My car seem to change the setting of the headlights after each update. Or at least I think it’s after every update. I couldn’t be sure as my wife drives it almost if the time. I’ve had to readjust the headlights several times. Why would Tesla think it is a good idea to change the setting with each update?

My car seem to change the setting of the headlights after each update. Or at least I think it’s after every update. I couldn’t be sure as my wife drives it almost if the time. I’ve had to readjust the headlights several times. Why would Tesla think it is a good idea to change the setting with each update?

I find that some settings don't 'stick', especially if you have driver profiles and easy entry. I have tested it with settings like window close, and mirror fold. I can set them, leave the car, come back, and they've unset. If you toggle them on and off and switch between your profile and easy entry, repeat toggling, it usually sticks. I've been considering turning off easy entry and see if it helps.

Yep, mine seems to reset the headlight position after each update as well. I started noticing when oncoming traffic would flash their highbeams at me and I thought something was up. Seems each time an update is applied, the driver side headlight adjust 'up' too far to the point where oncoming traffic think I have high beams on. Once adjusted down, it seems to stick fine until the next update...

Yep, mine seems to reset the headlight position after each update as well. I started noticing when oncoming traffic would flash their highbeams at me and I thought something was up. Seems each time an update is applied, the driver side headlight adjust 'up' too far to the point where oncoming traffic think I have high beams on. Once adjusted down, it seems to stick fine until the next update...
Me too. Obviously this is a thing, and not just my imagination!